Thread: Caught a flash flood leaving Zion yesterday.

Caught a flash flood leaving Zion yesterday.

So Z-crew did Behuinin yesterday, had a great trip and I'll probably toss up a TR later this week. We got done about 5ish. We saw some clouds forming and it rolling in, but right when we got down to the bus at Emerald Pools trailhead, the storm hit full force. We saw a huge waterfall shooting out the last rap where we had been an hour previous. So not really a close call or anything, but still a sobering experience to be sure. We had some trouble getting out of Zion, all the buses were full with people vacating the premises. So we just enjoyed the myriads of waterfalls and eventually got out. We went to our normal Oscars for burgers and beers, then went home. On the way out it became apparent that the Subway area also flashed hard from this storm. So we thought we would stop by in Virgin to check it out. Across from that tourist trap with all the little houses there is this road called Sheepridge or maybe SheepBridge. It's also to the bottom of JEM trail, and crosses right over the Virgin river, I'm sure most of you know where it is. So I'm guessing this video is taken almost 2 hours after the storm hit. And we are well ahead of it of course, you'll see hardly any clouds even in the sky yet.

So we drove up to this little picnic spot and the river is chocolate milk flavored but hardly raging at all. We turn around and decide to bail since we aren't sure how it will take to reach us. We are driving back across the road and we now see a small crowd of 10-15ish people gathered at the bridge, and a cop who signals us to stop. We roll down our windows and he asks if we saw anyone in the water at the picnic area upstream. We say no and that we saw the flash up by Zion and were hoping to see a raging torrent but not much happening down here. The cop says it is very close and will be here in a very short time. We park with the small group of people and sit on the cliff. It hit less than 3 minutes later.

So I was expecting this to be gradual, perhaps over a 2-5 minute period. I set my camera in a lower stationary position. Because it won't move I can get a good shot of this one river bend and then I can just high speed the track and capture the water levels of the river. So like a 2 minute time lapse to see the rapid increase in flow. That's why in the video you will see us "oohing" and "aweing" but the camera view is kinda boring. We are looking upriver about 1/8th mile at the carnage approaching. But it wasn't like that, it was a wall of debris and it was instant.

I was shocked seeing this in person. Literally shocked. I've seen a dozen videos of course but it doesn't quite prepare you for the loud noises of grinding boulders, trees being snapped like twigs and pulverized in mush, the wonderful smell of churned earth (reminded me of Patchouli oil), the extreme violence and raw power, etc. And sadly this video also falls short in this category I'm sure. But it was like meeting a violent entity, it had a voice and it's own way of moving, and "screw you" if you got in it's way. Perhaps akin to a herd of trampling buffalo? But it was more than that, I had been in canyons all weekend long appreciating their beauty, and this was like getting to meet "in person" the very creator of these canyons. A lessor god or a primordial, if that doesn't sound to blasphemous, but definitely a more powerful being to put me in my place as a frail, tiny, pathetic organic life form. It's just amazing to stand so close to something that can kill you without a 2nd thought, and an experience I won't forget for a long time.

Your safety is not my responsibility.

2. Likes jeremy1701, ratagonia liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Caught a flash flood leaving Zion yesterday.

Wow, glad you made it out. Neat vid.

Love this canyon! We did it last week, and got out just as the rains hit. Soaked us at the emerald pools, and we had water past our ankles all the way down the trail. The lightening was a bit scary, as we found most tourists huddled under rocks waiting it out.

Yeah love behunin! My only regret is we did Pine Creek the day before it was filled to the brim with water. All the other times I've done Behuinin it has been dry. But based on the day before I packed my still wet wetsuit (and heavy) and lugged it the entire way. Never needed it.

Here is another video a friend tossed up. This one isn't in high def but he's right next to the action and i think has a better shot than me. For sure better audio. Def worth a watch.

6. Likes xxnitsuaxx liked this post

Awesome!!!!!! Yep, thats why you dont want to be any part of a flood!!!!

Thanks for sharing.

My group did keyhole and pine creek yesterday. Pine creek was crazy the most water I've seen in it. lots of fun minus all the slow groups of people we had to pass but I guess that's just part of them two canyons. We didn't get the car parked at the tunnel till about 6 and seen lots of waterfalls popping up all over the park. Defiantly glad to be out of any of the canyons by then.

Caught a flash flood leaving Zion yesterday.

Great video.

From wnorton using an iPad and Tapatalk HD.

Quote Originally Posted by Aj84737 View Post
    My group did keyhole and pine creek yesterday. Pine creek was crazy the most water I've seen in it. lots of fun minus all the slow groups of people we had to pass but I guess that's just part of them two canyons. We didn't get the car parked at the tunnel till about 6 and seen lots of waterfalls popping up all over the park. Defiantly glad to be out of any of the canyons by then.
    Yeah same experience here, did Pine creek on Sat and that is probably the best conditions I have ever seen, out of any trip ever. Even the dead deer was gone. Water was a little muddy but whatevs. Perfect day! Sounds like you had a similar experience minus the crowds.

Wow, awesome videos. Thanks DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    Yeah same experience here, did Pine creek on Sat and that is probably the best conditions I have ever seen, out of any trip ever. Even the dead deer was gone. Water was a little muddy but whatevs. Perfect day! Sounds like you had a similar experience minus the crowds.
    Yea best trip I've had through pine creek yet too and much rather have the muddy brown water than the dead deer pool we had. And you have to love the cathedral and final rappel both fun as can be. And I got to try out my new gopro I'll have to post a video once I get time to edit it

13. Likes Deathcricket liked this post

Amazing vid man. Wow.

Nice vid. Saw another video today on Facebook from the same spot by some friends who where there too (grabbed a screenshot of you getting your video).

Name:  Fullscreen capture 8202012 111055 PM.jpg
Views: 1646
Size:  103.2 KB
    Blog | FB

So Z-crew did Behuinin yesterday, had a great trip and I'll probably toss up a TR later this week. We got done about 5ish. We saw some clouds forming and it rolling in, but right when we got down to the bus at Emerald Pools trailhead, the storm hit full force. We saw a huge waterfall shooting out the last rap where we had been an hour previous. So not really a close call or anything, but still a sobering experience to be sure.
    Did the Behunin Flash look at all like this sequence?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

We're all here, because we ain't all there.

Cool footage, Jake

18. Likes Deathcricket liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Udink View Post
    Nice vid. Saw another video today on Facebook from the same spot by some friends who where there too (grabbed a screenshot of you getting your video).

Name:  Fullscreen capture 8202012 111055 PM.jpg
Views: 1646
Size:  103.2 KB
    Haha that is awesome! Yeap there I am and the police man we talked to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    Did the Behunin Flash look at all like this sequence?
    Those are impressive pictures Bo! I'm not sure really we were already down by the bus stop when it hit. So our view was more like this... There is supposed to be a mountain in the center of that pic believe it or not.
    In some ways I wish I was close to experience it, in others ways I was very happy to be far away from it and safe.
    Name:  295154_409493009108553_2111069595_n.jpg
Views: 1388
Size:  51.3 KB

Here is another video a friend tossed up. This one isn't in high def but he's right next to the action and i think has a better shot than me. For sure better audio. Def worth a watch.
    Wow...that wall of debris is awesome. It matched your description of the grinding rocks and tree branches perfectly.

Bump! This guy got some great footage right from the front and running for a bit ahead of the wake. Saw this on Tanya's facebook page. Great vid and more people should see it.

Nothing beats seeig this in person, but he got pretty close!

^^^^Just showed a short clip on KSL...neat footage!

That is freaking nutz!! Tks for sharing!