Thread: Looking for canyon recommendations

Looking for canyon recommendations

Hi all!

We're planning a trip to Zion and Escalante the first week of October. We've both done many Zion canyons, incl. Englestead, Spry, Pine Creek. Chris has gone through Imlay and Heaps, as well. We're looking to do Das Boot + Subway and Behunin this time around. Does anyone have suggestions for Escalante canyons (we've got Neon and Egypt III on the radar), or places around/between Zion and Escalante? We haven't done a lot of anchor building, and would like some longer raps if possible (we've got a 200' and a 200' pull cord to work with).

Thanks!

K

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Choprock is cool but long and cold. It can be technical.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm guessing that since the reports that I've seen about Neon are saying it's pretty full, that means Choprock is pretty difficult these days?

Probably. Its getting late in the season. Short days, colder, and lots of water = not good conditions.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by COgirl View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm guessing that since the reports that I've seen about Neon are saying it's pretty full, that means Choprock is pretty difficult these days?
    Correct. Unpredictable, could be only long cold and moderately difficult, or could be long cold and require really difficult climbing.

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/utah/escalante/choprock/

Also, Neon can hold a LOT of water. If you do the 'sport entrance', it is not a big deal; but if you do the 'more fun' entrance or even further up, there can be a LOT of swimming involved, so be sure to be well-insulated for that one.

I thought Davis was a remarkable canyon, not all that difficult, lots of downclimbing, only a short rope needed maybe, I'd bring wetsuits considering the rain, get an early start. Nice camping at the head of the canyon if you have the vehicle to get down there.

Tom