Thread: Illusions <--> Insomnia

Illusions <--> Insomnia

There is not a lot of beta out there on these two canyons. We are considering heading down Illusions in two weeks. Does anyone have a good description and/or coordinates for the drop in locations for both Insomnia and Illusions? It seems obvious which one is which from the little info I gathered, but it can never hurt to double check with someone who knows for sure (you can't believe everything you read...especially on the net)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I bet this fella is an awesome resource, though I don't know who he is.

Vaporman, are you out there?
    http://hikearizona.com/dex2/profile.php?u=19735

It looks like he has done both canyons a few times.

THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

I have not done either canyon... but here is what I know...

N34

I just did Illusions 2 weekends ago and had a friend do it last weekend also. The canyon was flowing when I went thru and all the potholes are full of cold water. The lip of the big keeper pothole was under 2 feet of water. No pothole escapes required at this time.

This is an amazing canyon, quite possibly the most beautiful canyon I have ever been thru. I will try to post a TR with some pics and video later tonight.

Oh and no need for a shuttle! Park outside the Bootlegger day use area and hike up the AB Young trail. It adds a couple miles and about 2k elevation gain, but saves the 2 hour shuttle afterwards!

I'm planning to do Illusions and possibly Insomnia sometime during 2013. I'm looking for a short and sweet exit (yes, the AB Young trail looks ok, but maybe there is a better option) The gully in green looks like it might be climbable. I know that it's a shot in the dark, but has anyone ever used this gully as an exit?

Name:  illusions.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  134.7 KB
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    I'm planning to do Illusions and possibly Insomnia sometime during 2013. I'm looking for a short and sweet exit (yes, the AB Young trail looks ok, but maybe there is a better option) The gully in green looks like it might be climbable. I know that it's a shot in the dark, but has anyone ever used this gully as an exit?
    Looks like that gully gains 1,000' in elevation in 1/3 of a mile, thats over a 50% grade, pretty much guaranteed to have some drops big drops in there. Also that lower section is choked with trees, brush and under growth. If it does play, it would be a pretty brutal hike out.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAdam View Post
    Looks like that gully gains 1,000' in elevation in 1/3 of a mile, thats over a 50% grade, pretty much guaranteed to have some drops big drops in there. Also that lower section is choked with trees, brush and under growth. If it does play, it would be a pretty brutal hike out.
    That is pretty much what I was thinking (but hoping otherwise). After doing a few improbable looking exits recently, I was hoping to add this one to this list. Looks like that's a "no".

Illusions <--> Insomnia

If you are coming down to az for some canyons next year, let me know the wife and I would love to join you.

Quote Originally Posted by dweaver2130 View Post
    If you are coming down to az for some canyons next year, let me know the wife and I would love to join you.
    Will do. See you at Freeze Fest.

Bob

Hey all,
    So I have a question about insomnia canyon. I see mixed beta that lists the big drop as anywhere from 320 to 360+ feet in length. Can anybody confirm the longest drop in this canyon? From videos, there looks to be a ledge around 40-50 feet up from the bottom of the drop that may potential serve as a 2nd station to finish the rappel. To me, that could account for the variance in reports lengths of the drop if there is a 2nd station there. Does anyone know if there is a 2nd station there or could it potentially become a station?

Thanks!!

I have only heard 320ft. But I wil ask my friends that have done it for clarification. That one is next on our list, as we just got a 360ft rope. When are you planning on going?

Thanks!! I'm looking at going in May or possibly April if the roads dry out early enough. Do you have a date in mind yourself?

I did insomnia with a 330 ft rope and had a good 10 ft to spare at the bottom. There is a stage a little ways up but I didn't pay much attention to it because my rope did it in one shot with no problem.
    We left one car at the road side parking area just up from Call of the Wild and drove about 2 miles to Bootlegger picnic area and hiked up the AB Young trail as an approach. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by dcanyonk View Post
    Thanks!! I'm looking at going in May or possibly April if the roads dry out early enough. Do you have a date in mind yourself?
    Not sure yet. Last weekend in April is a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by mzamp View Post
    Not sure yet. Last weekend in April is a possibility.
    320ft will be enough to get down all the way & yes there's a big ledge 40-50ft up from the bottom that you could get off rope and anchor from a large bush if absolutely needed. Tough it's nice to have a 350ft+ rope so you have plenty of extra for a fireman's belay while standing back 50ft to avoid neck fatigue...

April would prob be too early for Woody Mt Road to be re-opened since it usually re-opens in mid-May though you could always use the AB Young trail to get to the top. Most weekends in late May to early Sept, you could prob get away without a wetsuit or shorty at most but in late April I'd be recommending a full wetsuit. I took a shorty in late April once and froze my rear off...

17. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    This will be the year where these canyons gain lots of traffic and popularity. Please be sensitive and careful, educate your group before 'tearing it up'.

There are 4 neat 'corkscrew' features in Illusions. Tight and twisted water carved flutes. You set your rear into the cork screw and with lots of friction, you can scootch and drop down 20-30 feet. Super FUN!

NOTICE: Too much hardware on your harness will scrape, scratch and dig into the sandstone ... Put away as much hardware as you can prior. Canyon leader as well as the rest of the group. Those that hang 20 pieces of 'just in case' gear will leave behind long lasting scars.

NOTICE: Large swaths and blankets of pristine mosses. Be certain that each person in the group knows how to get on and off of the moss without destroying it. Don't be the one who left 'Moose Tracks'. Caution should be given to each person in the group ... prior to descending. These mosses occur in areas where we walk (slippery down climbs) and rappel. Please, don't be the one who should have said something. Be the one who cares about this 'new' canyon and it's future.

(end soapbox :)

Neoprene = Lots. Especially for Illusions.
    I recommend a full length 5mm suit ... even in the heat of summer. Illusions is the coldest canyon that I've been in. Those choosing to run this canyon early season (April), will be uncomfortably cold w/o dry suits. All canyons are 'more beautiful' and 'more fun' when your group is not SHIVERING mid-way through. The water course in Illusions is 2-4 hours long. Plan on being IN cold water for 4 hours.

You can get away with a bit less wet-suit when running Insomnia. Then again, if you have any slow people, the wait atop or below the big rappel could be shiver-fest.

I have good tolerance to cold compared to most. Even tho: I'm still a fan of bringing the full suit, all summer. That's a luxury that has paid off many times for me. Wet canyons rule but only if you have enough neo to stay comfortable, IMO.

Illusions: One more reason why Sedona is awesome.

zul

19. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Thanks for all the information everyone. And great points Zul. Illusions was looking great when I went through it last fall. Let's keep it that way!!

Thanks to everyone that provided info.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Great advice on Illusions zul!

Also, be aware that many of the bolts in Illusions were removed back in November 2012. Be aware of this and be prepared to possibly have to farm anchor materials from above or below drops in the canyon. If I remember correctly, only 3 of the 12-15 drops in the canyon are bolted now.