Thread: Sept 17-21st - Zion/SW UT - climbers getting into canyons - join us?

Sept 17-21st - Zion/SW UT - climbers getting into canyons - join us?

My girlfriend and I will be out in St George/Zion/SW Utah area from Sept 17-21st. We're looking at some 3A/3B canyons (day trips, or maybe some backpacking). We're climbers (she is fairly new, me - very experienced and a professional rigger), but both new to technical canyoneering.

We're looking to get into some stuff with fun rappels and that is moderately challenging, but also being mindful to not get in over our heads. We'll have a car and some gear (ropes, harnesses etc), but might end up renting boots depending on where we go.

We're open to another couple joining us - we're 33/34, from San Francisco, progressive, laid-back etc. Other newbies are fine - but please have some experience with rappelling, route-finding, backpacking etc. I'm happy for us to all learn together - but I don't want to be the default leader of a totally fresh group!

-Matt

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The ACA (American Canyoneering Association) is hosting a Rendevous at ZION NP the 20th - 23rd. You might want to consider joining them for some of their activities. Take a look at this link to learn more. Also, are you familiar with the Zion NP permitting system for canyoneering?
    http://www.meetup.com/ACA-Canyoneeri.../forum/3953852

I've got a trip planned through pinecreek on the 19th, my permit is full, but there are only five of us going and you can take up to 12 people through in a group so if you apply for your own permit you could tag along with us. Let me know if you're interested and I'll send you the details on where and when to meet.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyBoy View Post
    I've got a trip planned through pinecreek on the 19th, my permit is full, but there are only five of us going and you can take up to 12 people through in a group so if you apply for your own permit you could tag along with us. Let me know if you're interested and I'll send you the details on where and when to meet.
    Easier and probably more legal to add another to your permit when you pick it up. Harder if you are Expressing it. Even if you are expressing it, it should be fast to go in and add another person.

(Just suggesting ways of dancing with the permit system that might be easier).

Tom

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peakbaggers View Post
    The ACA (American Canyoneering Association) is hosting a Rendevous at ZION NP the 20th - 23rd. You might want to consider joining them for some of their activities. Take a look at this link to learn more. Also, are you familiar with the Zion NP permitting system for canyoneering?
    http://www.meetup.com/ACA-Canyoneeri.../forum/3953852
    you mean, the American Canyoneering ACADEMY, right?

T

Quote Originally Posted by MattLeonard View Post
    My girlfriend and I will be out in St George/Zion/SW Utah area from Sept 17-21st. We're looking at some 3A/3B canyons (day trips, or maybe some backpacking).
    -Matt
    Hi Matt. Just so happens my wife and I are planning on doing an easier/intermediate canyon in Zion on Monday the 17th, early start. We are experienced canyoneers, and you are welcome to join us. Send me a note directly to see if the logistics and timing match up.

I'll be down in zion Sept 14 to 25 would love to meet more bogley members for canyons.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Easier and probably more legal to add another to your permit when you pick it up. Harder if you are Expressing it. Even if you are expressing it, it should be fast to go in and add another person.

(Just suggesting ways of dancing with the permit system that might be easier).

Tom
    Yeah you're right about the legal issues, but what I was planning was for them to reserve a slot and then when we get down there they cancel their reservation and add it to ours. This just ensures that there is still a slot open for them when they get down there, which can often be a problem if going in peak season. After looking at PC online though it looks like its not gonna fill up that day so they decided to forgo the 5$ res fee and just add it when we get there.