Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canyoneering death in the Subway

Canyoneering death in the Subway

Anyone out ther have information about a possible death in the Subway?
    --
    Matthew

"If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously reexamine your life."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/54...-zion.html.csp

Wow. Foot caught?

My condolences to all involved.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

We were there today, saw the body, and passed SAR on their way in. On the final rappell a guy used logs over a waterfall rather than the bolts. SAR told us his autoblock got caught in his descender, and he was stuck. He apparently tried to cut himself out of his harness, inverting himself in the process and got his legs stuck (on leg loops?) His partner was on the ground but unable to help so they went for help but couldn't figure out how to exit the canyon in the looming darkness. The partner contacted SAR this morning, and body recovery is happening tomorrow via long-line. Lots of parties passed the body today (us included) - pretty somber.

Unclear if the guy died from being inverted in his harness overnight, harness-induced pathology, or exposure from a cascading icy waterfall. He had a helmet, and he didn't appear close enough to a wall for trauma to be a factor.

I'm sure a more official incident report will be out soon - so lets try to hold judgement and speculation.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Terribly sad

Re: Canyoneering death in the Subway

Wow...

Sent using Tapatalk

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Incredibly sad. My condolences to his family and others involved.
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by MattLeonard View Post
    We were there today, saw the body, and passed SAR on their way in. On the final rappell a guy used logs over a waterfall rather than the bolts. SAR told us his autoblock got caught in his descender, and he was stuck. He apparently tried to cut himself out of his harness, inverting himself in the process and got his legs stuck (on leg loops?) His partner was on the ground but unable to help so they went for help but couldn't figure out how to exit the canyon in the looming darkness. The partner contacted SAR this morning, and body recovery is happening tomorrow via long-line. Lots of parties passed the body today (us included) - pretty somber.

Unclear if the guy died from being inverted in his harness overnight, harness-induced pathology, or exposure from a cascading icy waterfall. He had a helmet, and he didn't appear close enough to a wall for trauma to be a factor.

I'm sure a more official incident report will be out soon - so lets try to hold judgement and speculation.
    Good info, thanks for the post. I'm still trying to recover from the last time I saw a dead body. Course it was a buddie who blew his brains out, but I'm sure it was still traumatic seeing that for you too. Keep a close eye on yourself and if you start feeling crappy, get help. It sneaks up on ya.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Tragic. My heart goes out to the family.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
    Tragic. My heart goes out to the family.

X2

So very sad. Thank you for the information. I had heard only that it had happened. Prayers and condolences for the victim his partner and the families.
    --
    Matthew

"If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously reexamine your life."

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    Incredibly sad. My condolences to his family and others involved.
    X2

:-(
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Man dies after spending night upside down in Zion Subway by McKenzie Romero

ZION NATIONAL PARK

That anchor wasnt there 2 weeks ago. I rigged that rappel off the logs 2 weeks ago. We placed a new log and put brand new webbing on it. I don't necessarily feel responsible but it hits close to home.
    Damn.

I was wondering who placed the new log.

I'm really curious why the guy couldn't get free. Also wonder why the partner didn't climb back to the top and help. Currently there is a log between the waterfall and the bolted anchors that allows easy access to the upper subway from the lower subway.

Sent using Tapatalk

That was my log. My friend and I dragged it from about 20' away a week after the big flash. It was a fun rap right next to the falls and we joked about how we were building a sucker anchor. Makes me sick to think about it...

Dang, anybody have a pic of this spot?

I wish I did. It's at the very last waterfall that most people bypass for the bolts 30 yards down canyon on the left. Right above all the bottom-up hikers. There is a big crack that runs perpendicular above the slot below and the waterfall come in from the canyon right side of the T. When rappelling, the waterfall is just a few feet away and you can put your feet in it or swing into it one you're a couple feet down the rope. Nice rap if you ask me

I think adding the additional log above the existing log actually made it a little easier to get on rope relative to what it was before. With that being said, I can see how anyone unfamiliar with starting rappels at your feet could struggle and have the rope slip and get the autoblock caught. Unfortunately I suppose it also invites people who probably shouldn't be on a rappel like that to try it. Sad situation.

Canyons themselves invite people who shouldn't be there...

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I was wondering who placed the new log.

I'm really curious why the guy couldn't get free. Also wonder why the partner didn't climb back to the top and help. Currently there is a log between the waterfall and the bolted anchors that allows easy access to the upper subway from the lower subway.

Sent using Tapatalk
    That log is no longer there. I will post a picture later.
    Chere'