Thread: Canyoneering near or around Havasupai?

Canyoneering near or around Havasupai?

I have lived in AZ for almost 40 years and in two weeks I am going to Havasupai for the first time. My question is are there any other good canyons to explore in that area besides where all the crowds go or the basic trip to the river and back?

I was hoping Grand Canyoneering would shed some light, but it only mentions the "basic" routes. Looking at my topo maps it looks as if there are potentially other canyons. My guess is if they exist they are being kept on the secret list.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

My guess is if they exist they are being kept on the secret list.
    I don't know if they are being kept secret; it's just that they currently don't have public access. For example, National and Mohawk Canyons used to be considered classics, but the reservation closed access a few years ago. In addition to the main canyons, likely other side canyons have good slots in them, but I don't think you can access them overland without tresspassing illegally (you can still access the best parts from the river).

If the Hualapais grant access again, there will be many canyons to do down there.

Havasu Creek itself has some interesting short side forks you can hike, but I don't think you are supposed to do any technical canyoneering there. The main canyon is beautiful though.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.