Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bogley Canyoneering Fest October 19-21

Hello i have been trying to get into this sport all summer with no success. i am looking for someone that could introduce me to this sport. i have rapelled before several times but always with someone who rigged me up. i live in the utah county area and any help i can get would be great. i would love to have someone who could take me through a canyon, teach me the basics, and get me permanantely into the sport. can anyone help?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I see no reason why I wouldn't be there. Count on 1 more!

Quote Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
    I see no reason why I wouldn't be there. Count on 1 more!

"Free Cat" LOL

I'm currently at about 39.5% sure for this trip. Wanna check out Larry and something else gnarly. Haven't done Not Mindbender for awhile - would be a great revisit.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

It would be great to meet some of you. I've been following this site for a little over a year now. I'm going to do my best to make it down for the weekend. I have a few ropes Ill toss in as well.

Ill be driving from Glenwood Springs, CO basically, so if anyone wants to carpool between here and the Roost, drop me a line!

Got the time off. I will be joining the group.

We'll be in the area next weekend, it would be fun to meet everyone. I'd agree that Motel 6 is one of the bigger and more comfy spots in the Roost..had a run-in there with a cowboy that I SWEAR was a ghost...but anyway generally the camping is not exactly the draw...Hope to crack a beer with some of you fellow ....

I added a bunch of new information to the original post.

i am looking for someone that could introduce me to this sport. i have rapelled before several times but always with someone who rigged me up.
    With caution, maybe. Sent a PM.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Currently at 39.5%....JSYK.

If anyone of you Colorado folks bring along some pot brownies I'd be at 100% sure for this trip....just sayin'

Looks like a little more than 1/10th of an inch of rain fell this morning in the Roost Area and North Wash, but it could have been much worse. I drive myself crazy trying to guess how much rain does what and why...any guesses on how this light rain will effect the canyons?

Planning on heading down Thursday late afternoon/evening and home Sunday sometime. Hoping to carpool with someone and split gas. I live in SLC near Liberty Park. Anyone interested? Doesn't really matter to me who drives. I have a Jeep that is certainly capable. PM me.

Ryan

I'm planning on wearing a full 4/3 through all canyons. Go ahead and laugh. I hate the cold. Currently at 47.2%....jsyk.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Advanced:

Alcatraz Canyon
    Mind Bender
    A new canyon (un-named so far)

Intermediate:

High Spur
    Larry Canyon
    No Mans Canyon
    Not Mindbender
    Red Spur
    Water Canyon
    White Roost

Beginner:

Bluejohn Canyon
    Robbers Roost - North Fork
    Buck
    So I have been pondering this list and am trying to decide what is within my ability. I have not been to the roost yet and had my first canyoneering trip to the North Wash 2 weekends ago.

My canyon resume (quickly jotted down, so I may have missed a couple)

Zion area:
    Subway
    Orderville
    Birch Hollow
    Spry
    Mystery
    Behunin
    Keyhole
    Pine Creek
    Echo

Moab Area:
    U-Turn
    Winter Camp

North Wash:
    Monkey Business
    West Leprechaun

Secret Areas:
    ?????

j/k

I have been the lead on pretty much all of these trips, so I have always stayed well within my perceived ability. I have also taken a two day course from Rich. I have been fairly comfortable with stemming and down climbing, although I haven't had the experience of stemming 50 feet off the ground yet. Silos definitely frighten me.

Thoughts on what I should avoid from the list. Alcatraz has been on my hit list for awhile...reasonable for me to do?

On a side note, I will be bringing a 230' rope and a 210' rope. Unfortunately my 60' has a core shot at 40'. I will also have a bunch of firewood.

Thanks for any opinions! See you all in a couple of days
    Ryan

Any news on the conditions in there? Praying some of the water drains out in the next couple days...Otherwise planning for some watery mud to add to the fun...

Me and 2 of my buddies are coming down from SLC Thursday night. We're intermediate canyoneers with a fair amount of canyons under our belt (Squeeze, Constrychnine, Larry, Pine Creek, Birch Hollow, and a bunch of others.)

Looking to do Alcatraz for sure, the rest tbd. We can lead but have only done Larry in the Roost. Hoping to tag along with some others on the harder canyons.

Quote Originally Posted by skiclimb3287 View Post
    So I have been pondering this list and am trying to decide what is within my ability. I have not been to the roost yet and had my first canyoneering trip to the North Wash 2 weekends ago.

My canyon resume (quickly jotted down, so I may have missed a couple)

Zion area:
    Subway
    Orderville
    Birch Hollow
    Spry
    Mystery
    Behunin
    Keyhole
    Pine Creek
    Echo

Moab Area:
    U-Turn
    Winter Camp

North Wash:
    Monkey Business
    West Leprechaun

Secret Areas:
    ?????

j/k

I have been the lead on pretty much all of these trips, so I have always stayed well within my perceived ability. I have also taken a two day course from Rich. I have been fairly comfortable with stemming and down climbing, although I haven't had the experience of stemming 50 feet off the ground yet. Silos definitely frighten me.

Thoughts on what I should avoid from the list. Alcatraz has been on my hit list for awhile...reasonable for me to do?

On a side note, I will be bringing a 230' rope and a 210' rope. Unfortunately my 60' has a core shot at 40'. I will also have a bunch of firewood.

Thanks for any opinions! See you all in a couple of days
    Ryan

Ryan,

Alcatraz should be a NO PROBLEMO canyon for you considering your resume. I did it last year, it was a blast...one of my top 5 favorite canyons fo' sho'!

Quote Originally Posted by Reverso View Post
    Any news on the conditions in there? Praying some of the water drains out in the next couple days...Otherwise planning for some watery mud to add to the fun...

Weather looks to be 65 - 70 degrees during the day, 40's at night. No precip. SWEET!!

Quote Originally Posted by optikal View Post
    Me and 2 of my buddies are coming down from SLC Thursday night. We're intermediate canyoneers with a fair amount of canyons under our belt (Squeeze, Constrychnine, Larry, Pine Creek, Birch Hollow, and a bunch of others.)

Looking to do Alcatraz for sure, the rest tbd. We can lead but have only done Larry in the Roost. Hoping to tag along with some others on the harder canyons.
    I'm looking to do Alcatraz on Saturday and Larry on Sunday (not done it before)

The weather looks great:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...84734%2C%20USA

Conditions reports say that some of the North Wash stuff is wet and that it rained hard there last Friday, so I'd expect to get wet in many of the canyons. Usually canyons such as the Main Fork Bluejohn stay dry, but canyons such as Larry may have a fair amount of water.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Just out of curiosity, why is Mindbender regarded as "advanced" and Not Mindbender as "intermediate?" Is it just cuz of the long exit rappel? Cuz the last rap out of Not Mindbender is a pretty decent drop, and the last time I was there someone had rigged the last rap to anchor off of a pathetic stack of medium sized rocks. The entrance and exit out of Not Mindbender are longer, and there are more rappels in Not Mindbender than Mindbender, not to mention some pretty healthy skinnies in NM that are absent in M.

Someone....anyone....Buhler?

I moved it to that catagory since you will have to dig up the anchor, reset it and there is a good possibility that the anchor is currently underwater.