Thread: Lone Peak | Camping | And Such

Lone Peak | Camping | And Such

Hi. It's been ages since I've been on here. lol

So... here's another Lone Peak thread... but, I think mines a bit different? I hope. I've spent the last hour or so researching this and looking at maps, trip reports, photos, and even videos... and now I'm ready to have everyones professional opinion about this. ;)

What I want: I want to hike a tall peak, that will then overlook most of the Wasatch range (lots of peaks, canyons, streams, meadows, etc.)... so that I can get some sunrise shots of the mountains. Yes... I'm doing this solely just to get some pics. :P Haha

So, while looking at some TOPO maps, I figured Lone Peak would be a good candidate for this. It's high, it's far enough west that I'd get a crap ton of mountains out east. First question: Is Lone Peak my best bet for this? If not... which peak would you suggest?

Now for how to get there. I'm planning on camping up at the top... so that I can be there for sunrise. So it will be a two day hike. With that said... what would be the best way to go? Bear Canyon sounds pretty good. I'm not terribly concerned about time. Mostly exposure, water, and difficulty (for the person going with me).

I was thinking of doing Bell Canyon. There will be sufficient amount of shade, plus a lot of water. But I hear past the upper reservoir it's a total bitch getting to the peak? Thoughts? I'd like to do this before our first snow. So, most likely this month.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Jeremy

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Lone Peak | Camping | And Such

Timp might work better for what you want. There is no where to camp on top of lone peak and the summit scramble would be difficult in the dark.

Sent using Tapatalk

Lots of folks hike to the top of Timp to watch the sun rise. The last real campsites on Timp are in the meadows below the summit.

Can you camp at the top of Timp?
    Yes, but anchor your tent down good and make sure it's self supporting. It can get windy at night. The camping place is a few feet north of the summit on "Dance Rock" (where they used to hold dances in the 1920's-1940's for novelty purposes). It's a flat rock just big enough for camping and people do camp there on occasion.

It's not that high, but Granduer Peak is a wonderful summit to sleep on top. Nice flat area and very comfortable.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.