Thread: Heaps - 14 September 2012

Heaps - 14 September 2012

Heaps is tip-top full of water. Log jams didn't provide any reason for worry. All were bypassed rather quickly. The "log soup" on the other hand was quite a bit more technical than expected. All in all, Heaps was a BLAST and in prime condition! We did the canyon in 4/3 wetsuits and were warm the whole time. Took the two of us from 9am to 9:30 pm to do the hike from Camp site #4 to the last shuttle bus. We were taking our time and enjoying the canyon very much, it was also our first time through Heaps. It took us a couple of hours to safely descend the last 500ft to the emerald pools. We were glad to get down alive and with out any problems. (The Z-rig on my totem with a backup prusik knot worked awesome on my 9.3 Imlay rope)
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    (The Z-rig on my totem with a backup prusik knot worked awesome on my 9.3 Imlay rope)
    Curious, how did you rig your totem for a Z? Did you go all the way to your leg and back up and then down again, or just down to a carabiner on your leg? Throttle mode or figure 8? If you had a pic showing your setup that would be great!

4. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Here is a picture of how to do a z-rig with the totem. This picture demo's how to do it with two strands, I did it with one and attached a prusik to my leg loop. I will try and show a picture of that later.

Name:  Totem Z Rig.png
Views: 3710
Size:  224.0 KB
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

I don't think I would rig a Z-rig that way (at least if I am seeing the picture correctly). You have trapped yourself into using the Z-rig the entire length of the rappel and if the friction is too much you are screwed. One of the major benefits of the Z-rig is it's extremely adjustable where you can go from standard rappel, to leg loop to z-rig and back as more or less friction is required.

This also shows why I hate the Totem (besides it's size), to many options that are not as good as doing it correctly to start with. The best use I can think if for a Totem is paper weight or bottle opener. YMMV

Name:  rappel_z_diagram.jpg
Views: 7703
Size:  114.8 KB

I have used this numerous times but never done 2 opposed biners above the ATC. Is this for safety? More Friction? Thanks

Re: Heaps - 14 September 2012

I have never used two opposed biners, I assume this is a safety issue for nonlocking biners. I always use one locking biner on the leg and a second locker at the top. I swiped the pic from the web because it does a good job of showing a proper z-rig.

FWIW I don't even carry any non lockers.

Sent using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    I have used this numerous times but never done 2 opposed biners above the ATC. Is this for safety? More Friction? Thanks
    Safety and friction. Article/sketch was in a climbing magazine. If you were on a steep wall, rappelling a single line especially with a pig (heavy haul bag), you'd want to darn sure have your friction dialed... I rapped off a wall in Zion after fixing a couple of pitches, one of which was fixed with a 7mm tag line. Dumb and didn't do that again. Rappelling single strand with a load off a static 7mm wasn't a great idear...and...jugging back up the next day even dumber...

Live and learn...

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    FWIW I don't even carry any non lockers.
    I do and use them quite often. Had to beat up a Petzl Attache in Europe that was hopelessly screwed shut. Crazy.

For some tethering, and, for rigging friction on the fly, I like the non-locker wire gates much better. Fast in and out, and, no chance to get stuck closed.