Thread: Good Packs For Canyoneering

Good Packs For Canyoneering

I am getting into Canyoneering and I have most of my gear but I'm trying to find a good affordable pack that I don't mind tearing apart. The Imlay
    Cayon Packs (especially the kolob) looks awesome, but I wanted to see if there are any more great options available for cheaper that work well and can at least hold up for a couple seasons. Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Mountain Man

Re: Good Packs For Canyoneering

I'm probably a little different and a bit stingier. I just take a beater pack and use beater dry bags. An rei used gear sale Talus 35 http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...I3JkmiyYVFGyag. Nice things are the external gear loops and compression holding flaps/straps, handy for holding ropes. I get the cheap walmart dry bags and go. Never had a need for the specialty packs.

Sent from my ICS'd SGS2

I think it also depends on what kind of canyons you are planning on doing.

For completely dry canyons, you don't need a pack that is self-draining. For wet canyons, yes, you will want one!
    For really tight slot canyons, you will want a very tough and robust pack. The pack will be scraping and draging against the rocks, it will wear very quickly. For wider canyons, this is not really a problem.
    The Imlay packs are (imo) suitable for all conditions, thus they are so popular.

Up to you to decide..... but since a lot of experienced canyoneers use Imlay packs, I also chose one when starting with canyoneering. And so far, it works excellently. Also it has these little things that work very nicely, like the loop on the top on the the inside of the pack, a helmet store area on the outside, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by maarten.1975 View Post
    The Imlay packs are (imo) suitable for all conditions, thus they are so popular.
    I highly recommend the Imlay packs. Worth the extra investment. I've taken them on long hikes, and through A LOT of very tight canyons. They hold up well, drain, and are versatile.

I often use an Imlay Kolob pack, it's a great canyoneering pack.

But I recently made some canyoneering packs for my daughters

$35 Canyonering Pack