Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Caliber for Hunting

Best Caliber for Hunting

I am looking to get into hunting a little. I will probably only be buying one hunting rifle to start with. I will start off with deer but someday could progress to larger game. Is there a caliber that would be reasonable for a wider variety of game. I have googled it a bit and found various answers. Just thought I would see if anyone on here had an opinion on it.

I have been thinking 7mm, 308 win, or 300 win mag. Is there any reason why one would be superior to another? Could a smaller caliber such as 270 or 243 be adequate on larger game?

Just a noob looking for info.
    So, Kid, you think you got what it takes to be a Punch King?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Best Caliber for Hunting

I hunt with a 243 and love it. But deer is as big as I hunt with it.

If hunting bigger game I shoot a 7mm mag. The 7mm is also good for deer but I prefer to carry the 243 because its lighter and recoil is nil.

I really like the 243 and 7mm because they are flat shooting cartridges.

You will get a lot of various answers to your question. You might as well ask whick is better, blondes or brunettes. :)

Sent using Tapatalk

i have a .270 remington that my mom gave me for my 18th birthday (i'm 54 now). this gun has put more meat on my dinner table than safeway. I have taken deer, elk, more caribou than i can remember and 3 moose. it is a great caliber for north america. light recoil and very comfortable to shoot. i would not use it for big bear though.

the 30-06 is another to consider. it has arguably the widest range of ammo out there. you can reload so many different bullet shapes and weights it is a reloaders dream.

the other .30 cals will also do the job. the 7mm, .308, and the .300 win mag are all good. many will swear by their favorite just as i do with the .270.

more important that the caliber is that you are comfortable with your gun. that takes time at the range. it doesn't matter what you shoot if you can't hit what you are aiming at.

unless you plan on going after grizzly then any of the calibers you mention will be adequate. other considerations are the stock (wood or synthetic), the finish (blue or stainless), the scope (or not) (fixed power or variable).

my favorite gun is my remington, model 700 bdl in .270. wood stock, blued, and a redfield 3x9 scope. my .300 savage is a close second.

Name:  caribou.jpg
Views: 3141
Size:  47.1 KBName:  caribou.jpg
Views: 1595
Size:  153.2 KBName:  les with moose 3.jpg
Views: 1799
Size:  93.3 KB
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

What he said ^... Its all about knowing your weapon.. been shooting an old savage 250-3000 since I got it when I was 16. And other than the fact that finding ammo can be a beast it is my preferred rifle. If you can put the bullet where you want it all of them can be a good choice ;)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

It also depends on where you'll be hunting, and under what conditions.

For example, if I'm pig hunting, for example, in the chaparral and underbrush in, say, Monterey County, CA, I almost always have a lever action rifle with me for easy handling in the brush and quick chambering. The calibers that you've mentioned don't come in that action, but you'll find that the ones that DO come in it will easily handle all sizes of game in North America.

I have a .450 Marlin, and it will drop anything on the continent. Many more people have the same in 45-70, and there's the added bonus of have ammo in the at caliber practically everywhere you'd ever go.

I have a bolt action 30-06. I can buy ammo anywhere and get it in factory loads that are light weight flat shooting for varmints or with heavy grain loads for large big game in North America. I think that the 30-06 is the most versatile caliber made. My opinion for a new rifle best bang for your money is a savage with the accu trigger.

The responses pretty much jive with what the old google got me on the subject. I certainly plan to get dialed in at the range. I plan to work as many distances as I can. I will keep up my search.

Thanks for the info.

It is always interesting to see the reasons people like different calibers.

Quote Originally Posted by REDFOX View Post
    I have a bolt action 30-06. I can buy ammo anywhere and get it in factory loads that are light weight flat shooting for varmints or with heavy grain loads for large big game in North America. I think that the 30-06 is the most versatile caliber made. My opinion for a new rifle best bang for your money is a savage with the accu trigger.
    Get the accu stock also!,, I picked up the Savage Weather Warrior in 30-06 a couple years ago... Nice, simple, smooth, and extremely accurate... First 3 shits after break in we're at 100 yds. 3/8" grouping... All punched each other!

Quote Originally Posted by double moo View Post
    Get the accu stock also!,, I picked up the Savage Weather Warrior in 30-06 a couple years ago... Nice, simple, smooth, and extremely accurate... First 3 shits after break in we're at 100 yds. 3/8" grouping... All punched each other!
    I've heard of people people being nervous at the range before, but that takes the cake! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by tanngrisnir View Post
    I've heard of people people being nervous at the range before, but that takes the cake! ;-)
    it's not that hard if you let the pressure build up for couple of days.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

But thy were accurate shits...

Best Caliber for Hunting

I agree with what everyone has said so far.

But REDFOX mentioned that if anyplace sells ammo, they are going to stock 30-06. That's a great point to consider. If you choose a 30-378 Wetherby Mag. you won't be buying ammo at Wal-Mart (at least the one in Payson ), but you can find plenty of 243, 270, 7mm Mag, 308, '06, 300 Mag, etc. at a reasonable price. Which brings up another point, how much do you want to spend on ammo? It takes practice to have the confidence to place a lethal shot when the time comes. Most of the time tested common calibers have reasonably priced ammo that won't brake the bank to practice, but anything with "MAG" in the name, or anything obscure, will cost more to shoot (unless you decide at some time to start reloading your own).

One other point that hasn't been mentioned much yet is recoil. Let's face it, big guns can be unpleasant to shoot. Doesn't matter one bit if your 338 Rem Ultra Mag can knock an elk down at 1000 yds if you can't hit anything at 100 yds because you flinch every time you shoot it. If you are not used to recoil, I'd choose something that is much more pleasant to shoot. The heavier the bullet, the more powder it takes to propel it down range which increases the felt recoil. A muzzle brake can tame punishing recoil, but the trade off is deafening noise that can be controlled at the range with hearing protection, but in the field not so much.

I would also avoid all the new and improved calibers coming on the scene. Not that there is anything wrong with them, but only because who knows if they are going to survive in 10 years or more. If a factory ceases production on any given caliber of rifle, it will eventually cost more for ammo down the road and may become very hard to find. It seems like all the major manufactures were rushing to unleash the latest and greatest wonder mag and there is just not a big enough market to sustain so many different chamberings. There are a few that seem to fill a niche (like the 270 WSM) that might survive, but for the most part, they are destined to the ranks of obscurity.

Here are my favs and what I like and dislike about them:

30-06 or 270 Win--

Pros: pleasant recoil, ammo availability, adequate for any game in Utah, bullet selection (30-06), almost every manufacturer in the world chambers these
    Cons: bullet range is shorter than the mags

7mm Rem Mag

Pros: manageable recoil, ammo availability, more than adequate for Utah game, longer range (very flat shooting), bullet selection, many different manufacturers
    Cons: ammo costs more, usually 1 or 2 less rounds in magazine, rifle is usually longer

308 Win

Pros: very inexpensive to practice (mil surplus), ammo availability, pleasant recoil, adequate for any game in Utah, usually shorter more compact rifle, bullet selection, many different manufacturers
    Cons: slightly shorter range than 06

7mm-08 Rem

Pros: light recoil, adequate for deer and well placed shots on elk, great caliber for those who don't like recoil
    Cons: ammo availability, bullet selection, shorter range

Any "Short Mag"

Pros: more efficient powder burn with less recoil than their "magnum" counterpart ie, 300 Win Short Mag vs. 300 Win Mag, improved accuracy, longer life expectancy of barrel
    Cons: expensive ammo, usually only room for 2 or 3 cartridges in magazine, ammo availability, it's anyone's guess if they will be around in 10 years, very limited manufacturers (for example, you can't buy a Winchester Model 70 in 300 Ruger Compact Magnum, etc.)

300 Win Mag/338 Win Mag

Pros: Extended range, more sustained energy downrange, bullet selection, ammo availability, bullet placement is less of an issue
    Cons: unpleasant recoil, expensive ammo, usually longer barrel, 1 or 2 less cartridges in magazine

When it comes time to buy, the following link can be helpful to either purchase or decide whether or not you are getting a good deal. Just input what you want or browse the different manufacturers listed at the bottom http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx

I will say that I personally prefer to buy a gently used rifle from a private sale (KSL dot com). Easy to tell if it has been babied or abused and can save a few hundred bucks. Quite often, the rifle will include a very nice scope for next to nothing.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I really like the 243 and 7mm because they are flat shooting cartridges.
    I agree so I mixed the two and bought a 7mm08. It's same brass as a 243 but holds a 7mm bullet. I love the gun for deer.

If I were in your situation it would be a .270 or 7mm Mag. Both common cartridges, easy and cheaper ammo, flat, accurate and either very capable for Deer or Elk.

And then there is the Optics discussion! What Scope will you be looking at?

That all sounds like good advice. As far as optics... I was kinda hoping to buy some sort of package deal the rifle and the scope already matched up for me.

If that isn't an option I have looked a little a scopes. 3x9 seems to be a pretty common option at least as far a strength goes. I don't really know brands on the optics either. I guess I should say I am hoping to get purchase made for under 1000, closer to 500 bucks (har har) would be ideal. That is for both the gun and optics.

I guess for that matter, any advice on gun shops that would give a decent price? I have 160 cabelas bucks stored up on my credit card, thanks job, so I am thinking about using that towards it. I do have other things I need/want so if firearms are ridiculously over priced at cabelas I will shop elsewhere.

Cabelas just sent out their latest sale ad this weekend - good deals on Savage if you have an interest in them. Use your Cabelas $!

The info I found when searching for my gun was to set a budget.. then spend 1/3 on the gun and 2/3 on the optics. I didn't follow this advice... and am already looking to improve the optics! Should have listened.

Wow been off forum for a while so I'm getting into this game late. I am really a fan of Short Magnum Calibers. I own a .270 WSM in a Tikka Lite, and .300 WSM in a Winchester Coyote Lite. When I was young I hunted everything with a .243 and I mean everything. Though some say I shouldn't have, I killed two bull elk with the .243 and both were killed with well placed shots that dumped them in their tracks. I love my .308 Savage Model 10 heavy barrel, but because I have to pay for a new ATV I am actually selling it. If your interested p.m. me, I have harvested, antelope, deer, and a few Prairie dogs and that's with only having less than 100 rounds through it.
    "You Sombitch's couldn't close an umbrella"
    Sheriff Beuford T Justice

PM Sent

Thanks for all the advice. In looking online, watching youtube, and talking to people I will probably be able to kill things with just about any caliber and gun. Now it is just a matter of picking one and of course going hunting...

Here's a pic of my savage .308, I also sent you several pms but my out box does not show it, is my pms getting to you?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "You Sombitch's couldn't close an umbrella"
    Sheriff Beuford T Justice

Quote Originally Posted by MY T PIMP View Post
    Here's a pic of my savage .308, I also sent you several pms but my out box does not show it, is my pms getting to you?
    I have gotten your PMs they seem to be a bit delayed but I am getting them. I am very interested in helping you with your ATV. I sent you a PM.