Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bogley Canyoneering Fest October 19-21

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Camping in the Roost sucks.... about the only place I know of for a large group and 2WD is the Motel 6 (Granary Spring)
    Hmm, good to know. Thanks. I've never been.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I would be in for a couple canyons in the roost. Not Mindbender and southfork of Bull canyon look good. There are tons of good big campsites out in the roost, we just gotta bring lots of firewood.

I'm planning on a canyoneering weekend in October, but unfortunately this one is booked up already. Would have liked to meet up.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

FWIW, that weekend is "fall recess" for Utah schools. That means my school teacher wife and I are free to join...

YO!! I'm desperate to get some canyons in now that I'm up to full health. I'm sick and tired of Moab stuff, so my vote is the Roost. I've only done a handfull of canyons there, and would like to do more.

That date works for me (Oct 19-22). I'm out of town on business before that.

If the Roost doesn't work out for that date I might look to piggyback onto someone else's group...maybe Disco's, or possibly hook up with Deathcricket and troll each other silly. Pretty much just whoring myself out to whomever is willing to put up with me. I'm a good rope humper, and I bring lots of caffeine free diet Vodka.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

May I suggest that interested parties post canyon options (in the roost or otherwise) they would be like to see as possiblities so that they can be discussed. Also post the number of people in your party so a head count can be established.

Who officially organizes Bogley Fest? Is itthe original poster of this thread?, the gurus on Bogley? who?

I want to meet the gurus at the fest so I can kneel and kiss the toe of their 5.10 Canyoneer for good luck.

Historically how many poeple attend? group drinking and group meals/camping? What is it like?

May I suggest that interested parties post canyon options (in the roost or otherwise) they would be like to see as possiblities so that they can be discussed. Also post the number of people in your party so a head count can be established.
    People can post what canyons they are interested in, but as far as headcounts and set plans on who exactly is doing which canyons on which day and a head count, we've found that that usually doesn't work too well. Some people no show, some people bring exta friends, some decide to leave early, and some people show last minute. It's easier to have a designated place where everyone meets to camp and sort it all out from there.

Who officially organizes Bogley Fest?
    Anyone who wants to.

Historically how many poeple attend?
    Historically the number of people who attend it based on the number of people whom show up.

It varies greatly and is dependent on things like weather, if there are any other events going on during that time period, etc. Some tend to be pretty small gatherings and sometimes a mob shows up.

================================================== ================================================== ==

Anyway, it's time to decided on either Lost Springs or the Roost. Please cast your vote now. I'll just go with the majority.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

one vote for the Roost

I originally had 4 ppl. Nevermind. We are unable to make it work. Have fun guys.

I have heard good things about "Not mindbender" & "White Roost" FWIW. Have no personal experience with them, though

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...ite-Roost-Area
    apparently good camping here.

Re: Bogley Canyoneering Fest October 19-21

Quote Originally Posted by deagol View Post
    If you consider a wide spot in the road on top of a wind blown mesa with the nearest tree 5 miles away a camp spot.... then YES.... it is good camping.

If doing the roost its probably best to camp at granary springs aka motel 6 at least with a larger group.

Sent using Tapatalk

Robbers Roost it is. Shane is right about campsites. Plenty exist, but most aren't conductive to big groups, plus Motel 6 is easy to find. There are better campsites, but those places aren't as easy to find for those not familiar with the area.

We'll probably all camp at Granary Spring/"Motel 6" (which isn't a hotel) since it's easy to find. I'll post directions later.

I wouldn't mind trying a new (beta-less) canyon on Saturday and something else the next day. Maybe East Fork Bluejohn, High Spur, White Roost, or any not too long canyon. Lots of possibilities.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Driving Directions to Granary Springs (Motel 6)

From Green River, Utah take I-70 westbound for 11 miles to Exit #149 and Highway 24. Follow Highway 24 south from I-70 for 25 miles to mile maker 135.5 (1/2 mile beyond the turn-off to Goblin Valley State Park). The well-maintained dirt road on the east side of highway 24 is signed Rooster Flats and Hans Flat Ranger Station, turn east onto this dirt road.

This area is criss-crossed with roads. Stay on the road described until told to turn off of it. Follow the well-maintained dirt road for 24.3 miles until you come to a signed fork in the road with an information kiosk. The Left Fork leads to Horseshoe Canyon, the Right Fork leads to the Hans Flat Ranger Station. Take the Right Fork south for 7.1 miles to a signed fork in the road. Take the Left Fork toward the Hans Flat Ranger Station. Follow the road for 2.6 miles to a minor dirt road on the left. Follow the minor dirt road for 0.2 miles to several old line camp buildings. This is the Granary Spring Trailhead (N38

OK, I moved all the important information in this thread to the first post.

Scott, you should be able to edit the first post and keep it up to date so everyone doesn't have to scroll through 20 pages to get the important information.

I also stickied the thread so it will stay at the top of the forum until after the event.

The following are a couple canyon suggestions I think would be good for a fest....

Alcatraz Canyon
    Bluejohn Canyon
    High Spur
    Larry Canyon
    Mind Bender
    No Mans Canyon
    Not Mindbender
    Red Spur
    Robbers Roost - North Fork
    Water Canyon
    White Roost

More info here: http://climb-utah.com/Roost/index.htm

I also consider fests a good time to do slots that require a car shuttle, it's never easier to setup a shuttle then at a fest.

thanks !!!!

I'm free those days but will have to see if any other plans come up. Still have several canyons in the area that I want to hit: high on my list are Not Mindbender and Larry, as well as other options like Blue John forks and Water.

Scott, how about a list of people on the first post that are "yes" and "maybe" ?? I recognize several of the posters, but not all.

I think the only canyon I've done in that area is Larry, so, yeah, I'd be interested. Definately on my radar!

Haven't ever made it to the Roost...as a matter of fact, I have done very little outside of Zion, save a bit in Arches and Lost Springs. Next weekend will be my first trip to the North Wash. This fest is on the calender. Will be there for sure!

PSA: large group will be in North Wash this coming weekend (Sept 29-30), private party