Thread: Any fun slots in SE Utah for our skill level?

Any fun slots in SE Utah for our skill level?

Hi all, new member here! Didn't know this place existed until a handy google search brought me here :)

I'm in Moab right now road tripping with a friend and am looking to do a fun, full-day slot canyoneering route in the Southeast (Moab, Escalante, Glen Canyon, etc). The rub is we only have a 60m rope with us which unfortunately is too short for most routes we've considered doing (example: Morning Glory Arch near Moab)

We're not the most experienced canyoneers but we've done almost all that Zion has to offer (bolts aren't a problem for us) and we've done a few routes that require webbing on natural anchors which we're comfortable with

Does anyone have suggestions for a great slot we can do as a dayhike or better yet, is anyone planning on doing a route that wants some company where we could potentially combine ropes to do a better route?

Thanks all! -Kevin
    Last edited by kevinballa; 09-08-2012 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Changed prefix :)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kevin, welcome to Bogley!

Little Wild Horse is a nice canyon, you don't need any rope. Just hike to the top and back down. I don't recommend the Bell/LWH loop, Bell is kind of a dud.

For *real* canyoneering, what days are you thinking of going?

Done almost all Zion has to offer? That is a whole lot of stuff. What have you done in Zion? I ask so people can get a feel for how experienced you are...

Bob
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Little Wild Horse
    X2

Go check out Larry Canyon in the Roost.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Most of the stuff in the Roost has but short rappels. Not-Mindbender is a personal favorite. Larry is mighty good. BlueJohn East/Main Loop works good. It's been raining a lot, so any canyon could have a swim or two in it.

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/utah/roost/

Tom

Hey all - thanks for the quick responses! To answer your question, have done Mystery, Spry, Keyhole, Pine Creek, Subway, and Behunin in Zion - one of the benefits of living closely I guess :)

We're definitely looking to do a route that requires some rappelling, hopefully 60-90 ft as that is what our 200ft rope will allow. I think our best bet would be to do it in Escalante as that is right on our route an I heard had some epic slots.

Has anyone done Neon Canyon recently in Escalante? Sounds like a great route for us. We don't have wetsuits with us - can you do it without a wetsuit this time of year (if not can we rent)? Especially considering the thunderstorms escalante is expecting Monday and Tuesday (we'd do Neon shortly after the storm passes)

- Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by kevinballa View Post
    Has anyone done Neon Canyon recently in Escalante? Sounds like a great route for us. We don't have wetsuits with us - can you do it without a wetsuit this time of year (if not can we rent)? Especially considering the thunderstorms escalante is expecting Monday and Tuesday (we'd do Neon shortly after the storm passes)

- Kevin
    For Neon conditions, keep an eye on www.candition.com. Also, I'd suggest wearing a wetsuit since there are a couple of potential keepers in there.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

We're not the most experienced canyoneers but we've done almost all that Zion has to offer

-----

To answer your question, have done Mystery, Spry, Keyhole, Pine Creek, Subway, and Behunin in Zion - one of the benefits of living closely I guess
    I'm not trying to be rude here at all, but if the later really is your list for "we've done almost all that Zion has to offer" (which is a very strange statement given your list stated later), then your choices are going to be a bit different as to which canyons to choose given the later statement.

Below are some of the canyons I'd recommend that are fairly beginner friendly:

Chamber of the Basilisk/Goblins Lair
    Egypt 3
    Buck (maybe East Fork Pasture if you find the other Roost stuff listed to be fairly easy for you).
    North Fork Robbers Roost
    Bluejohn-West, Main or East; I woudn't recommend the loop unless you have some climbing skills
    Music
    Cheesebox
    Fry
    Short
    Gravel (several sections would be suitable)

Neon might be OK if the potholes are not in keeper condition. If they are, it's a probably good idea to go with someone more experienced.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.