Thread: Subway - Zion NP

Subway - Zion NP

After completing Das Boot we exited out of the Subway, which is always a treat.

The recent massive flooding has brought a lot of change to the Subway, most of the changes involve the potholes below Keyhole Falls filling with sand. The most dramatic is the long hallway immediately below Keyhole falls. If you are to lazy to watch the entire video you can see the sand filled potholes beginning at 2:10 in the video.

The video also shows the large log that is now jammed into the bowling alley. Currently you can squeeze around the left side of the log. But it will not take much debris to clog this section and create a more difficult problem.

Enjoy the video...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wow that is a lot of sand! That hallway is one of the best features of The Subway, it would be a bummer to hike all that way and to find it buried.

Still looks like fun! Nice video!
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

I didn't think it was better or worse.... it was just different. All of which I consider just part of canyoneering. I've seen some massive changes in several drainages over the years. It's part of what makes the sport so exciting. Others might disagree....

Pine Creek, Buckskin Gulch and The Black Hole are just a couple slots off the top of my head that look nothing like when I first visited them.

Blog Entries

Subway - Zion NP

Ah yeah, that's gonna take a all spring from the snow melt to get a good portion of it out. That's if we receive a lot of snow this year......
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I didn't think it was better or worse....
    Bah! This is the feature under the sand for those that haven't been there:

Name:  IMG_4133.JPG
Views: 6661
Size:  316.6 KB

The walls under the water are vertical. They are so straight they look fake. The water here is normally crystal clear, that is, if you don't muck up the water as you approach from upstream. I think this little underwater alleyway is amazing. YMMV.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

That's kind of depressing. I went through on Saturday the 8 and I missed that alleyway....sad! guess i get to go again!
    You can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamn
    contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees, over the sandstone
    and through the thornbrush and cactus. When traces of blood begin to mark your
    trail, you'll see something, maybe. ~Edward Abbey

Re: Subway - Zion NP

Quote Originally Posted by mtn_dude View Post
    I went through on Saturday the 8
    Didn't see my truck keys by any chance did ya?

LOL

Saturday is when we did Das Boot and Subway. The story of my keys is in the Das Boot TR.

Sent using Tapatalk

I was waiting for the guy at 4:06 to go for a swim

Excellent video and TR, Thanks Shane.

Re: Subway - Zion NP

He was one of two Japanese tourists we meet at the Subway. Which kinda surprised me.... you meet European tourists in the back country all the time but seldom Asian tourists.

Sent using Tapatalk