Thread: [ Trip Report ] - Naturalist Basin, Utah (aug 9th-12th)

[ Trip Report ] - Naturalist Basin, Utah (aug 9th-12th)

TripReport – Naturalist Basin

TripDates – Aug 9th, 10th, 11th and12th

TotalMiles – 21.6

Overall–

Naturalist Basin is one of the crown jewels of the High Uintas in my opinion.This trip did not let me down. The weather was perfect, not a cloud in the sky (ok a couple itty bitty ones) until the day out right as we were leaving. Myself, along with a few friends summited Mt.Agassiz, meeting some friends on the summit. This was a fantastic short trip. Myself along with 4 others made the trip.

Aug9th- We arrived at the Highline Trail head around 7pm on the evening of the 9th, not a cloud in the sky. We ended up camping just down from the trail head so we could get afresh start Friday morning. The moon was so bright, I was up at 4:30am thinking it was time to go!!

Aug10th-- Strapped on the packs and headed down the trail (we got a latestart so we left around 07:30. There was less than 10 people that we passed or that passed us while on the trail, mostly day hikers. The weather this day was also perfect, not too hot not too cold. Mid day we stopped for lunch at Brooks Lake and messed around for a few before continuing on to our camp spot. We ended up camping just south east of scudder lake, above the red cliffs, very close to a waterfall area ive named "westerman overhang" after a friends picfrom 1992 I saw of him standing on it. (pic inc)

Aug11th-- Mt Agassiz summit day. Today we got started at around 08:00 afterour traditional quaker oats camping breakfast (im sick of the oats).The weather this day was perfect, barely a cloud in the sky. From Scudder Lake, we took the mountaineering route up Agassiz. getting to the summit at around 3 hours later and meeting a couple of friends at the top(approached from the other side). Back to camp to get a decent nights sleep for the hike out.

Aug12th– Nothing really eventful, we took some more pictures, leading usto a late start. None the less we made it back to car for it to startraining on us.

Name:  IMG_0007.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  79.0 KBName:  IMG_0022.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  76.6 KBName:  asdfasdf.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  88.2 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: [ Trip Report ] - Naturalist Basin, Utah (aug 9th-12th)

What a cool place for a waterfall! I used to work for the Uintas in 1999.

Blog Entries

[ Trip Report ] - Naturalist Basin, Utah (aug 9th-12th)

Yea I agree - the naturalist basin is the gem of the uintas.

Thanks for the TR!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"