Thread: Subway, from Wildcat, Sept 20? Or maybe sharing a shuttle 21st if I get a permit.

Subway, from Wildcat, Sept 20? Or maybe sharing a shuttle 21st if I get a permit.

Hi,
    I've got three permits (2 spare for anyone else now) for the Subway top down for Sept 20. I wondered if anyone experienced wanted to come along. If your group is bigger there may be permits still available.
    Now the bit that might put you off. I have only ever rappelled a few times years ago and didn't rig up any of the gear for myself - HOWEVER, tomorrow I'm going for 3 hours private rapelling tuition, and on Sept 19 a group of experienced canyoneers have offered to take me down Pine Creek which is supposed to be harder than the Subway. So I should be able to rapell fine by the 20th although you may still have to fix up and check ropes and harnesses for me and help me along, and rental firms don't rent out rapell devices so I'd need to borrow one please. I do have lots of hiking and backpacking experience and I'm fit enough. I'd also have a car for the shuttle on the 20th
    The flash floods apparently have made swimming holes full of sand and dry, but there's a few tricky bits of route-finding through debris, so if anyone has been before all the better, or we could be first at the trail to meet others.

If not, on the 21st, does anyone want to share our cars for the shuttle - and you wouldn't have to do the canyoneering with me if you didn't want to - I do have an experienced person willing to go with me. But I have no permit yet, so I and maybe you would need to strike lucky in the lottery 2 days before.

Thanks, please if replying, also private message so I get it asap.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

FYI- we just did the subway and it is NOT dry.... the floods have rearranged the canyon a lot but there is still lots of swimming and wading.

The subway is much different right now than in the past.... not better or worse.... just a lot different.

Sent using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. With all the rearranging, do you reckon it's best to go with people who have done it before as less experienced people who are not familiar with it could now get lost or have real route-finding problems. I've not got a satnav and although I've printed out all the website descriptions they might not be much use if it's been rearranged.
    PS I wasn't going to take it for granted it was dry though, and obviously would have had a wetsuit. I think it's on candition I read someone say the swimming holes were filled with sand, but either it's changed or they were talking about one or two.

If you are using my beta the route description at climb-utah.com is still good. I can't speak for others. A GPS is not required but is helpful.

Sent using Tapatalk