Thread: Beginners to caving - any good routes?

Beginners to caving - any good routes?

Hey all - I'll be driving through SE And Southern Utah with a friend the next week and would love to experience caving first hand. Problem is we've never done it before. Is this a problem? I'd say we're pretty experienced in backcountry travel
    (backpacking, canyoneering) but have never explored a cave before on our own.

We do have gear (harness, rope, multiple headlamps and flashlights) - would there be a cave route that is good for entry level folks like us?

Thanks!
    Kevin
    Last edited by kevinballa; 09-09-2012 at 08:58 AM. Reason: New title :)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I would suggest you don't go in alone your first time. there are lots of people who just need yet another reason to go caving and would be willing to take you as a good "excuse".

That said Bloomington would be a good one to check out http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/st__g...on/caving.html
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

I'd go with someone, or do some easy caves. There are more up North that I know of, than down South though.

My advice would be to just go canyoneering while you're in Southern Utah. There aren't any caves even worth the trouble down there besides maybe Bloomington. If you and your friend are really interested in going caving I would plan another trip to Northern Utah and make another post in this forum. Honestly, you won't be given any kind of beta information on a cave here anyway. Cave locations aren't shared publicly. It will save you a whole lot of trouble if you find someone to take you. Bot trying to be a debbie downer, but welcome to the world of cave politics.
    "Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible" --Reinhold Messner