Thread: Rope Length

Rope Length

I am tired of being limited by my 200ft rope. I want to be able to do Heaps, Water Holes, Insomnia, etc without finding a partner with the correct gear. So my question is - what length of rope should I get? Is 300ft enough? It would be frustrating to purchase a 300ft rope and find out I need 320ft to complete one of the classics. Opinions? Read Go!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by mzamp View Post
    I am tired of being limited by my 200ft rope. I want to be able to do Heaps, Water Holes, Insomnia, etc without finding a partner with the correct gear. So my question is - what length of rope should I get? Is 300ft enough? It would be frustrating to purchase a 300ft rope and find out I need 320ft to complete one of the classics. Opinions? Read Go!
    It's funny, I was thinking the same thing about 6 months ago. Tom had an Imlay 8mm 320 footer that he was selling for cheap, so I snagged it. It's not quite as good as the Canyon Fire, but it is still very good.

Heaps is 285 ft, I think Water Holes from the new anchor is about 305, Tom installed that anchor, you might want to double check with him. Insomnia is 320 based on the sparce beta available.

Maybe get a 350 footer to allow for shrinkage, or get a 320 footer and use it on Insomnia first...
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Maybe get a 350 footer to allow for shrinkage
    But only if you're rappelling into cold water

5. Likes DiscGo liked this post

Rope Length

The cheapest way is to buy a 660' spool, cut it in half and split it with a friend. I have a 330' sterling C-IV that I got that way and ended up paying only $250 for. In certain canyons, if I have a a group with more than 3 or 4 people, you can double on raps up to 165 very quickly, it can be a real time saver. If I had to do it again though, I'd get something skinnier in that length. If you can get a 660' spool of 8mm or 8.3mm from Tom, that'd be the way to go. Not sure how long his spools are though.

Mountain Man

Re: Rope Length

Skinnier why? The C-IV is quite light.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    The cheapest way is to buy a 660' spool, cut it in half and split it with a friend. I have a 330' sterling C-IV that I got that way and ended up paying only $250 for. In certain canyons, if I have a a group with more than 3 or 4 people, you can double on raps up to 165 very quickly, it can be a real time saver. If I had to do it again though, I'd get something skinnier in that length. If you can get a 660' spool of 8mm or 8.3mm from Tom, that'd be the way to go. Not sure how long his spools are though.
    My spools are about 610 feet.

http://www.store.canyoneeringusa.com...oduct=10914142

You could also order a 360' (3x120') = $ 288.00 in the Canyon Fire.

The C-IV is a fine rope. Light. Fast (rappels like an 8mm). But Bulky.

Tom

Rope Length

Quote Originally Posted by dsr70 View Post
    Skinnier why? The C-IV is quite light.
    Yeah, but a tad bulky and also heavier when wet. I think it holds a little more water than an ICG rope, not only because of size, but also materials.
    That said, I have 2 C-IV ropes and they are my favorites overall. Fine ropes indeed. Very tough.

Good input everyone. I think what brand, size, etc. could make for an endless discussion. weight versus durability versus safety versus experience level etc etc etc.

Sounds like 300' could leave me a tad short in some cases. 320 to 330 is about right, but 360' is a precut length that would not add too much weight.

Rope Length

It's nice to have the extra, just in case.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mzamp View Post
    Good input everyone. I think what brand, size, etc. could make for an endless discussion. weight versus durability versus safety versus experience level etc etc etc.

Sounds like 300' could leave me a tad short in some cases. 320 to 330 is about right, but 360' is a precut length that would not add too much weight.
    And ropes shrink in an unpredictable manner, but after much use, expect about 10% shrinkage.

Tom