Thread: The Black Hole of White Canyon

The Black Hole of White Canyon

Steph, Tyler, Aralynn and I splashed through the Black Hole on September 16th, 2012.

That canyon was such a blast! It's pretty easy, kind of like The Subway only shorter. There is one big difference; the good part of The Black Hole is much longer than the good part of The Subway.

The hike went as expected until we arrived at the Black Hole proper. We swam through oohing and ahhing at the spectacular rock ceiling and beauty of the walls. Just at the height of our enjoyment, *squish*, we ran into an 8 inch thick mat of pine needles and logs. It was like being in the trash compacter in Star Wars. It was a stinky mess (Tyler even got the dry heaves), but it was kind of fun and challenging to forge through.

Tyler and Aralynn were the cleanest after the hike, so they hitchhiked to the top to retrieve our car. They were picked up by two Federal Agents that were armed to the teeth. They had to frisk Tyler and Aralynn before letting them in the vehicle. I guess they were pretty nice after the initial frisking. Thanks for giving them a ride guys!

Name:  IMG_4847.JPG
Views: 1030
Size:  226.6 KB

Name:  IMG_4860.JPG
Views: 1028
Size:  157.3 KB

Name:  IMG_4881.JPG
Views: 1145
Size:  218.8 KB

Name:  IMG_4896.JPG
Views: 1083
Size:  192.3 KB

Name:  IMG_4903.jpg
Views: 1102
Size:  72.6 KB

Name:  IMG_4837.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  75.9 KB
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

2. Likes Mountaineer, Brian in SLC liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Sweeet. Good on ya. Tom

Nice pictures.

The Black Hole is one of my all time favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post

The Black Hole is one of my all time favorites.
    x2
    - Gavin

Still one of my very favorite canyons. I'm sad I haven't managed to get down there this year.
    --Cliff

Looks like a nice, low-stress, enjoyable adventure--compared to the day before.

How was the water temp? Did y'all ever get cold?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    Looks like a nice, low-stress, enjoyable adventure--compared to the day before.

How was the water temp? Did y'all ever get cold?
    The Black Hole was very relaxing after a long day in Shenanigans. We were hobbling and groaning until our muscles warmed up.

The water was pretty nice, 60-65 degrees maybe? Tyler and I wore 3/2 wetsuits. I was fine, Tyler was pretty cold by the end, but he has no body fat. We also wore booties, no gloves. The ladies wore 7mm wetsuits with booties and were toasty warm. Steph was a little too warm and had her wetsuit unzipped much of the time.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

10. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Federal agents armed to the teeth picking up hitchhikers in middle of nowhere UT, wtf!!?!? =)

Quote Originally Posted by marlowequart View Post
    Federal agents armed to the teeth picking up hitchhikers in middle of nowhere UT, wtf!!?!? =)
    Yeah, I guess they were headed home after some "situation".

They were pretty cool IMO, they saved us a 2 mile walk up a hill. Finally, my tax dollars going to good use!!

Just got around to reading this TR.. Very cool! I like the Star Wars reference.

14. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Swimming through that stuff was crazy, and sooo funny.

Our oohs and ahhs resonated under the boulders as we swam through a thick mat of vegitaton in the Black Hole proper. It was amazingly beautiful...

Then Tyler dowclimbed into the muck behind us and interruped our subdued moment of wonder with, "huuurmph, huuurmph" as he dry heaved loudly, followed soon by our laughter.

Good times.

I went through on 3-31 in a 4 full and a 2 shorty with socks and gloves and got cold. I have low body fat and we weren't moving as fast as I'd liked. I would have used 8 full if I'd known what it was going to be like.

Quote Originally Posted by mcweyen View Post
    I went through on 3-31 in a 4 full and a 2 shorty with socks and gloves and got cold. I have low body fat and we weren't moving as fast as I'd liked. I would have used 8 full if I'd known what it was going to be like.

Nice update. You should consider adding it to www.candition.com.

Bob

If you liked Constrychnine, just wait until you try to other forks next to it! Cool report. Where are you headed in Escalante?

We are going to pack down to Fence Creek / Escalante and do all the canyons in the area - Chop, Neon, Ringtail, East and West Baker and maybe Middle Baker. Then we're coming out and doing E2/3. If we have more time beyond that, I'd better start digging up info on more canyons. I've done the non-technical stuff in the area before - Calf Creek Falls, Zebra, Tunnel, Spooky, Peek-a-Boo, lower Brimstone and the bottom parts of Neon and Ringtail. Have really been wanting to see Chop and Neon!!

I'll have to create a canditions account. I love the updates on that page.