Thread: Tour of Idaho

Tour of Idaho

Finished the TOI Thursday of last week. Probably the most epic, hardest, funniest ride I've ever done. 7 days and over 1500 miles, some of the best single track I've ever ridden. I'm working on a trip report.

Go to

http://Motorcyclejazz.com

Or

http://Tourofidaho.com

For all the maps, route and info. They've done an amazing job at the route!!!!

There is also a Facebook group that does a great job at keeping trail conditions etc. up to date.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Tour of Idaho

Here is the site. http://tourofidaho.com/TID.htm that is a serious ride. What bike did you ride. How big of tank are you running to get 200 miles.

Mark

Tour of Idaho

Mark, I rode a 2006 ktm 300xc. The tank is a 7.8 gallon (nearly 8 in the heat) acerbis tank

That has got to be a bit top heavy when full. How do you like your 300?

That was exhausting just reading about the trip.

Tour of Idaho

I love the 300. I have had a 200 & 250 exc. the 300 is amazing. All the power I can handle on tight technical terrain.

I would love to hear your report and see any pictures that you have. This looks like an epic trip and the ride of a lifetime.

Tour of Idaho

We took over 600 pictures between myself and riding partner. We're going through them and putting together a ride report / video. Super fun ride. One of the most amazing I have ever done!!

I just posted this in ADV rider. This is how I managed my oil:

I have the big acerbic clear gas tank (I think they say it's 7.8 gallons, but it will top off at almost 8 - easily covered 250+ miles on a full tank) I then took a black sharpie and made hash marks for the gallon lines. (marked 3,4&5 gallons) I had to know how much to fill it with, because you have to pour your oil in before you fill it with gas, otherwise the oil just sits in the bottom and gums up your carburetor.

I then bought a bunch of plastic containers from usplastic.com that had a side viewer for my oil. I put a hash mark in those for the amount of oil desired for every gallon of gas. I found out that I had to put clear plastic tape over these marks, otherwise the jarring of the ride rubbed the marks off. (good to do a test run with your gear :) I carried 2 of these containers with me and bought oil at gas stations, and had 2 containers shipped up to our hotel in challis. Worked pretty slick. never had any mixing issues. I could get 11 gallons per container of oil.

I really debated purchasing a 4 stroke for this ride, the 2 stroke was amazing. Starting at 235 lbs, and just adding the weight of the fuel proved to work just fine. It was nice to have as light a bike as possible on the trails Martin routed us through.

Martin's tracks, BTW were spot on. Over 7 days, we found maybe 2 or 3 spots that we took about 10-15 minutes to figure out where we needed to be. Often the GPS was off 20-30 ft. or so, but we felt that that was simply GPS error. The trails were extremely well marked and easy to follow. Occasionally we weren't sure what side of a fence we needed to be on, but again, between the route descriptions, maps we were carrying and a little bit of common sense, the route finding wasn't too difficult. Without a GPS or the correct GPS files... it would have been next to impossible.

Man I've been looking at the Utah Backcountry Scenic Route and it would be a cake walk compared to this Tour of Idaho.
    This TOI just looks mean.
    Thanks BlakeC
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.
    Life is good and life is fare.

Maybe with some planning we can get together and ride some of this? Could be very cool for some of us down here in Utah.
    I'm a long ways away but with some planning would like to take a shot at whatever I can with a plan.
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.

After spending hours of time checking out motorcyclejazz you tube vids. I can honestly say I'm stoked to try something like this if nothing else in parts.
    If you have not checked it out do so. One thing that you will take note on is that some rides are very fuel saving and he rides a 450 Honda X with a 4.2 tank non EFI.
    Just something to think about. Tough ass ride in some tuff ass country for sure.

And Thank You BlakeC for getting this to us. You friggin rock bro.

Now this? This would make a great Bogely ride for a group. I think you would be hard pressed to find anything this close and this difficult for an off road moto ride of 1300 + miles or shave it down however you choose to make it work.
    ONE BAD ASS RIDE...........

From what I can see.

This is the kinda of ride that will melt your brain before you ever even get started.

I only hope we can get GPS or better still talk BlakeC into a rerun of sorts and if these guys won't get involved look me up BlakeC and maybe we can redo some of it time willing?

Bar none the baddest shit I have ever seen.

I think we need to need.
    Not sure about this year but maybe?
    I.m not big on a support vehicle but then again how do I get from here to there and back again?

I meen shoot this is 14 hundred one way?

THat's a lot of hot showers and asprin and laundry and OIL CHANGES Plus all the little things we always forget about.

But this one could be to cool!

Someone is bound to go down with a large group and that means a plan for it.

I was checking this out last fall and the one thing I noticed is the 4 or 5 gln. tank and how fuel minded most of these sections where rode.

Not sure just where that would effect them Husa's but I'm sure I'd want a 5 gln. tank for this one.

But it looks to me to be the one to do.

Up high and most ly in your face.