Thread: Favorite SIMPLE Recipes

Favorite SIMPLE Recipes

I need to find some new SIMPLE recipes. Something you make several times a year, or more because it tastes good and is easy to make. Spicy Shepherds Pie is one we make around the Ice household. Actually this is one my kids make when mom is working late and someone needs to feed the dad.

Spicy Shepherd's Pie

1 package (6.6 ounces) instant mashed potatoes
    1 pound ground beef
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 can (14-1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 can Mexicorn, drained
    1 can (2-1/4 oz.) sliced olives, drained
    1 envelope taco seasoning
    1-1/2 tsp. chili powder
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. garlic powder
    1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided

Prepare mashed potatoes according to package directions. Meanwhile, in large skillet, cook beef and onions until the meat is browned; drain. Add tomatoes, corn, olives, and seasonings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes. Transfer to a greased baking dish (I used a 9x13"). Top with 3/4 cup cheese. Spread potatoes over top; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Pho,
    Buy Pho Bo paste, and thin rice noodles from asian market
    Boil 2 pots of water (1 for noodles 1 for Pho broth) cook as directed on package
    put noodles and broth in large bowl with thinly sliced beef, some bean sprouts, a little thi basil, some hoisin sauce, a squeeze of lime juice, some of your fave pepper sauce and enjoy :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

The good part about this recipe is you can get all the ingredients from Costco, and the meal itself costs $1.75 per person. Woot!

Tilapia Fish Goodness

1 - Organic Farm Fresh Tilapia Fillets (1 for each person)
    1 - Sweet French Onion (1 large or 2 small for entire batch)
    - Olive oil
    - Mr Yoshida's Top Secret Sweet and sour cooking sauce
    - Roasted Rasberry Chipotle Sauce
    - Lemon Juice
    - Pre Chopped Garlic
    - Organic Non Salt Seasoning

Mix all contents into a pan in quantities desired. I thaw the fillets out first but probably not needed. Begin cooking on medium heat. Total time to cook is about 12 mins. Leave the onions out until 8ish mins, I like them still crunchy, but if like them soggier put in earlier.

1 - Basmati Long Grain Rice (brown bag variety)
    1 - Coco Real Ultimate margarita coconut flavoring

Put enough rice in the rice cooker for everyone, add coconut flavoring as desired and begin cooking, depending on amount, rice takes 12 mins.

Once everything is done, place the rice one a plate, the Tilapia on top of the rice then as many onions as you want. Use the sauce mixture and pour on top of everything instead of soy sauce to flavor everything. The sauce mixture should have seeped into the fish and gave it a nice rich flavor also. Enjoy! Here's a pic of it cooking, I like to sprinkle the Organic No-Salt Seasoning directly on to the fish to embed it into the meat.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

5. Likes DOSS liked this post
    I love this one.. doesn't take long and is YUMMY

Indian Chicken Curry
    Ingredients

3 tablespoons olive oil
    1 small onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    3 tablespoons curry powder
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1 bay leaf
    1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
    1/2 teaspoon white sugar
    salt to taste
    2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into bite-size pieces
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    1 cup plain yogurt
    3/4 cup coconut milk
    1/2 lemon, juiced
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    Directions

Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Saute onion until lightly browned. Stir in garlic, curry powder, cinnamon, paprika, bay leaf, ginger, sugar and salt. Continue stirring for 2 minutes. Add chicken pieces, tomato paste, yogurt, and coconut milk. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
    Remove bay leaf, and stir in lemon juice and cayenne pepper. Simmer 5 more minutes.
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

7. Likes canyonphile liked this post
    Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    I measure "simple" by a recipe that uses the least amount of ingredients. This one takes only 3.

1 Package of boneless, skinless chicken thighs (6 - 8 thighs)
    1 bottle of Italian salad dressing (you can use Lite, Fat-free, etc if you like)
    1 container of Progresso Italian Style bread crumbs

Arrange chicken thighs in a large baking pan or dish (coat pan first with Pam or some type of oil)
    Pour Italian dressing over each thigh making sure it's well coated
    Shake the bread crumbs over each thigh until fully coated.

Bake at 350 for apprx. 30 - 40 minutes depending on how thick the chicken pieces are. Serve with whatever your favorite side dish is...... salad, pasta, potato, etc.....We like baked sweet potatoes and a salad.
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

I am quite fond of this simple recipe. It is a little more complex than my favorite recipe but I'll start with this tried and true gem.

Buy box of Lucky Charms. Open. Pour in bowl. Add milk. Eat.
    Life is Good

10. Likes tanya, blueeyes, Sombeech, skiclimb3287, REDFOX liked this post
    Buy box of Lucky Charms. Open. Pour in bowl. Add milk. Eat.
    I tried to make that last night, but almost burned the kitchen down.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

12. Likes tanya, Scott Card, Sombeech liked this post
    How many times do I have to tell you.... DON'T warm the milk. YOU.... you better just eat them out of a sandwich bag at church. That should be safe enough.
    Life is Good

I found this in the Better Homes and Garden Cookbook and I fix it occasionally when it's "my turn" and has become one of our favs. Super easy as most items come from a can.

Tex-Mex Chicken and Rice Casserole

Prep: 20 min
    Bake: 25 min
    Oven: 425 F
    Stand: 5 min
    Makes: 6 servings

1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)--I use dried minced onion rehydrated
    1 tablespoon veg oil
    1 6.9-ounce package Rice-A-Roni
    1 14 -ounce can chicken broth
    2 cups water
    2 cups chopped cooked chicken (canned works great)
    1 cup chopped tomato (2 medium)--(I've used canned diced tomatoes, tastes the same)
    1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles
    1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
    1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I use more)

1. In a saucepan cook onion in hot oil over medium heat until tender. Stir in rice-a roni (including seasoning packet); cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in broth and water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes (liquid will not be fully absorbed).

2. Transfer the rice mixture to a large bowl. Stir in chicken, tomato, chile peppers, chili powder, basil, cumin, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Transfer to a 2-quart casserole .

3. Bake, covered, in a 425 degree oven for 25 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with cheese. Let stand about 5 minutes or until cheese melts.

I will add that I cook everything in my favorite 12 inch cast iron skillet and then mix everything else in the same skillet and put it in the oven--works excellent and less dishes to wash.

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    Wow.....this sounds very much like a dish that I make that takes half a day to prepare! I will definitely try it!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    I found this in the Better Homes and Garden Cookbook and I fix it occasionally when it's "my turn" and has become one of our favs. Super easy as most items come from a can.

Tex-Mex Chicken and Rice Casserole

Prep: 20 min
    Bake: 25 min
    Oven: 425 F
    Stand: 5 min
    Makes: 6 servings

1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)--I use dried minced onion rehydrated
    1 tablespoon veg oil
    1 6.9-ounce package Rice-A-Roni
    1 14 -ounce can chicken broth
    2 cups water
    2 cups chopped cooked chicken (canned works great)
    1 cup chopped tomato (2 medium)--(I've used canned diced tomatoes, tastes the same)
    1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles
    1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
    1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I use more)

1. In a saucepan cook onion in hot oil over medium heat until tender. Stir in rice-a roni (including seasoning packet); cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in broth and water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes (liquid will not be fully absorbed).

2. Transfer the rice mixture to a large bowl. Stir in chicken, tomato, chile peppers, chili powder, basil, cumin, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Transfer to a 2-quart casserole .

3. Bake, covered, in a 425 degree oven for 25 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with cheese. Let stand about 5 minutes or until cheese melts.

I will add that I cook everything in my favorite 12 inch cast iron skillet and then mix everything else in the same skillet and put it in the oven--works excellent and less dishes to wash.
    Never regret anything that made you smile!