Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OK, Mormons, drink up - Coke and Pepsi are OK

Section 89 of the D and C has 21 verses and only 4 of them state what not to consume. The rest go into detail about what to consume and what will be promised if we do.

I find it interesting that this was written 179 years ago and it has only been recently that science has discovered that following the same guidelines would promote a healthy lifestyle.

Nice to know that I'm just a wee bit less of a sinner than I was last week.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

[QUOTE=Sandstone Addiction;509446
    I find it interesting that this was written 179 years ago and it has only been recently that science has discovered that following the same guidelines would promote a healthy lifesty[/QUOTE]

Science was reluctantly concurring with the WoW in the 60s and 70s. The most recent science it changing it's tune. It is now believed that small to moderate amounts of alcohol promote good cardiovascular health, that wine is good not just for the alcohol but other micro nutrients found in the red grape skin, and they've proved that regular caffeine users have greater brain function than non users. Everyone still believes that tobacco is a bad thing though. Just today on the news I heard that love handles (fat pockets) are as bad for your heart as smoking. Wait a couple of years and science will change it's conclusions again!

4. Likes restrac2000 liked this post
    Wine, beer, coffee, and tea have all been shown to health benefits. Most people don't consume them in such a way but that does not affect the legitimacy of their benefits.

On the other hand, there is no health benefit that I am aware of to soft drinks, caffeinated or not. Most people don't consume soda in healthy ways. Increasingly researchers are discovering the cardio vasular detriment of "added sugar," i.e. anything not found in whole foods.

OK, Mormons, drink up - Coke and Pepsi are OK

Quote Originally Posted by double moo View Post
    Everyone still believes that tobacco is a bad thing though.
    nicotine has been shown to have some positive effects for memory and attention.

Everybody has been telling me for years that I should be seeing a kidney stone any day now because of the amount of carbonation I drink.

[Dwight Schrute]
    FALSE
    [/Dwight Schrute]

I've been consuming Diet Mountain Dew as my primary source of hydration for over 15 years now. I'll consume at least 6 liters a day. And since it's @96% water, I'm consuming just shy of 6 liters of water a day plus any other liquid I come across on the side. I've got a buddy who is a Urologist and I asked him if carbonation really causes the stones. He says as long as I keep the kidneys hydrated I shouldn't have a problem. I found out from another Urologist that it's the carmel coloring in the darker colas that can be occasionally blamed for buildup in the kidney, this is easily learned as they analyze the stone after it's passed.

As far as carbonation cutting into the lung capacity, I can't find a reliable source besides "my son's coach said this" mixed in yahoo answers. I do recall seeing some improvement in my climbing capability when I cut carbonation for a bit, but I was on a different eating schedule too.

How much sugar is in that drink?

Re: OK, Mormons, drink up - Coke and Pepsi are OK

Diet mountain dew's second ingredient after carbonated water is concentrated orange juice. So no thanks, I'm covered lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

They also use orange juice in their "throwback" recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post
    They also use orange juice in their "throwback" recipe.
    Everyone has told me that the throwback flavors are horrible... is this true? I am yet to hear a positive thing about them.
    Customizable Adult & Kids shirts, onesies, and More
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/CheaperThanShirt

I prefer the throwback Mt Dew but it is no longer available.....all the ingredients are the same accept orange juice/high fructose corn syrup

Never tried the pepsi version.

Blog Entries

OK, Mormons, drink up - Coke and Pepsi are OK

Quote Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post
    I prefer the throwback Mt Dew but it is no longer available.....all the ingredients are the same accept orange juice/high fructose corn syrup

Never tried the pepsi version.
    No longer available? Maybe just in your area. It's available at work here and the local gas stations in Farmington and Kaysville.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I saw some in Smith's in Brigham City several weeks ago, but I don't know if they still have any....

If I find some throwback I'll have to try it now
    Customizable Adult & Kids shirts, onesies, and More
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/CheaperThanShirt

I like the throwback. Its made with real sugar.

Name:  mnt_dew_throw_back.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  42.8 KB

17. Likes Pelon1, DOSS liked this post