Thread: Swimming in Foolin

Swimming in Foolin

This Labor Day we decided to take a
    Attached Images Attached Images       

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Awesome TR. Good decision-making in challenging circumstances.

Tom

4. Likes Mountaineer liked this post
    Nice TR man, sounds like a close call.

The high stemming made him a bit nervous.
    There's a thin line between feeling nervous and feeling scared for your life with good reason. I lead 5.11+ and I frequently feel nervous while high-stemming... your son's a badass.

Did he stem on his own unprotected? A better option may be to hang him from your harness w/ a daisy chain while you high-stem?

Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post

Did he stem on his own unprotected? A better option may be to hang him from your harness w/ a daisy chain while you high-stem?
    We attached a daisy originally (that we use on our packs), but then switched to a PAS where we could do an adequate belay. However, when we're all stemming, providing a safe belay is questionable at best. I didn't attach it to my harness, what if I slipped? So, we used chock stones, wall geometry, and sequencing to each person as the best method given the situation. It took more time, still not ideal, but I felt better doing it that way. After it all, he did great and the PAS was gratefully never tested.

Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    ...I lead 5.11+ and I frequently feel nervous while high-stemming... your son's a badass.
    On the lighter side, we both appreciated the comment. Glad we may be normal? ; as stemming high can be physical, but seems more mentally demanding!

Awesome TR and story! That must have been very unnerving to have your family in that situation--sounds like very level headed decision making. You didn't mention your 15 yr old, how'd he do? Thanks for sharing.

I didn't attach it to my harness, what if I slipped?
    I was just tryin' to be funny with the comment about attaching him to your harness like a pack hang, I agree that it would be a bad idea.

Glad we may be normal?
    Not sure what you meant by this, but I wasn't tryin' to sound like an ass. I was just trying to convey that I'm pretty comfortable with exposure in challenging situations and I often get sketched out by high stemming and that I am impressed by your sons badassness. Sorry if I offended you man.

-Sam

Re: Swimming in Foolin

Not offense taken, just the opposite! Appreciated the original comment as a compliment. :-)

Re: Swimming in Foolin

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    Awesome TR and story! That must have been very unnerving to have your family in that situation--sounds like very level headed decision making. You didn't mention your 15 yr old, how'd he do? Thanks for sharing.
    At ease and efficient. A critical member when helping to shuttle the little guy.

12. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post