Thread: TR & Beta - Rick's Creek Waterfall (Centerville)

Blog Entries

TR & Beta - Rick's Creek Waterfall (Centerville)

It's interesting that this waterfall isn't more popular in Northern Utah. It has very easy access, and most 2WD vehicles can nearly reach the top of the falls, and a 4WD vehicle will put you literally 15feet away from the top of the falls.

These are hidden, but definitely not secret. We did this last Saturday in the foothills of Centerville (Utah) and didn't see another person while we were there (there for 3hrs).

Our group says this is more fun than Rocky Mouth Canyon, and has more flow, even late in the fall. The return hike takes less than 2minutes and you can leave all your gear at your vehicle which be no more than 100feet away.

I wrote up the beta if you Northern Utah folks like me are interested in doing it. It's a lot of fun and packs a good punch. It's beginner friendly and GREAT location for noobs (or first time waterfall rappellers). It's a 3 tiered rappel with the longest drop not being longer than 50feet. A 150ft rope will suffice here, and no pull-cord is needed.

Name:  IMG_3517.jpg
Views: 3358
Size:  165.2 KB

DIRECTIONS: Take the Centerville Exit (Parrish Lane) and head East. Once you hit Main St. make a left (heading North). Take this a few miles until you hit 1825 N and make a right (head east). Once you hit the BST, hang a right (heading South to the obvious canyon). From there follow the closeup map to the falls.
    Name:  Rick's Falls - zoomed out - map.jpg
Views: 2510
Size:  434.4 KB
    Name:  Rick's Falls - Zoomed out 1.jpg
Views: 2496
Size:  394.3 KB
    Name:  Rick's Falls - zoomed in.jpg
Views: 2366
Size:  470.5 KB

Name:  IMG_3530.jpg
Views: 2510
Size:  172.1 KB

Name:  IMG_3538.jpg
Views: 2439
Size:  226.0 KB

Name:  IMG_3540.jpg
Views: 2304
Size:  119.8 KB

And here is our video from the falls:
    ENJOY!

●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Looks really fun! Thanks!
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

I didn't even know about this....

This looks like one of those cool little neighborhood deals that are known to those that live close by but not to others. That is what Rocky Mouth was when I first posted it and the only way I really knew about it was I lived in the neighborhood.

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys! It's only 10miles from my house and just found out about last weekend when I was off-roading in that area. Go figure.

Sure, it's not Kolob Canyon - but just how easy it is to access, the return hike, and length of the rappel make this is a gem for us Northern folks. And just down the street about a 2miles is the Parrish Creek pictogryphs, with in combo with the rappel could make for a good half-day excursion with the fam.
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Thanks for posting this one! Close, and looks like fun.

Fun stuff. Made the quick 10 minute journey from Farmington today. Thanks for posting this. Much better than Davis Creek and others around here. Water flow was about the same as in your pics. Didn't need any wetsuit in the perfect 65 degree weather- seems like you can keep your upper body as dry or wet as you want. Give it a try if you want a quick wet fun spot to repeat a few times.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Green View Post
    Fun stuff. Made the quick 10 minute journey from Farmington today. Thanks for posting this. Much better than Davis Creek and others around here. Water flow was about the same as in your pics. Didn't need any wetsuit in the perfect 65 degree weather- seems like you can keep your upper body as dry or wet as you want. Give it a try if you want a quick wet fun spot to repeat a few times.
    Cool! Glad someone was able to test it out as well. I agree, it's a little better than other waterfalls up in this area...especially with the easy access to it.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

A couple friends and I tried out the falls today, had a great time. Sadly as we were leaving a kind officer of the law informed us that we were on private property and he had been called by the land owner. The guy with the big house across the creek owns a HUGE chunk of land, including the waterfall. He seems to have little/no problem with people hiking etc, but is more concerned with rappelling due to liability? The officer said they get called up often enough and took down our names--we won't be heading back. Too bad, for how quick and easy the access is we'd have loved to take beginners.

Blog Entries

TR & Beta - Rick's Creek Waterfall (Centerville)

Quote Originally Posted by burley View Post
    A couple friends and I tried out the falls today, had a great time. Sadly as we were leaving a kind officer of the law informed us that we were on private property and he had been called by the land owner. The guy with the big house across the creek owns a HUGE chunk of land, including the waterfall. He seems to have little/no problem with people hiking etc, but is more concerned with rappelling due to liability? The officer said they get called up often enough and took down our names--we won't be heading back. Too bad, for how quick and easy the access is we'd have loved to take beginners.
    Wow, sorry dude that sucks!
    Aren't all streams regardless of going across private property are available to be in? Isn't it similar to fishing in that regard?
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Re: TR & Beta - Rick's Creek Waterfall (Centerville)

Quote Originally Posted by jman
    Aren't all streams regardless of going across private property are available to be in? Isn't it similar to fishing in that regard?
    You might be able to use that argument if you were always in the stream. Also, if canyoneers become a problem the landowner will just close it to everyone. If you want it open to canyoneers someone needs to talk with the land owner. Part of the deal should be canyoneers will help keep the area clean.

Maybe a good job for the American Canyoneers? Instead of tackling the entire NPS straight out of the gate this might be a nice little project that would yield positive results with a little planning and effert.

Sent using Tapatalk

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Wow, sorry dude that sucks!
    not any more. you can blame our no fun republican legislature & governor for changing the law. I will not be voting for them this november, vote Gen. Peter Cooke 2012.

Link explains the new law that you can not walk on "private bed" of public water body
    http://wildlife.utah.gov/dwr/compone...38-hb-141.html

I'm no lawyer, but this may help assure the land owner if liability is his concern.

http://extension.usu.edu/files/publi...t/IORT_029.pdf