Thread: Garmin Oregon 500T GPS

Garmin Oregon 500T GPS

Just getting ready to plan a trip to Zion

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Garmin Oregon 500T GPS

a good topo map and a keen sense of direction.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Garmin 60CSx (with utah topo)

Garmin 60CSx

Ol' Yeller...

I'm still using my original Garmin eTrex that was introduced about 15 years ago. For softeware I use NG Topo! (I have most of the states).

I just don't think it's worth spending the big bucks on a GPS. The technology essentially has gone nowhere over the past 6 years, but the prices of these things still haven't come down. Compared to what has happened with cell phone technology, this is nonsense.

I purchased the Magellan eXplorist 300 about 6 years ago for about $75. I beat the snot out of regularly and it finally gave up the ghost in Das Boot this spring. I guess they aren't made to be submerged for 3 hours.

I started shopping around for a new GPS and it was like shopping in 2006 all over again. Everything was the still the same price. So, I just purchased another eXplorist 300. It gets the job done, and I'm not fretting over some $500 device that will likely get smashed at some point.

Also, if you have an iPhone, there is an app called 'You Need a Map'. It is a huge file containing a map of the United States, so it takes a big chunk of your iPhone memory. It's great because it contains all kinds of obscure dirt roads and drainages- and you don't need cell coverage to look at them. It just uses the tiny GPS receiver in your phone. I hiked Egypt 3 just using my iPhone and this app, and it worked great. (I did bring a real GPS for backup)
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

I still use and love my 60csx. More important than which device you have is knowing how, when, and where to use it IMHO. The people who introduced me to this addictive hobby like to say that if you don't get lost, you're not canyoneering. I disagree and like to say I never get lost. Drawing a gps route on Topo! and uploading it to my gpsr is standard prep for any canyon or trip we havent done before. And I always take extra batteries.

I have the Garmin Oregon 300. I love being able to down load google land images to the device. My partner distrusts GPS. Mostly his reckoning off of topo maps is pretty damn good. However I think that the unit is worth the extra 5 ounces and the back up batteries.

Ken

FWIW I use a (free) Android app called Backcountry Navigator on my phone. Comes with multiple maps, route sharing, photo tagging etc. On airplane mode the phone will last a full day with the GPS running. Takes a little while to get used to but for the price it can't be beat!

Quote Originally Posted by New Mexico View Post
    Garmin 60CSx
    The 60CSx is a great GPS. In the end anything with a quad helix antenna should work great.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5