Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bogley Canyoneering Fest October 19-21

Bogley Canyoneering Fest October 19-21

Where: Robbers Roost (Granary Springs)
    When: October 19-21
    Who's invited? anyone that wants to come.

Driving Directions to Granary Springs (Motel 6)

From Green River, Utah take I-70 westbound for 11 miles to Exit #149 and Highway 24. Follow Highway 24 south from I-70 for 25 miles to mile maker 135.5 (1/2 mile beyond the turn-off to Goblin Valley State Park). The well-maintained dirt road on the east side of highway 24 is signed Rooster Flats and Hans Flat Ranger Station, turn east onto this dirt road.

This area is criss-crossed with roads. Stay on the road described until told to turn off of it. Follow the well-maintained dirt road for 24.3 miles until you come to a signed fork in the road with an information kiosk. The Left Fork leads to Horseshoe Canyon, the Right Fork leads to the Hans Flat Ranger Station. Take the Right Fork south for 7.1 miles to a signed fork in the road. Take the Left Fork toward the Hans Flat Ranger Station. Follow the road for 2.6 miles to a minor dirt road on the left. Follow the minor dirt road for 0.2 miles to several old line camp buildings. This is the Granary Spring Trailhead (N38
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Not sure if I can make that weekend, but hey any reason to get together and go canyoneering sounds good to me.

Blog Entries

Bogley Canyoneering Fest October 19-21

I would go, but my group has a permit for the subway of 12 on the 20th.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

awwweeee... how about before october 8th.. I'll have to be back at work way up north and so would love to meet all of you ....

Hmmm.... That weekend looks pretty good for me. Count me in!

I'd love to partake of another Bogleyfest, but those dates don't suit (I'll be in India). Late October/early November would be bettter for me.

Have a good fest!

Rob

Sounds like fun. That weekend could work for me.

Perfect timing. Our youngest, a senior in high school has the 19th off so we are planning a father/son weekend then (traveling from Colorado Springs). I haven't done any canyons in the Lost Springs area so that is appealing.

awwweeee... how about before october 8th..
    Only 19-21st would work for me for this one, but I'm sure many people would like to go on canyoneering trips before Oct 8.

Anyway, any preferences on the Roost vs Lost Springs? Either would be fine with me.

The Roost has many excellent canyons, but many of us (myself included) already have done many, many canyons there. I assume not as many have done the Lost Springs area canyons. I've only poked around there (hiked to Delicate Arch from that direction and just a little exploring), but not for many years.

Are there any good places to meet in the Lost Springs area that are easy to find and suitable for a group?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Re: Bogley Canyoneering Fest October 19-21

Scott, there is a good place for a group camp in lost springs. Its s big flat sandstone area. I'll give you the info when I'm back in town.

Sent using Tapatalk

Though I'm no canyoneer, this is close enough to my house that I might swing by for an evening or something...
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

I would be very interested in some canyons that weekend. I had a really good time at last year's Robber's Roost fest.
    Deb

Arn't the canyons in the Lost Springs pretty much nothing in comparrison to the one's in the Roost? I suspect this only from the beta I have seen, as I've not been to either area...

Quote Originally Posted by deagol View Post
    Arn't the canyons in the Lost Springs pretty much nothing in comparrison to the one's in the Roost? I suspect this only from the beta I have seen, as I've not been to either area...
    We agree - the Lost Spring canyons are all rather short & sweet with a maximum of 3 raps in each. You can easily do 2 - 3 canyons in a day. Not sure the Park Service would appreciate a large group coming in there and camping "at-large" either, but there are places outside of the park boundary that could be used. Not many trees for shelter in most spots. Not sure at this point if we could attend but would vote for the Roost ourselves.

Scott, If doing Lost Springs I'd suggest camping here:

N38 47' 39", W109 25' 22"

It is outside the park boundary and will accommodate a large group. The spot is a large flat section of slick rock that will accommodate a large group and it will have almost zero impact on the area. It is also within a couple miles of Wintercamp, Repeat JR., MMI and Undercover. The spot is accessible to 2wd vehicles. The spot is also picturesque with some cool sandstone formation next door that are fun to hike and scramble through. A couple nice arches are hidden in the sandstone formations.

If you use this spot I'll write up driving directions.

i'll second the premier camping spot recommended by Iceaxe. great position and stunning views.

However, as of our last trip out in that area two autumns ago, the BLM had posted a "no motor vehicles" fiberglass lath in front of the access road. we ended up parking at the access road turnoff (cramped for two vehicles) and humped all our car camping gear 100 yards out onto the slickrock. might want to verify vehicular access prior to group swarming.

I will hopefully be in for the next get together, but I just made plans for that weekend in Zion.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Droppings View Post
    i'll second the premier camping spot recommended by Iceaxe. great position and stunning views.

However, as of our last trip out in that area two autumns ago, the BLM had posted a "no motor vehicles" fiberglass lath in front of the access road. we ended up parking at the access road turnoff (cramped for two vehicles) and humped all our car camping gear 100 yards out onto the slickrock. might want to verify vehicular access prior to group swarming.

This could be a huge problem for camping there. Is camping easier in the Roost ?

Quote Originally Posted by deagol View Post
    This could be a huge problem for camping there. Is camping easier in the Roost ?
    Camping in the Roost sucks.... about the only place I know of for a large group and 2WD is the Motel 6 (Granary Spring)