Thread: Water filter recommendation?

Water filter recommendation?

Looking for recommendations (or not) for water filtration systems. I tend to do wet canyons, so it seems to me that the contaminated water would flow back into the filter and defeat the purpose. Since I've never found a drybag that reliably works, any recommendations? Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Water filter recommendation?

If I think I may need to filter, which is rare, I take my Katadyn Pro and a Steripen Opti. We used the Steripen on some spring water before climbing out of Parunuweap last Friday.

Blog Entries

I really like the Katadyn Vario Backpacker filter. It's not small, and it's not big. However, it does a GREAT job. It's easy to hookup (especially to my bladder system), and does a great job at filtering and making it taste "normal". It is a ceramic filter (which filters down to .03 microns) and has activated charcoal so it eliminates most smells or weird tastes.

Viruses are between .02-.2 microns. And you should be worried about viruses if it's nasty looking water or pothole water that's been there for a while. If you pump at the source - as a general rule - you'll be ok.

Plus, this filter can pump a lot of volume for it's size, which is important since I'm usually filling my groups 2-3Liter camels all the time.

And something to think about - there are smaller pumps or purifiers that do the same thing - but with some of those you have to let the chemicals or process work - which can take up to 30minutes.

And with viruses, you can buy Katadyn Micropur tablets which will purify most contaminants. And with those you have to wait 20minutes.

Also, I prefer a lever, over piston-style for the pumping.

Just some things to think about.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Platypus GravityWorks - 4L in 2 min @ 10.6oz total (you can buy replacement filters and charcoal for inline). You really just scoop the dirty bag into the water... the "clean" side is sealed.

I've had this one for several years and it has worked great for me. MSR SweetWater Microfilter

Quote Originally Posted by nefariousdeeds View Post
    Platypus GravityWorks - 4L in 2 min @ 10.6oz total (you can buy replacement filters and charcoal for inline). You really just scoop the dirty bag into the water... the "clean" side is sealed.
    Yep, after using this system last month I am sold. It is Da Bomb!!!!!! Also backflushes well enough!

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    I've had this one for several years and it has worked great for me. MSR SweetWater Microfilter
    This is the same one I use. One time the only water we could find was in a nasty cow pond and filtered water out of individual hoof prints. None of got sick at all. I know this one works so I will keep using it

Thanks for the recommendations, everybody! I'm off to buy tonight.

I like my First Need XL...it's a little bigger and heavier than some others, but it's a purifier, not just a filter...and super fast
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

Well, maybe you have already bought something, however this is mine:

Name:  4159rogQXhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  12.1 KB

http://www.amazon.com/MSR-56425-Mini...5735393&sr=1-2

A friend of mine had one, it worked so nicely, no doubts, I decided to get this one once I needed one myself.
    I haven't been using it many times, however I can say this:

- filtering/ purifying clean looking water (that is the only water I have filtered and drank afterwards so far) works properly. I have done that let's say 10 times and drank it all without problems and without off-tastes,
    - the bottom-side which you attach to your bottle has a cap to put on when not in use. This will prevent dirty water from entering there (will not be fully waterproof if you hold it in water for many many minutes, however proper enough for swimming and or short dives in my opinion),
    the whole unit is build properly in my opinion (looking at the construction, how to clean or exchange the filter if it wears out);
    - combination of ceramic and carbon filtering;
    - I can't compare with other devices, but it works fast enough I think.

Good luck in deciding!