Thread: Heaps and Imlay

Heaps and Imlay

Who here has done them in wetsuits?
    I'm headed down with my girlfriend next week to do these canyons and I want to hear what other people think about water-wear in these canyons. I have a selection of neoprene but I just wanted to gather information and then make my decision based on what I learn.

Anyone?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Went through Imlay Saturday. My wife and I used 5mm wetsuits, I did get a hole in the elbow area of my wetsuit and so did my wife. Good idea to have elbow pads and knee pads. Canyon was full of water, that could change obviously. Log soup at the beginning with a couple big log jams. Great Canyon, have fun

Everytime I've done Imlay and Heaps, I wear a full 3/2 wetsuit with a 2mm full arm jacket or pullover. I normally run cool in cold water, but this has kept me warm every time I've done those canyons.

I also bring 2mm neoprene socks, neoprene gloves, and a beanie or kayaker skull cap to wear under my helmet. Those seem to help keep the body temp up.

Did heaps on Saturday with a 4/3 wetsuit with neo socks and was warm the whole day.
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Heaps: farmer john 7mm first time, full 3 second time, but, I'm pretty hot blooded (ie, I don't get cold easily)...

Imlay: 7mm farmer john first time, nothing second time (super low water), dry suit third time (winter descent in 16F temp's).

Optimal for both for me to be comfy in summer/early fall would probably be a 3/4 or 4/5 full suit.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    I run a little cold, and consider a normal, newish (ie, non-holy) 4/3 suit a little bit light for Imlay, and very light for Heaps. Heaps is 1/3 again colder than Imlay, mostly because it is longer. Bring cookies - keep the heater going!

My normal is a newish 4/3 wetsuit with boosters. I wear light capilene tights plus a capilene shirt as the starter. Can add another capilene shirt if needed. I often bring the 5/3 hooded vest and use it about half the time. Good thing about the vest is that it has a wider fit range, so if someone else is cold they can probably put it on and warm up.

I would consider both canyons are heading towards "being cold". While it is hot during the day, it is fairly cold at night (almost frosted my garden last night at 5000 feet, so getting into the mid-30's) and the days are 50-50 day-night. Recent rainwater is not too cold, but it is quickly cooling off. Being full of water, the canyons are easier, maybe funner, faster and colder than with less water.

Neoprene gloves are very good for swimming, especially in that third section of Heaps. But, they work VERY poorly for rappelling, so be very careful. I take them off to rappel. What seems to work better for me is wearing a Playtex dishwashing glove under the Atlas Thermofit glove - warm enough and rappels well.

Have fun out there. An awesome week of stable weather seems to be in the offing.

Tom

Heaps and Imlay

Excellent, thank you everyone. I'll wear my 5/4mm full suit and my neo socks.
    I'll take my 2mm pull over top to be safe and use it as needed. My GF should be fine in her full 5mm with her jacket.
    Not sure well get heaps done on this trip but another run down kolob and then imlay for sure. Tanks again everyone for your input.