Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shenanigans

Great TR. Penny is awesome. I got stuck in canyon that Penny was leading. I got out. Nuff said! Penny is a great teacher and canyon leader. Shenany is not on my radar. I am larger of frame and better insulated than those that fit.

Great job.
    Life is Good

2. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    The description here is fairly good: http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/utah/...h/shenanigans/
    YMMV, CCPD, etc.

Tom
    Your page is great, I practically have it memorized I've read it so many times.

Anyway, maybe I was unclear with my question...

I was asking Shane about his individual experience at that particular spot. It is not like other skinny spots. Hence the high freak out factor.

Mr Axe, would you mind sharing how you have gotten past that 8 inch wide slot in the past? How did you do it the first time you went to Shenany?
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Re: Shenanigans

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Mr Axe, would you mind sharing how you have gotten past that 8 inch wide slot in the past?
    Easy... peazy.... I use the optional large frame canyoneers exit.

There is no way in hell I'm fitting through an 8" slot. I don't live in a tree and make cookies for a living.

Sent using Tapatalk

6. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Easy... peazy.... I use the optional large frame canyoneers exit.

There is no way in hell I'm fitting through an 8" slot.
    Ah... When I was in there, I thought I might have missed a move to get over that spot. The moves to go over that spot are very difficult, 5.11-5.12ish, that is, if you have nobody helping underneath you.

I got through and watched Tyler walk through at ground level. His ribcage is not the same shape as mine. I'm slightly more barrel chested.

Then I thought about others that I know that have done Shenany. Tom... maaaybe he could fit. Shane... no freaking way. Just sayin'... not in disrespectful way at all, I just thought that it was physically impossible for Shane to fit through.

Thanks for clarifying.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    The location of the floor changes, so where that narrow section is, height-wise, changes on a regular basis.

So...

Jus' sayin'...

Tom

The location of the floor changes, so where that narrow section is, height-wise, changes on a regular basis.

Tom
    Great point, however, the floor would have to go up about 2 1/2 feet from its current level for someone my size to walk through. Just saying, so other people know what they are in for.

Damn that's a crazy TR man. Loved reading it, but yeah I think I would pass as well.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

11. Likes Slot Machine liked this post

So...

Jus' sayin'...

Tom
    I've been doing this canyon once or twice a year. Here is something interesting: I am usually between 145-150 pounds, and I don't fluctuate much. My pectorals are the widest part of me walking sideways.

2011 the levels of sand changed and for my first time I had to get down to the canyon floor to fit!

The two times I did it this spring I walked right through. Perhaps sand levels have again changed.

So...

Jus' sayin'...

Tom
    ICG slot-stilts?

Bob, that was an outstanding TR - the best I have read on Bogley in a long, time. Thank you for bringing us a full-spectrum view, with the internal responses of you and others in the group. That level of writing beats any kind of video - any day.

Slanty Shanty - ugh, yeah what a hell.

14. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Thanks for the kind words. I will take a skinny any day over a stinking silo.
    I have taken two 200 lb men through Shenany. One had a very barrelled chest. He became constricted twice and used a helmet stand to get past the momentary tightness. At the last great constriction of about 8 feet in length, there are two foot holds that lead to a small ledge about 3 feet off the floor. That is enough height to get big boys through there.
    I have also had to drop to one knee to get through there at different sand levels. Mike, it is nice to know it wasn't just the Christmas goodies and that others have had to, also.
    Hank is truly a master at the skinnies. He has, um... bulk and can go through anything I can. Amazing.
    Tom, thanks for the olive oil suggestion. In Matt's case, I think maybe some Keystone is going to be the ticket. The only question: Is it before, during or after Shenany?
    As I recall, Scott you got yourself unstuck in Trail.

Next time I'm in the mood for a skinny canyon, I'll try to remember this trip report...

Yikes!

Nice telliing of the tale!

17. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Much respect to all of you that attempt and complete this canyon. I will stick to the more open ones.

19. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by penmartens View Post
    Thanks for the kind words. I will take a skinny any day over a stinking silo.
    I have taken two 200 lb men through Shenany. One had a very barrelled chest. He became constricted twice and used a helmet stand to get past the momentary tightness. At the last great constriction of about 8 feet in length, there are two foot holds that lead to a small ledge about 3 feet off the floor. That is enough height to get big boys through there.
    I have also had to drop to one knee to get through there at different sand levels. Mike, it is nice to know it wasn't just the Christmas goodies and that others have had to, also.
    Hank is truly a master at the skinnies. He has, um... bulk and can go through anything I can. Amazing.
    Tom, thanks for the olive oil suggestion. In Matt's case, I think maybe some Keystone is going to be the ticket. The only question: Is it before, during or after Shenany?
    As I recall, Scott you got yourself unstuck in Trail.
    Let the record book show, it was a 5-helmet stack that allowed the escape of Mr. Card from Trail Canyon. And whom were they held in place by???

T

After reading this I had to dig up an old post of my trip through this canyon. Two years later and hopefully just a tad bit wiser, I will make an admission that was at the time left out. We were in this canyon by mistake. Piss poor rookie route finding and fumbling with a borrowed GPS. Still my biggest near-epic to date.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...ht=shenanigans
    "I approach nature with a certain surly ill-will, daring Her to make trouble"

-Edward Abbey

Let the record book show, it was a 5-helmet stack that allowed the escape of Mr. Card from Trail Canyon. And whom were they held in place by???

T
    Glad we had a large group all wearing helmets...

I'll never forget. Me: "Clark, if you just shove me I think I will pop out of this little spot". Clark: "Are you sure?" Me: "Yes" (Big shove on my mid section/hip) Me: "Oh crap" followed by some laughs from me, Clark and Spidey and Dutch Oven John who was directly above me going high. A few tugs later trying to pull me back up canyon proved that I wasn't going side to side and up was my only option. I had plenty of space from my stomach on up. My hips/ rear end on the other hand were firmly wedged. I was a "Scott Chock".

Penny came up with the helmet stack idea and it worked like a charm. It is amazing what a few inches of elevation one way or the other does.
    Life is Good

Wow, that is just an amazing TR. Thank you! Being much bigger I'll stick to other canyons, more suited to my size.

24. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by EvergreenDean View Post
    Two years later and hopefully just a tad bit wiser, I will make an admission that was at the time left out. We were in this canyon by mistake. Piss poor rookie route finding and fumbling with a borrowed GPS. Still my biggest near-epic to date.
    It's funny, I read your TR a couple of times before committing to do Shenanigans. I thought if your buddies can make it through, I sure as hell can make it though. Not being rude, it's just your buddies are significantly bigger than I am. Your TR is what ultimately made me decide to do the canyon.

That being said, I kept wondering, why in the world would a group of 200lb dudes think they can squeeze through Shenany? Super skilled? Super crazy? Both?

Ah, by mistake! It TOTALLY make sense now.

FWIW, I am very impressed everyone in your group kept their cool. Not an easy thing to do in there.