Thread: Das Boot - 8/11/2012

Blog Entries

Das Boot - 8/11/2012

My friends and I hit this up last weekend. It has the most water I've seen in there, albeit very muddy. We started from Wildcat at noon, hit Das Boot proper 1pm, and hit the Left Fork at 7pm. QUICK hike. Good stuff!

Anyways enjoy!

From Jeff's youtube description:

"There are 3 ways to get into the Subway. One is the most popular route, I guess it would be called the "Classic Route". Another less popular route is through Russell Gulch that has 3 100+ foot rappels. The last one is through Das Boot! All 3 start at the "Wildcat Trailhead" and end at the "North Fork Trailhead". Das Boot has very cold water so be sure to wear a wetsuit! You do need a permit for Das Boot and if you want to do the Subway too then you need a Subway permit. If you can only get a Das Boot Permit then you will need to exit up the Subway after the last rappel off a tree into a big pool of water. Das Boot is a fun canyon as long as you are warm enough to enjoy it ;)
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Re: Das Boot - 8/11/2012

Sweet.

Tom

Nice video as always! I enjoyed the shot where you left the camera and walked away. Then got ahead of the group and filmed them approaching. That's a lot of work filming!!! Also enjoyed the slo-mo lizard jumping and duck hat. Thumbs up!
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Blog Entries

Das Boot - 8/11/2012

Thanks guys! Yea it does take a whole to film it, but it proves to be worthwhile.

Yea, the lizard trying to escape is hilarious. And no duck - its a penguin!
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Very cool. You guys look like you are having way too much fun. You've set the bar way high on video. Wow, great job.

Damn great video dude!!! What video editing program are you using?

Blog Entries

Das Boot - 8/11/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Aj84737 View Post
    Damn great video dude!!! What video editing program are you using?
    iMovie (Mac)
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Personal preference.... but.... I can't stand these fast motion video's. I think this is the first one I've ever watched all the way through and that is only because I'm doing Das Boot in the near future and wanted to see the canyon again since it's been a few years since muy last trip through.

YMMV

Sweet! Loved the lizard and penguin helmet "cozy".
    Life is Good

Always one of my favorite canyons especially when the water levels are high. Great video. Fast motion isn't my favorite, but I loved what you did with this one! Excellent!!!
    You just don't know how fast things can go wrong!

www.parkcitycarservice.com "Just Leave the driving to us"
    866-361-2925

Blog Entries

Das Boot - 8/11/2012

Thanks guys!

True - cant please everyone. However, we prefer fast forward over a 5min video of 3 rapellers of the same cliff! Boring, but that's just us.

And the intent of our videos is to show most of the canyon, not just pieces here and there. That way, if you have never done it - you can live your canyon life vicariously through us! He he
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

13. Likes Udink liked this post

Badass.

Love the Survivorman-style hiking shots, also digging the jumping animals theme.

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    we prefer fast forward over a 5min video of 3 rapellers of the same cliff! Boring, but that's just us.
    To me that is just as bad as fast motion.... splice in 5 to 10 seconds of each rappal and move along. I hate watching 5 minutes of video looking at a big fat ass from below the rappel... yawn....

Great work jman! Love the pace of the vid. I'll be down there to do Das Boot in a couple of weeks for the first time, so it's nice to get a sneak peak of the entire route.

Btw, what monopod do you use? In the market for a new one....

Blog Entries

I'm not the one holding the cam - that's Jeff. I asked him your question though last night, and he said "Just a twist-lock trekking pole I got at walmart with a bunch of Shoo Goo on the end to make it thicker. Then the GoPro Bike mount on the shoo goo. I'm going to update soon to the Quick Pod Extreme HD monopod that can be found online." He was at the Outdoor Retailer expo a few weeks back and saw that demoing and it was love at first sight. Hope that helps ya man!
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Hope that helps ya man!
    Sure does. Narrowing my choice down to the Quick Pod or the XShot 2.0. Thanks!