Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Illusions Canyon- AZ

Illusions Canyon- AZ

Ever since I saw the pics of Illusions Canyon about year ago, it has been on the very top of my to do list. The stars finally alligned 2 weeks ago and I was not disappointed! This canyon is absolutely GORGEOUS! Moss covered walls, tight twisty narrows, spicy downclimbs, amazing arches and lots of cold water greeted us around every corner!

There are 5 or 6 potential keeper potholes in the canyon, and the last pothole is a MONSTER! Some friends went down a couple years back when the water level was 15' below the lip of the pothole and they still were unable to touch bottom... oh and there was a dead bear in the pothole at the time also! Canyoneering! Kinda like fun......

We had been getting consitent rain from the monsoons down here in AZ, so we caught the canyon while it was flowing! There was no pothole escapes required and the lip of the big keeper was 2' under water. It was a unbelievably fun day with an awesome group. Cant wait to do this one again!

Name:  P1060511.jpg
Views: 2132
Size:  180.5 KB

Name:  P1060517.jpg
Views: 2332
Size:  115.9 KB

Climbing thru an arch

Name:  P1060525.jpg
Views: 1877
Size:  102.3 KB

Name:  P1060541.jpg
Views: 1876
Size:  91.4 KB

Arch that we rappeled thru!

Name:  P1060553.jpg
Views: 1762
Size:  65.8 KB

She was flowing!!!

Name:  P1060570.jpg
Views: 2039
Size:  111.4 KB

Name:  P1060571.jpg
Views: 1723
Size:  63.3 KB

Name:  P1060578-edit.jpg
Views: 1804
Size:  119.8 KB

Name:  250227_4047920874863_1874793640_n.jpg
Views: 1708
Size:  77.1 KB

Name:  523184_4047921754885_2065792988_n.jpg
Views: 1738
Size:  153.3 KB

Name:  P1060591.jpg
Views: 1641
Size:  135.5 KB

Name:  P1060605.jpg
Views: 1680
Size:  111.9 KB

Looking back up the keeper rap

Name:  P1060609.jpg
Views: 1745
Size:  203.3 KB

Rapping into the keeper pothole

Name:  P1060625.jpg
Views: 1670
Size:  178.0 KB

The big keeper pothole completely full!

Name:  P1060634.jpg
Views: 1792
Size:  136.0 KB

Looking up into the bottom of Insomnia Canyon

Name:  P1060645.jpg
Views: 1770
Size:  185.7 KB

Hiking out the West Fork of Oak Creek

Name:  P1060657.jpg
Views: 1719
Size:  87.4 KB

The Subway section of West Fork of Oak Creek

Name:  P1060661.jpg
Views: 1667
Size:  81.8 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beautiful! Absolutely Beautiful! and I would rather come across a dead bear in a canyon then a live one.

Thanks for the TR and getting it posted so quickly...and great photos!!!

So I guess now it is my turn to have the canyon at the top of my to-do list. Great photos!

Nice TR!! I imagined that canyon being dark and sinister... but no, it's mossy-green and awesome. Thanks for sharing!

THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

I heard that's it's bolted now. Is that true - or do you still have to possibly build anchors using material from above?

Re: Illusions Canyon- AZ

Quote Originally Posted by seth.l.craig View Post
    So I guess now it is my turn to have the canyon at the top of my to-do list. Great photos!
    X2

Sent using Tapatalk

This

Quote Originally Posted by MrAdam View Post
    Name:  P1060517.jpg
Views: 2332
Size:  115.9 KB
    makes me want to go canyoneering right now

Quote Originally Posted by mzamp View Post
    I heard that's it's bolted now. Is that true - or do you still have to possibly build anchors using material from above?
    Yup, the canyon has been almost completely bolted, especially in the narrows.

Is this one in Todd's book? I'll have to check when I get home. Looks a lot like Imlay. I'll have to make a trip.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Absolutely stunning pictures. I especially love the one with the light and water coming through the hole in the grotto roof. Great trip report. Where can I get the beta on this canyon?
    You just don't know how fast things can go wrong!

www.parkcitycarservice.com "Just Leave the driving to us"
    866-361-2925

This one is Not in the book. Not a lot of beta out there. MrAdam posted this in response to my thread for beta. Sounds like the canyon is now well bolted. So just go prepared for escaping if the water is low. I am going through on Oct 8th. I will post current conditions and pics within a few days of that trip. Should be a blast!!!

So it seems to be a tributary of the West Fork, so...what is the access? A dirt road perhaps or do you hike in from the highway? By all means, tell us how to get to it as it looks like a lot of fun.

Illusions Canyon- AZ

There two ways to approach:
    1. Leave a car at the mouth of the West Fork of Oak creek. Drive up to Flagstaff and many miles down Woody Mountain Road (dirt) and drop in. This requires a very long drive back to the drop in point to retrieve the car at the top.
    2. Hike up the AB Young trail in Oak Creek Canyon (2000 ft. elevation gain) and then about two miles to the drop in. Exit the West Fork and walk the road 1.5 miles back to the car.

It's a long day either way.

http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=15754

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by Bluff-Canyoneer View Post
    There two ways to approach:
    1. Leave a car at the mouth of the West Fork of Oak creek. Drive up to Flagstaff and many miles down Woody Mountain Road (dirt) and drop in. This requires a very long drive back to the drop in point to retrieve the car at the top.
    2. Hike up the AB Young trail in Oak Creek Canyon (2000 ft. elevation gain) and then about two miles to the drop in. Exit the West Fork and walk the road 1.5 miles back to the car.

It's a long day either way.

http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=15754

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    There are also forest roads which connect the 89A to Woddy Mountain Rd (FR 231), although the road numbers/directions escape me at the moment, which will save the long drive up to Flagstaff. The shuttle ends up taking about 2 hours round trip if using the forest roads.

The hike up the AB Young trail isnt too bad. The rest of the crew I went with camped up top near the canyon drop in overnight and took my canyon gear up with them. The next morning I drove up from the valley and hiked up the AB Young with a light pack in a little over and hour. YMMV

Sure enough, I forgot about the Forest Service 535 road. It will save many, many miles of driving.
    Name:  Illusions.jpg
Views: 1469
Size:  78.5 KB

Beautiful canyon!! Need to get there!
    - Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by MrAdam View Post
    oh and there was a dead bear in the pothole at the time also! Canyoneering! Kinda like fun......
    Dead bear in the last pothole of Illusions.

Name:  Bear 4.jpg
Views: 1269
Size:  68.9 KB

Name:  Bears 3.jpg
Views: 1157
Size:  51.4 KB

Name:  Bears 2.jpg
Views: 1269
Size:  44.2 KB

People! Illusions is a secret Arizona canyon. Only Arizona folks are allowed to descend it!
    Please remove immediately all references, pictures and beta of this canyon RIGHT NOW!

Nahhh... just kidding... I think anyone that likes canyoneering deserves to experience this cool canyon.
    But don't be fooled, many AZ folk (Todd Martin included) want to keep Illusions (and Insomnia) secret so that only them and whoever they deem worthy can descend it. So you won't find any beta on Illusions or Insomnia in Todd Martin books, but you'll be able to find pieces of beta here and there online, even GPS tracks.

I did Sundance, Illusions and Insomnia last July over a 3 day weekend.
    The canyons have multiple bolts, yes, but I would not call them "ruined" for that [as other AZ folks do].
    But you do not HAVE TO use the bolts. If you have good ghosting, sand traps and floating anchor building skills you can do the whole canyon without using a single bolt. It will take 4 times longer, but that's the fun of it, right?
    There were mutiple spots with no bolts where retrievable and floating anchors were still mandatory. Bring webbing and be ready to rebuild anchors if those have been washed off with the summer flash floods (happens every summer).

Service road 535 looks good on paper, in reality (we drove it) it's so mangled you need to go so slow it's actually faster to drive all the way back to flagstaff and take the traditional route around.