Thread: Apple Wins $1 Billion as Jury Finds Samsung Violated Patents

Apple Wins $1 Billion as Jury Finds Samsung Violated Patents

Yeah it's a little old, but was brought up in another thread.

---

Apple scored a sweeping legal victory over Samsung Electronics on Friday as a U.S. jury found the Korean company had copied critical features of the hugely popular iPhone and iPad and awarded the U.S. company $1.05 billion in damages.

As for the countersuit, the jury found Apple did not violate any of Samsung's wireless standards or feature patents.

Shares of Apple [ AAPL 665.24 +1.372 (+0.21%) ], which this week became the biggest company by market value in history, hit an all-time high of $675 in after-hours trading. Click here for the latest after-hours quote.

The verdict, which came much sooner than expected, could lead to an outright ban on sales of key Samsung products and will likely solidify Apple's dominance of the exploding mobile computing market.

A number of companies that sell smartphones based on Google's [ GOOG 685.09 +3.41 (+0.50%) ] Android operating system may now face further legal challenges from Apple, a company that is already among the largest and most profitable in business history.

After the verdict, Apple's lawyers said they will file for a sales injunction against Samsung within the next seven days. The judge in the case set a Sept. 20 hearing on the proposed injunction.

Brian Love, a Santa Clara law school professor, described it as a crushing victory for Apple: "This is the best-case scenario Apple could have hoped for."

In a statement after the verdict, Apple said, "We are grateful to the jury for their service and for investing the time to listen to our story and we were thrilled to be able to finally tell it. The mountain of evidence presented during the trail showed that Samsung's copying went far deeper than even we knew ... We applaud the court for finding Samsung's behavior willful and for sending a loud and clear message that stealing isn't right."

Samsung also issued a post-verdict statement, saying, "Today

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

In other parts of the world, Apple has not won its case...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...089713702.html
    Tokyo Court Rules Samsung Didn't Infringe on Apple's Patents

TOKYO—A Tokyo court ruled Friday that Samsung Electronics Co. 005930.SE +1.48%did not infringe on an Apple Inc. AAPL +0.21% patent in the latest court battle between the two companies, handing the South Korean consumer electronics manufacturer a narrow victory in Japan on the heels of last week's sweeping defeat in the U.S.
    Tokyo District Judge Tamotsu Shoji, speaking on behalf of a three-member panel, said Samsung's Galaxy smartphones and tablet computers did not violate Apple'sAAPL +0.21% patent for the synchronization of music and video data on devices with servers. The Japanese ruling only covered a single patent, unlike the U.S. trial, which covered seven patent claims made by Apple and counter claims by Samsung.
    As the battle between the two technology giants plays out in courts around the world, Friday's ruling is the first in a series of patent infringement cases being brought by Apple in the Japanese judicial system over the coming months.

Re: Apple Wins $1 Billion as Jury Finds Samsung Violated Patents

Apple also lost its battle in Korea against Samsung.

So far the only case Apple has won is the case tried in their own backyard at a courthouse a couple miles down the road from Apple company HQ using a jury pool of family members with jobs tied to Apple.

Sent using Tapatalk

Not really true once again, Shane...

In the end, Judge Koh selected seven men and three women to hear the case. The group includes an insurance agent, an unemployed video-game enthusiast, a project manager for AT&T Inc., a store operations manager for a cycling retailer, a systems engineer, and a benefits and payroll manager. A Google employee and an Apple employee didn’t make it onto the jury, and neither did a few holders of technology patents.
    Not credible source this far proves any familial link to Apple. The jury selection process was 30 hours long.

I don't know what I think about the implications of ownership of a devices' overall "dress" but jury bias doesn't seem a viable complaint.

Its the same as a trial against Kennecott in SLC.... there is not a person living in SLC that doesn't have a large financial stake in Kennecott. As goes Kennecott so goes the SLC valley. To me the that mine is on the most beautiful mountain in the USA.

Sent using Tapatalk

Trials and juries are imperfect. That is different than stating "using a jury pool of family members with jobs tied to Apple". That is a specific claim. It is false.

As far as the proximity claim....maybe you haven't spent much time in California? The 10 miles between Apple HQ and the court consists of a population density almost four times as large as metro SLC. Considering the spectrum of demographics of the jury I doubt most of them had a "financial stake" in Apple (your claim is a little outlandish for the 200k people living in SLC as well). Considering both companies queried and chose jury members I would wager that the people represent the biases of the average consumer, i.e. have favoritism for either company. Google's headquarters in only 3 miles further away and estimates put their employee force at almost 10,000 more people. Considering Google owns Android technology I would assume their bias would be anti-Apple, especially since Apple dropped google maps and youtube from their service.

So, I wouldn't think there would be such a noticeable bias to explain the outcome.

I tend to agree with Samsung's statement that it it not good for consumers when a company can patent a rectangle with rounded corners....but that is the personality of law right now.

while this is turning into a picture thread ... might as well throw this one up

11. Likes accadacca liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Ewww Poned!!!