Thread: Coyote Gulch early October?

Coyote Gulch early October?

Hi. My friend and I are planning a backpack trip in Coyote Gulch early October. We're from out east so aren't familiar with this area.

• How cold should we expect the nights at this time of year? 30's, 40's? Want to make sure I bring the right sleeping bag and clothes.
    • Should we anticipate shorts/T-shirt weather during the daytime?

I was thinking of starting at the 40-mile water-tank trailhead, heading to Hurricane Wash, hike Coyote Gulch to Escalante River, come out at the crack-in-the-wall and loop back to the trailhead.

• Is 3 days plenty for this (considering it's our first time there, we'll want to take it all in and not rush) or do we need 4?
    • How easy is it to find the entry point to Hurricane Wash from the trailhead - likewise, how easy is it to find the water tank trailhead from the crack in the wall?

If we were to skip the Hurricane Wash entry and enter at Jacob Hamblin Arch, how bad/steep is that entry point? We'll be carrying backpacks. Any opinions on which route is better?

What are the chances for a flash flood in this canyon early October? I was looking at some videos of flash floods and it's amazing how fast they build up.

Really looking forward to this trip!

Appreciate any assistance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

nights in mid oct. can be cool. you can even get an unexpected snow storm. nights in the 30's would not be unexpected.

days can be nice and warm too. t shirts and shorts type. safest to say that oct is variable. depends on the year. i have had years that have that beautiful indian summer and others where winter came early.

3 days is doable but 4 is better if you have the time.

finding hurricane from the water tank is easy. finding the water tank from the crack is easy. downclimbing down below jacob hamblin arch is not recommended. it is steep and exposed. the climb up is wasn't too bad but to downclimb it onsight would be tricky. i would use it as an exit but not an entry.

flash flood potential should be low. monsoons season should be over well before then.

have fun.

heres the climb out from below jacob hamblin.
    Name:  SCAN0049.jpg
Views: 1273
Size:  74.0 KB
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

Welcome to Bogley!

Denaliguide pretty much nailed it. Just a couple of things to add, and they are simply matter of personal preferance.

3 days was just right for us. If you enter through Crack and use the boyscout exit (near JHA, pictured above) you'll get to see all of the good stuff. Hiking up and out of Crack would be kinda crappy, it is really sandy and uphill. Going down the sandy hill is really fun. Taking in the scenery is easier for me when I'm not fighting gravity. YMMV.

You'll know you are at the exit when you see the super-nice outhouse that recently burned to the ground. JHA is about 100 yards downstream.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Hmm, didn't think about doing the loop counter-clockwise. Is this how most people hike it? Of course, at the start of the hike, our packs would be heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo View Post
    Hmm, didn't think about doing the loop counter-clockwise. Is this how most people hike it? Of course, at the start of the hike, our packs would be heavier.
    I'm not sure if most people do it this way or not. Pehaps not since it is upstream, maybe it's a little counterintuitive. However, the terrain going upstream is generally very easy in Coyote.

If I had to do it over, I'd still do the loop counter-clockwise; simply because hiking up and out of Crack doesn't look fun, even with a light pack.

Heck, I want to do it again right now.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...6-Coyote-Gulch
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

Assuming good weather, how easy is the jacob hamblin trailhead to get to with a 2wd not high clearance vehicle?

Assuming good weather, how easy is the jacob hamblin trailhead to get to with a 2wd not high clearance vehicle?
    http://www.wildbackpacker.com/backpa.../coyote-gulch/

Well, this may or may not be helpful, because we parked at the Fortymile Ridge trailhead, not JHA trailhead. There is some deep sand that tends to drift over the trails out there. That being said, we saw a couple of 2wd cars parked at the trailhead. I'd have a good plan of escape if you decide to bring a car out there. A shovel, and maybe a winch/towstrap.

I presume you saw the 2wd cars at the Fortymile Ridge trailhead and not the JHA? I've been reading that the JHA trailhead is ok for 2wd cars but not the 40 mile one. Hope that's what you were referring to.

Does anyone know if any federal, state or local organization maintains Hole in the Rock Road, including the 40 mile ridge road up to at least the JHA trailhead? If so, credit card company will insure rental vehicle, otherwise we'll have to purchase the CDW insurance. Might it be the BLM, The National Park service, the county?

I presume you saw the 2wd cars at the Fortymile Ridge trailhead and not the JHA? I've been reading that the JHA trailhead is ok for 2wd cars but not the 40 mile one. Hope that's what you were referring to.
    Yes, we saw the 2wd cars at the 40 mile TH. I've never been to the JHA trailhead, but the terrain out there is fairly consistent. Sand, sand, rock, little more sand. I'm only guessing that the two trails are very similar. Dunno, could be wrong.