Thread: Lost Rope/Rope Bag in Mystery Canyon

Lost Rope/Rope Bag in Mystery Canyon

The "lake" of Mystery Canyon (deep and swampy right now) swallowed up one of our ropes this past weekend. It's a 120 foot Imlay Canyonero (green/blue), stuffed into a sage green Imlay Bagette. Thankfully, we had enough webbing to serve as a pull cord for the final two raps. If anyone happens to stumble upon it anytime soon, please drop me a line. Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We're going through tomorrow (Tuesday) & will keep a lookout for it. What are the water conditions? Is Mystery Lake back as a swimmer? What do you recommend as far as wetsuits?

Thanks, peakbaggers. Oh yes, the lake is definitely back. It's a long swim (I'd estimate 50 yards or so), and very cold. We didn't wear wetsuits, although there were times when I wished I had (like after Mystery Springs--which is a deep swimming disconnect right now--I was quite cold). There were approx. three other spots in the canyon that were at least chest deep (I'm 6'). All bolts/webbing looked to be in good shape. Everything else seemed "normal". Have fun!

If the waters all murky, may be really hard to spot, but we'll keep a lookout for it. Thanks for the beta on water conditions. Helped us decide on the wetsuits.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbaggers View Post
    Helped us decide on the wetsuits.
    There is no way in hell I'd ever pack a wetsuit through Mystery.

If you have concerns drybag a fleece jacket, its a much better approach to the quick dip you might take.

YMMV

7. Likes plutacratic77 liked this post

9. Likes plutacratic77 liked this post
    Yay! Found rope!

But, really, you had enough webbing to do a pull from the final rappel? Wow...

Lost Rope/Rope Bag in Mystery Canyon

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    But, really, you had enough webbing to do a pull from the final rappel? Wow...
    Yeah. I couldn't believe it myself. 17 separate strands of webbing, slings, and even 4mm paracord, tied together.

12. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    I carry typically 40 to 50 feet of that thin 1/2" webbing sometimes for emergencies but, in a trade canyon, never that much. Extra rope in a larger group, though...

I guess you never know how much until you REALLY need to know...

Nice save! Glad you got your rope/bag back.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by plutacratic77 View Post
    Yeah. I couldn't believe it myself. 17 separate strands of webbing, slings, and even 4mm paracord, tied together.
    I liked Tom's term for it Smorgas-cord
    Chere'

15. Likes Eric Holden liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    I liked Tom's term for it Smorgas-cord
    Bill Westerhoff gets the credit for that...

Tom

17. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    I've been impressed with the amount of successful "lost and found" situations have been solved right here in the bogley community, almost every one of them are people that may have never met otherwise, coming from different areas, backgrounds, experiences... but have the same canyons in common. And usually the lost and found time span is only a few days or less! It's common for complete strangers to do the same canyon and maybe connect a few months or years later online, but a couple of days later in these cases is very cool.

From cameras, lost rope, dry bags, and other random gear, it's great that our members could have a hand in this connection.

We'll all have our different political opinions and choose one smart phone over the other, but what matters most to our community is enjoying the outdoors and making that connection with each other, having a common place to help each other enjoy our natural wonders a little bit more.

Nice work @seth.l.craig

19. Likes blueeyes, mtthwlw liked this post