Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poaching fines in Zion

Poaching fines in Zion

In case anyone is curious, the fine for poaching a canyon in Zion is $175. It is assigned to one member of the party and they are even allowed to vote on who that is. This is readily admitting to the park ranger and not giving them any trouble, being nice. They might have a bit more leeway if you give them a hard time and make their job difficult, not sure. Assuming you have 10 people in your group and decide to split it that is less than $18 a person. Good friends give $20's

I've seen a lot of mis-info on the subject and the other thread reminded me, haha.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

2. Likes DiscGo, Slot Machine liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Poaching fines in Zion

Maybe you should put an ad in the newspaper, "Sick of getting screwed by the rigged Subway permit system? Go down the subway with me for a $20 fine contingency fee (minimum 10 people). LOL
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!!!

2008 V2K Classic LT
    2004 Toyota Tacoma
    Schwinn Homegrown
    CouchSurfing
    Patriot Guard Riders

5. Likes Deathcricket liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    In case anyone is curious, the fine for poaching a canyon in Zion is $175. It is assigned to one member of the party and they are even allowed to vote on who that is. This is readily admitting to the park ranger and not giving them any trouble, being nice. They might have a bit more leeway if you give them a hard time and make their job difficult, not sure. Assuming you have 10 people in your group and decide to split it that is less than $18 a person. Good friends give $20's

I've seen a lot of mis-info on the subject and the other thread reminded me, haha.
    What's your source?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Pelon1 View Post
    Maybe you should put an ad in the newspaper, "Sick of getting screwed by the rigged Subway permit system? Go down the subway with me for a $20 fine contingency fee (minimum 10 people). LOL

Hahaha profit!!!! See that's just the problem though. In time, multiple violations may increase the fine size. I guess only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    What's your source?

Tom
    ??? Still waiting. I like canyons, hate permits, have (almost) nine friends and $20. Need some confirmation. Reminds me of the first time I got ticketed $20 for a random violation in Mexico. I offered the cop another $20 in advance because I fully intended to commit the crime again.
    "I approach nature with a certain surly ill-will, daring Her to make trouble"

-Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by EvergreenDean View Post
    ??? Still waiting. I like canyons, hate permits, have (almost) nine friends and $20. Need some confirmation. Reminds me of the first time I got ticketed $20 for a random violation in Mexico. I offered the cop another $20 in advance because I fully intended to commit the crime again.
    Oh sorry. I only thought Tom was waiting, and he can wait for as long as I say. But you sir! How dare you not take me at my word! :)

Hopefully I've covered up enough faces to keep the innocent parties anonymous.

Name:  296898_10151110474744378_813204889_n.jpg
Views: 1301
Size:  138.1 KB

10. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    Speaking as the guy on the ground in this picture, I can confirm what DC has said is true :D
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

12. Likes Deathcricket liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo View Post
    Speaking as the guy on the ground in this picture, I can confirm what DC has said is true :D
    Life is Good

Hahaha.... you got caught.... hahaha...

I'm so far ahead of the permit fee curve they would have to ding me pretty hard to even break back even.... I'm a f**kin' super canyon ninja...

Sent using Tapatalk

15. Likes DiscGo, Deathcricket liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    H

I'm so far ahead of the permit fee curve they would have to ding me pretty hard to even break back even.... I'm a f**kin' super canyon ninja...
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Not that I'd ever consider poaching a canyon.... but if I did......

A helpful Guide.... to Poaching Canyons

18. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    Poaching Pine Creek? That's like shoplifting a gumball...

20. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Poaching Pine Creek? That's like shoplifting a gumball...
    Name:  thumbup.gif
Views: 1206
Size:  1.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I'm a f**kin' super canyon ninja...
    I thought I was the Canyon Ninja?
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Seriously, they cuff you and put you face down on a road for poachin a canyon! Looks like my run in with park cops went very well looking at those pics.

They only put you in cuffs if you try to convert them to Mormanism. I believe the exact words were "One more bible verse and ya gets the peppa spray!"

25. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    Those Zions rangers are all right: "Put the Pirahna down slowly and back away from the rope bag." When canyons are outlawed, only outlaws will be canyoneers. Its enough to make you a tea bagger.

Quote Originally Posted by spinesnaper View Post
    Those Zions rangers are all right: "Put the Pirahna down slowly and back away from the rope bag." When canyons are outlawed, only outlaws will be canyoneers. Its enough to make you a tea bagger.
    depends on who is baggin
    Stop checking my spelling! I know I suck but I amn't in school anymor, so back off.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post

Don't make the mistake of thinking that the fine is always the same. The citing ranger has considerable latitude in what the fine is, and how it is allocated to the group. After several incidents, it is possible you will be banned from the Park.

Tom

After several incidents, it is possible you will be banned from the Park.
    It does happen. Some people have been banned from parks. I believe Fatali has been banned from at least three national parks, but I guess that's another story.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.