Thread: Family backpacking/camping destinations near SLC, UT

Family backpacking/camping destinations near SLC, UT

I would like to do some family backpacking and would like it to be less than a 2 mile hike if possible. Preferably where there is water (streams/lakes) and lots of pine trees. Does anyone have any good ideas they could suggest? I am also not a fan of the high traffic of the wasatch, so maybe something in the uintas?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by doob View Post
    I would like to do some family backpacking and would like it to be less than a 2 mile hike if possible. Preferably where there is water (streams/lakes) and lots of pine trees. Does anyone have any good ideas they could suggest? I am also not a fan of the high traffic of the wasatch, so maybe something in the uintas?
    Uintas and less than 4 hours of hiking basically puts your in the middle of high traffic.. then again you can sometimes get into places like Lake Desolation just up big cottonwood canyon and only see a few people.. it all depends on the weekend.. but for close you might give a shot at Lake Desolation..
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

I would start along the Mirror Lake Highway. The first place that comes to mind is Ruth Lake (its a mile or 2 at best, off of the road). I only considered this a backpack trip when my niece had a backpack on.... we carried a cooler, its that easy.

Past two miles - Naturalist Basin is 6-8miles (depending on route)

I have no idea just how things are now but when I was kid some of the close stuff was way cool in the 70's.
    Now I have not lived in the area for a long time and I'm sure these areas may just suck now but here it goes.

I always loved upper red pine up little cottonwood canyon and lake blanche up big cottonwood.
    The viforhorn off from the tram was another favorite. White pine, Bells canyon upper res. and maybird gulch where among my favorites at the time.
    Now most of these are around 3-4 miles but cardiff and some upper lakes above Brighton Ski resort are about the 2-3 mile range.
    But it has been over 40 years since I have done any of these and they may very well be a no go now.

But if your willing to go 20 miles then I highly suggest four lake basin north of grandaddy basin High Uintahs.
    I can not attest for the fishing, but 40 or so years ago it could not be beat. 3.5 to 5.5 brookies were commin. Some artic graylings and always the cuthroats.
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.
    Life is good and life is fare.

I've taken my younger kids backpacking on the Kamas Lake/Lofty Lake Loop in the Uintas. I think total distance is around 5.5 miles, perfect 2 day loop for younger kids. Start at the Pass Lake trailhead on the Mirror Lake highway. We did the loop in a clockwise direction and camped at Kamas Lake about 2.5 miles from the trailhead. Then we finished the loop going past Lofty Lake on the second day.