Thread: Dark Canyon

Dark Canyon

After an uneventful day in Beef Basin (I expected it to be much more interesting) I headed up the Elk Ridge mountain and camped at the trailhead to Dark canyon.

The canyon is Wilderness area but there is a portal trail down Peavine Canyon that connects with Dark canyon. My quest was to get to Scorup Cabin.

My dad was a cowboy when he was young and spent a lot of time in Dark canyon, he had many great stories and I love to visit and reminisce.

Great trail for Motorcycle, ATV or 4x4 if you don't worry about paint. Between the cattle, flash flooding and lack of vehicle travel the trail is grown over and hard to follow in spots. One good wash out that would be tough in a jeep but I think still passable on ATV and motorbike
    Attached Images Attached Images                              

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Dark Canyon

Very cool area! What a great place to explore. That's the type of riding I used to do and I miss it. Lately it's all balls to the wall stuff.

Nice pics and cool story, did you ride by yourself ? Those water crossings looked bottomless.

Cool. I'm jealous. I haven't been on my moto in over a month. Too much mtn biking I guess. Where's Dark Canyon?
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

That is always a fun ride. I haven't done a bike in a long time but the four-wheeling down there is a lot of fun. Did you do any other trails besides Beef Basin and Dark Canyon? Lots to do, even a little single track.

Very nice TR Fourty and thank you.
    Looks like a good time just plain getting away from it all.

I love these kind of places with no crowds and a bit of history to boot.

I can't help but wonder what slime ball took the smoke stack between stove and roof. MFJERKS.
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.
    Life is good and life is fare.

@ REDFOX. I was alone, spent two nights and three days in the area. I did get stuck in the mud in one crossing and found out my bike will run upsidedown at that wash out

@ nelsonccc. Dark canyon is southwest of Moab south of Canyonlands NP. From Elk Ridge mountain to the Colorado River. I have hiked all 50 or so miles in the past. The Motorized passage is only 17 miles in.

@ middlefork. I did ride over the causway to Dry wash on the Blanding side of the Blues to visit relatives that were camped there but no other trail rides this trip. I need to get to the singletrack there someday.

9. Likes BruteForce liked this post
    Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Awesome!
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Thanks fourtycal ! I am planning a ride and was looking for info on the wilderness access - couldn't find anything and here comes your ride report! Looked on the MVUM for that area and the road is definitely on the map. Thanks again for the report

Rick

I rode my XT 350 to the Scorup Cabin back in the early 90's and it was definitly one of the most enjoyable rides I ever did. It was amazing to see all the items still in their place as if the cowboys would be back that evening. Good to see that most of the items are still there.

Good to see some horns, too. I love that country.

Excellent pics and TR, thanks for sharing.