Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Bogley Canyoneering Fest October 19-21

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    I moved it to that catagory since you will have to dig up the anchor, reset it and there is a good possibility that the anchor is currently underwater.

Brrr

When you goin' down Scott?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Friday night.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I've never been in the Roost this time of the year, especially a week after a big rain storm... are the conditions wet enough to justify a wetsuit? I'm not planning to as I have a 1mm surfing shirt I was planning on bringing but the rest of my buddies coming down don't have one... they don't mind a little shivering and don't "get cold easily", for what that's worth.

FYI between my buddies and I we have 3x200' Sterling C-IV's (probably overkill, likely just bringing 2), a 150', 100', and 40'

Why is that, do you know? Do you mean the general area of bluejohn vs that of Larry stays drier? Already have some serious pucker factor thinking about the cold rain down in some of those holes.....I admit that I am kind of a baby on the freezing cold swimming thing...

OK, so the night-time temps get down to 40 degrees. The sunlight doesn't reach most pools that collect in slots, so you can go ahead and assume the water in the slots is somewhere between 40 - 55 degrees. That water aint gonna be warm! Add to that you may be in and out of patches of sunlight where you can warm up, but I'd play it safe and assume you're gonna be in the shade for much of the hike.

You may roll the dice and hope for little to no water and go with no protection, but do you really want to spend the bulk of the hike shivering? I prefer to enjoy it. You can always shed the wetsuit later on and pack it if there's suddenly a heat wave. I used to tolerate cold well, but come to think of it, I never used to go canyoneering beyond August either.

We're all wetsuited up, so I can stop crying now...It's ON!! See ya'll down there! We'll be camped in Goblin by tomorrow morning and running canyons in both North Wash and Robbers Roost...Stoked...Now to suffer through the rest of the work day!

'Gidday' guys,

I was absolutely thrilled to find this thread.

I arrived in Moab today, disappointed after travelling through Hankesville unable to find anyone who could partner me on some Canyoneering in the Robbers Roost area. I'm an Aussie climber that's been travelling the southwest for the last 7 weeks and am keen to try out some slot canyons in this area. So it looks like we will backtrack a couple of hours to meet up with you guys at Granary Springs.

Appologies in advance - We'll be the ones in the hire RV driving slowly along those dirt roads. We'll get to Granary Springs Friday afternoon, so please come and say hello. We promise not to turn on the Generator If anyone needs some beer chilled quickly, we can offer to put it in the freezer.

Looking forward to it.
    Cheers,
    Cam.

Re: Bogley Canyoneering Fest October 19-21

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Ryan,

Alcatraz should be a NO PROBLEMO canyon for you considering your resume. I did it last year, it was a blast...one of my top 5 favorite canyons fo' sho'!
    Thanks for the reply rockgremlin! Can't wait to get down there and get into some new stuff! Car is all packed...now to manage being productive at work tommorow :screwy: Planning to hit the road by 3

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

If you're heading out today/tonight and will be ready for a canyon tomorrow morning, please post up and say so.

One of my buddies injured his ankle paragliding, so he's out; that leaves me and 1 other. We'll be heading out of SLC around 5-6pm. We were planning to head down to North Wash tonight as it seemed most were heading down on Friday, but if there's a handful of people heading to Granary Springs tonight, we'll head there too.

Definitely planning on a canyon tomorrow. Would be interesting in joining up with you. Should arrive by 10 tonight, hopefully much earlier...depending on how work goes.

Just getting an approximate headcount.

I have the following count from Bogley:

Skiclimb3287
    Optikal
    Camalittle
    Reverso
    Homeslice
    Bosco
    Hikester11
    Deagol

Did I miss anyone. Along with the 14ers group, I count 19-22 people. Is this too many to camp at Granary Springs? There are some (smaller) campsites to the north, so maybe we will have to be split up.

Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I think rockgremlin was getting close to 50% so he may be coming :confused:

If we are going to be at multiple campsites, how should we plan canyons? Since I haven't been there, I can't speak to size. I will, however, keep the size of group in mind and scale back on my taj mahal of camps...oh wait, I only item a backpacking tent :D

If we are going to be at multiple campsites, how should we plan canyons?
    Some people have dropped out, so maybe the big group won't be as big now. We'll just meet at Granary Springs Saturday morning and if some of us need to camp somewhere else, it's no problem.

Anyway, my own plan is to do the new canyon tomorrow (we'll figure out a good name after we do it) and either Buck (I still haven't done that one), one of the forks of Bluejohn or Bull Pasture the next day.

Anyone who wants to try the new canyon should be prepared to leave somewhat early on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo View Post
    I will hopefully be in for the next get together, but I just made plans for that weekend in Zion.
    Everyone in my Zion trip appears to have backed out. Is there still space for me and my wife?
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Hullo folks/folkettes

I was just across the street from you guys in The Swell. My bro-in-law wanted to get his 11 yr-old boy into canyoneering so he asked me come come along and assist. This is my "almost died twice with" bro-in-law. I didn't wanna miss out on a possible third so I tagged along. We chose an easy one - Crack Canyon, and then a few trick rappels on various ledges. Rounded it up with the obligatory LWH up and back. Regrets I didn't get to meet ya'll. You post your pix, and I'll get some of mine up 2.

Just a quick post before crashing for the night to recover from a great weekend. My first trip to the roost was fantastic. Didn't end up hitting Alcatraz since it was planned for today and I was feeling a bit worn out. Did Red Spur on Friday in a group of 5, both the main fork and the west fork of White Roost on Saturday in a group of 7 and 4 respectively, and Bull Pasture today in a group of 7. The only other canyon in the roost that went down was Alcatraz, although 5 went and did Zero Gravity on their way out today, and 2 went to do Chamber of the Basilisk/Goblin's Lair after Bull Pasture today. Will try and post photos tomorrow evening.

Yes, it was a great time. Kessler and I did Alcatraz and Bull Pasture.

It sure was handy to have a kid along in Acatraz to help drag the packs through for the big people.

It was great meeting everyone. It was a great group of people and a lot of fun.

What a great weekend! This was my first Bogley fest, and definitely not the last; I had a blast! Met a lot of great people and did some spectacular canyons (Red Spur, White Roost E, Bull Pasture). Thanks again for organizing this Scott!

Bogley Canyoneering Fest October 19-21

Great to hear! Looking forward to the trip reports.

It was indeed an excellent weekend to be out there. We did N Fork of Robber's Roost (dry), Right Fork of Leprechaun (also dry) and then Chambers. All were mostly dry with avoidable water. We were planning to stop by the festival after the Chambers, but I must admit my ass was totally kicked and so was the rest of my group by the pumpyness of the Chambers. I am a small framed individual and thought the skinny nature of Chambers would be no problem, but I was wrong. I highly advise that you be very careful before entering this canyon. It is very tight and lots of fun BUT...Anyone over about 140 lbs has to work very hard to pass through this canyon. As Circle of Friends has stated clearly "You have been warned!" Sorry to have missed the party, hope to make it next time...