Thread: Southern utah hiking end of sept. advice needed

Southern utah hiking end of sept. advice needed

Hi all. My buddy and I are planning a 10 day trip to southern Uta from oyt east late September. We hiked the West Rim Trail including Angel's Landing in Zion NP three years ago as a day trip and want to return to hike up Observation/Hidden Canyon trails and at least part of the Narrows, plus visit other places for more hiking.

We are considering hiking the Narrows in a day. Is it realistic hikng it in a day? Is it worth hiking the entire distance? How cold is the water that time of year? What kind of special gear woukd we need?

We're also considering doing a 3-4 day backpacking trip to Coyote Gukch. What kind of temperatures should we expect (days and nights) that time of year? Recommended footwear? Which trailhead woukd you recommend? Will a regular rental vehicle be ok getting to the trailheads? Are the trailheads and trails easy to find?

Not sure what else we'll be doing at this point.

Appreciate anything yiu can tell me so we're better prepared.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    yes the narrows can be hiked in a day with an early start or as a backpacking trip. glad I've done it once. probably won't do it again unless a family member wants to do it.
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-narrows.htm

you may want to consider wetsuit socks & dry bagging dry warm cloths in case you need it to warm up.

weather high averages will range from 80s to 70s

fyi a rock slide has closed hidden canyon trail until it can be cleared
    http://www.nps.gov/zion/parknews/hid...ional-park.htm

Thanks for your response regarding the Narrows. We didn't want to do it as an overnighter and considering the earliest we'd likely start would be 8am (shuttle), that means we'd be done by 9pm or so - after dark, I presume. Our dates have shifted by a week and a half - will likely be there early October now. I guess that means we'd likely hike to Orderville Canyon and return from the southern end. How long would that take, approx?

Thanks for the warning re Hidden Canyon.

I emailed Zion NP yesterday about the Hidden Canyon closure and they replied that it was only closed briefly. It's open. I sent them the link so they can either remove it or update it.

Hi Abbey,
    My buddy and I are doing Coyote Gulch (off Hole in the Rock) on September 30 if you want to join us. The elevation between the start and end point is pretty similar so we're starting at Fortymile Ridge trailhead simply because it seems easier to get down the Crack in the Wall than up. A shuttle firm in Escalante is going to take us down the afternoon of the 30th, leaving 3.30pm so we can camp near Fortymile Ridge and make an early start to see Stevens arch en route to a campsite near a spring. We plan to do it in 4 days possibly three, back to our vehicle which will be AWD or 4WD at the other end. (the shuttle to Fortymile Ridge is also handy because that trailhead involves driving through a sandy road). You'll have to be quick replying if you want to link up as I leave the UK for the US in a few days and still have lots to sort out. We're also doing Neon and the Golden Cathedral on the 27th to TH, hiking 28th and 29th, then if we have 4WD we'll come back to Escalante for a night and if it's AWD the shuttle people will leave Escalante, and pick us up en route to Fortymile Ridge. We will be staying in Escalante the night of the 26th. I'm sure we could link up on that shuttle to Fortymile Ridge if you want to bring down the cost.
    As for Narrows, it can be done in a day but you'll have to get a move on this time of year with less daylight so not as much time for photos and enjoying it, and they've had a lot of rain so I don't know if that will make it any slower going. Best ask the Visitor Centre. Regards, Ross. PS direct message me if you reply

Abbey, you said you were able to venture into CG - have a trip report? We'll be there towards the end of the first week of October.

Ross, which exit point are you planning to take out of CG? Where's the "other end" and where are you leaving your vehicle?

I was going to come out through Hurricane Wash at Hurricane Wash trailhead where I will have left our car. I thought I'd do it that way as starting at Crack in the Wall means it would be easier lowering packs through the crack and we walk down the steep sand ridge rather than up it.
    At present we will have to pay for a shuttle to the Fortymile Ridge trailhead as we don't know if our rental vehicle will be 4WD anyway. We hope to do it in 3 or 4 days and maybe explose Sleepy Hollow on the way as people say it's really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo View Post
    Thanks for your response regarding the Narrows. We didn't want to do it as an overnighter and considering the earliest we'd likely start would be 8am (shuttle), that means we'd be done by 9pm or so - after dark, I presume. Our dates have shifted by a week and a half - will likely be there early October now. I guess that means we'd likely hike to Orderville Canyon and return from the southern end. How long would that take, approx?

Thanks for the warning re Hidden Canyon.
    Depends on the hiker. Average hike time to Orderville with maybe a little time to explore Orderville and back is probably 4-5 hours. That is for the average hiker some do it much faster and some much slower. This summer I hiked from the Temple of Sinewava to Big Springs and back in about 6 hours. That included time for lunch, setting up tripod, pictures, etc. Had I only gone to Orderville and back it easily would have been about 2 1/2 hours.

Ch

I used to go hiking near Jacob Hamelin's arch in south-eastern Utah. There's also another place called Coyote Gulch. Look them up and you won't be disappointed. Both are very good places for hiking and weather is pretty good in September.