Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK, Mormons, drink up - Coke and Pepsi are OK

OK, Mormons, drink up - Coke and Pepsi are OK

Maybe now, reporters, bloggers, outsiders and even many Mormons will accept that the Utah-based LDS Church does not forbid cola drinking.

On Wednesday, the LDS Church posted a statement on its website saying that "the church does not prohibit the use of caffeine" and that the faith’s health-code reference to "hot drinks" "does not go beyond [tea and coffee]."

A day later, the website wording was slightly softened, saying only that "the church revelation spelling out health practices ... does not mention the use of caffeine."

Same goes for the church’s two-volume handbook, which stake presidents, bishops and other LDS leaders use to guide their congregations. It says plainly that "the only official interpretation of ‘hot drinks’ (D&C 89:9) in the Word of Wisdom is the statement made by early church leaders that the term ‘hot drinks’ means tea and coffee."
    That doesn’t mean church leaders view caffeinated drinks as healthy. They just don’t bar members from, say, pounding a Pepsi, downing a Dew or sipping a hot chocolate.

Even LDS presidential nominee Mitt Romney has been seen drinking an occasional Diet Coke, and Mormon missionaries in France routinely imbibe — without embarrassment or consequences.

This week’s clarification on caffeine "is long overdue," said Matthew Jorgensen, a Mormon and longtime Mountain Dew drinker.

Jorgensen, who is doing a two-year research fellowship in Germany, grew up "in a devout Mormon household, in a small, devout Mormon town," where his neighbors and church leaders viewed "drinking a Coca-Cola as so close to drinking coffee that it made your worthiness ... questionable."

That view was magnified when LDS Church President Gordon B. Hinckley offhandedly told "60 Minutes" that Mormons avoid caffeine. Several earlier LDS leaders, including apostle Bruce R. McConkie, considered imbibing Coke as a violation of the "spirit" of the Word of Wisdom.

It was dictated in 1833 by Mormon founder Joseph Smith and bars consumption of wine, strong drinks (alcohol), tobacco and "hot drinks," which have been defined by church authorities as tea and coffee.

Even so, many outsiders and plenty of insiders get that wrong.

Journalists — from The New York Times’ columnist Maureen Dowd to The Associated Press — have often stated that Mormons don’t drink caffeine. Last week, NBC News’ hourlong feature on Mormonism made the same mistake, prompting the church’s initial statement on its website.

That blog post was later tweaked, according to church spokesman Scott Trotter, "to clarify its intent, which was to provide context to the NBC piece."

Part of the confusion stems from LDS Church-owned Brigham Young University, which neither sells nor serves caffeinated drinks.

But BYU spokeswoman Carri Jenkins explains that is "not a university or church decision, but made by dining services, based on what our customers want."

There has not "been a demand for it," Jenkins said Thursday. "We are constantly evaluating what those needs and desires are."

Indeed, fully caffeinated colas are available in the church’s Joseph Smith Memorial Building restaurants and in the Lion House Pantry next to the faith’s headquarters in downtown Salt Lake City.

In the end, it’s up to individual Latter-day Saints to decide what to drink.

"I can understand why the church is cautious," Jorgensen wrote in an email. "Saying that caffeine is OK might sound like saying that caffeine is healthy, maybe even an endorsement of caffeine. Plus, I think members need opportunities to work through questions of right and wrong for themselves."

Caffeine, he said, "is the perfect, low-risk testing ground for members to make decisions for themselves."

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/54...e-lds.html.csp

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Am I the only one who never thought a ban on "all caffeine" was never doctrine? Some mormons just took it that one step further (especially around Utah county), but was it ever doctrine?

On the other hand; will it be possible to buy coke or pepsi on campus at BYU now?

Living in Utah always made it clear to me that individuals interpreted it differently. Some took it to mean all caffeine while many would imbibe sodas.

That said, what about iced coffee? Is it the process that makes it or its final product that is labeled "hot drinks"? Actually curious on how such drinks are interpreted now. Granted, the statement is almost 180 years old and didn't deal with the plethora of McCafes selling every concoction known to man.

Outside of Utah....my LDS friends drank as much alcohol and caffeine as the average person.

Maybe now, reporters, bloggers, outsiders and even many Mormons will accept that the Utah-based LDS Church does not forbid cola drinking.
    True; it never really was forbidden.

But abstaining from caffeine is still recommended.

See below for many links:

http://www.lds.org/search?lang=eng&query=caffeine
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

So glad to hear I now have the go ahead to drink a Mtn Dew on occasion. Which I have had since birth.......... The go ahead that is.

Re: OK, Mormons, drink up - Coke and Pepsi are OK

I guess that I will have to go to hell for something else. Pass me another mtn dew !

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by REDFOX View Post
    I guess that I will have to go to hell for something else. Pass me another mtn dew !

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    Save me a seat...

Yeah lots of misinterpretation about caffeine in the doctrine although researching the term has never been easier.

Although caffeine is not "banned" nor ever was, it still isn't great on the body. There are a lot of things that aren't great on the body like a weekly dose of McDonald's french fries but that's not going to be doctrine either, it's just where common sense takes over. Plenty of people have taken the Caffeine issue to the extreme while filling their stomach up with other crap.

It's all basically a health code. Now maybe my parents and wife will ease up on me for my intake of Diet Dew.

As for iced coffee, who knows. I don't really care though because I'm watching my carbs.

Plenty of people have taken the Caffeine issue to the extreme while filling their stomach up with other crap.
    Like some of that stuff that always shows up at church picnics.

Anyway, with rare exceptions I only drink skim milk, water, and juice (but not all mixed together), but that doesn't have to anything to do with any church. Soda (especially Mountain Dew) has nasty stuff in it, even without the caffeine.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I wrote a long post regarding the WoW, and this all ties out... Lost it before sending. It ended with the final statement "beer is for Mormons". Look it up it's true...

I know plenty of mormons who drink beer, soda and coffee.....though most of them don't live in Utah.

Glad to hear it...and good thing they took that that sugar ban in the last edit (according to docs unearthed by Mark Hoffman). The church might notta grown up so fast :)

Mark Hoffman?????
    Life is Good

Re: OK, Mormons, drink up - Coke and Pepsi are OK

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Mark Hoffman
    He was my neighbor during his hey-day. He lived at his parents house three houses down the road.

Sent using Tapatalk

OK, Mormons, drink up - Coke and Pepsi are OK

Mark had a gold Mine in the LDS church! Fabricate slightly unflattering LDS history and they buy it up to keep it off the streets. I wonder how much of his and other crap is buried in the vaults!

roughly 12 years ago I was tackled at a youth camp for having a Mt Dew in my hand (really long story actually) but anyways, the lady that tackled me was a very hardcore by the book person and she even believed that fat people were breaking doctrinal rules.....

.... kinda funny actually, when all was said and done she baked me some pretty freaking tasty cinnamon rolls.... not to mention I think her perspective was changed so that Mt Dew was ok to drink at Youth Camp
    Customizable Adult & Kids shirts, onesies, and More
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/CheaperThanShirt

"Caffeine, he said, "is the perfect, low-risk testing ground for members to make decisions for themselves.""

ok, so, what happens when you need to make a high risk decision for yourself? If you make good low-risk decisions do you graduate to higher risk decisions?

obviously not a real serious question here. just poking the sleeping bear.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by double moo View Post
    Mark had a gold Mine in the LDS church! Fabricate slightly unflattering LDS history and they buy it up to keep it off the streets. I wonder how much of his and other crap is buried in the vaults!
    I heard it was the Mormon Mafia keeping him quiet!

More true than you'ld like to believe....

she even believed that fat people were breaking doctrinal rules.....
    Technically, she's correct as both overeating and not getting enough excersize are both against guidelines, so unless something besides overeating/lack of excersize caused the "fatness" she has a point, though she should be careful not to be judgemental.

In last year's Aaronic Priesthood Manual, the following question is asked to the young men:

It is possible to overeat and feel the Spirit of the Lord. The answer given is false.

Strength of Youth says the following (exact cut and paste):

To care for your body, eat nutritious food, exercise regularly, and get enough sleep. Practice balance and moderation in all aspects of your physical health.

It also says the following so you have to be careful not to go the other way:

Also, avoid extremes in diet that could lead to eating disorders.