Thread: New fly rod

New fly rod

So I am thinking about taking the plunge on a new 4 piece 3 wt. fly rod. Anyone have one that when you think about it your mouth kind of waters? Like thinking of cracking an Alaskan Amber on the river when its 80+ outside.

It would be used mainly for Uintas/Winds/any mountain stream with dries. I'm thinking of spending somewhere in between $200-400.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I have a 2 and 3 wt sage both in 2 piece rods. They are 7' 9". In these smaller weights, I prefer a 2 piece for a smooth casting stroke. I would definitely stay with a high end manufacturer. Take a look at Orvis. They are one of the oldest rod companys and they have the money and they have spent the money furthering rod building technology. My Helios is the best rod that I have ever used.

Thanks for the input RedFox. The reason I was thinking a 4 piece was due to being an avid backcountry backer. But I'm sure a two piece at that length would work out well considering it would be on the outside of my pack for quick access. I'm going to check out the Helios.

Re: New fly rod

I forgot to mention that only my light rods are 2 piece. My other rods are all 4 piece. I am very picky about fly rods. I have made 6 rods using single foot guides to minimize any negative affects with the natural flex of the graphite.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I have a 3wt 3 piece sage rod that is 7'-9". love it. Been backpacking up to the Cottonwoods in the sierras with it almost every year for the last 10 years. Bomber. I also have a 4 piece orivs 1wt that casts beautifully. Like Red I'm particular about my casting in a 4 piece rod but have been very surprised and pleased with the Orvis Superfine. It was spendy, way more than my sage, but worth every cent. I've broken the tip twice (both in car/trunk door situations) and both times I've had a replacement tip in less than a couple of weeks.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I appreciate it.

I have a Winston IM6 7'6" 3P 3W that I absolutly love..... Winston doesn't make the rod any longer, but sometimes you can find them on Ebay.... I came very close to buying a 9' 4W IM6 off EBay recently.....

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum