Thread: Sunrise/Sunset Photography Suggestions For 10-12 day trip

Sunrise/Sunset Photography Suggestions For 10-12 day trip

Ok shutterbugs and explorers, I'm looking for suggestions on best subjects/locations to shoot during our trip in early October. The locations we will be working with are:
    *death valley (day trip from Vegas, hopefully before sunrise until after sunset)
    *zion area (3 sunsets and two sunrises
    *grand canyon north rim (one sunset one sunrise)
    *page area (one sunrise, two sunsets, horseshoe bend for one prob)
    *Possibly Coral Pink Sand Dunes or Valley of Fire SP

Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by jdgibney View Post
    Ok shutterbugs and explorers, I'm looking for suggestions on best subjects/locations to shoot during our trip in early October. The locations we will be working with are:
    *death valley (day trip from Vegas, hopefully before sunrise until after sunset)
    *zion area (3 sunsets and two sunrises
    *grand canyon north rim (one sunset one sunrise)
    *page area (one sunrise, two sunsets, horseshoe bend for one prob)
    *Possibly Coral Pink Sand Dunes or Valley of Fire SP

Thanks in advance!
    For sunrise in DV, either Zabriskie Point (I know, I know, done to death) or the amazing Dante's View. If you've got the vehicle, there's also Aguereberry Point, which can be even better than Dante's if there's no sky.

Sunset? Badwater Basin, esp. if the salt polygons are 'up'.

Grand Canyon: Sunrise: Point Imperial or Cape Royal (a bit more of a drive but I am betting the views from there might be very good).

Sunset: Depends upon where you are staying and such. If you're staying at the North Rim lodge, hotel, etc., then I'd try the Transept Trail. You probably won't get a direct shot with the sun in it, but the views to the east and south will be awesome. You'll have a sweet view of Angel's Gate and Deva, Brahma and Zoroaster Temples from there. It's like a 1/4 mile walk, paved, from the lodge, so you can't beat that

If you are camping and/or don't mind driving in the dark and/or have a higher clearance vehicle and/or more time, I'd consider Parissawampats or Crazy Jug. Those will get you a good view of the south rim, a direct view of the sun if you want, and if you're lucky, a monsoon storm :). In that area, you get a totally different view of the Canyon, and the Esplanade bench is the prominent geological feature within the canyon.

Here's a map showing those access points along the Rainbow Rim area; I'd check with the FS people at Jacob Lake to get the scoop on the current condition of the roads. Some are fine for passenger cars (FS 22), and others would be better for a higher-clearance vehicle even like a Subaru Outback or other SUV. They aren't Jeep roads or anything, though.

Hope that helps!

Be sure and share pics when you get back from your trip
    Last edited by canyonphile; 08-16-2012 at 04:22 PM. Reason: because misspelled and missing words suck :)
    Sonya

Art & photography blog

Facebook Studio Page

"I lost my virginity, but I still have the box it came in"

Quote Originally Posted by tanngrisnir View Post
    For sunrise in DV, either Zabriskie Point (I know, I know, done to death) or the amazing Dante's View. If you've got the vehicle, there's also Aguereberry Point, which can be even better than Dante's if there's no sky.

Sunset? Badwater Basin, esp. if the salt polygons are 'up'.
    Seems like that's the consensus, ZP or DV for sunrise (if we get our butts out there in time from Vegas!) And Badwater for sunset. Wondering if Mosaic Canyon, Mesquite Sand Dunes and Artists Palate are worth visiting during the day?

Quote Originally Posted by canyonphile View Post
    Grand Canyon: Sunrise: Point Imperial or Cape Royal (a bit more of a drive but I am betting the views from there might be very good).

Sunset: Depends upon where you are staying and such. If you're staying at the North Rim lodge, hotel, etc., then I'd try the Transept Trail. You probably won't get a direct shot with the sun in it, but the views to the east and south will be awesome. You'll have a sweet view of Angel's Gate and Deva, Brahma and Zoroaster Temples from there. It's like a 1/4 mile walk, paved, from the lodge, so you can't beat that

If you are camping and/or don't mind driving in the dark and/or have a higher clearance vehicle and/or more time, I'd consider Parissawampats or Crazy Jug. Those will get you a good view of the south rim, a direct view of the sun if you want, and if you're lucky, a monsoon storm :). In that area, you get a totally different view of the Canyon, and the Esplanade bench is the prominent geological feature within the canyon.

Here's a map showing those access points along the Rainbow Rim area; I'd check with the FS people at Jacob Lake to get the scoop on the current condition of the roads. Some are fine for passenger cars (FS 22), and others would be better for a higher-clearance vehicle even like a Subaru Outback or other SUV. They aren't Jeep roads or anything, though.

Hope that helps!

Be sure and share pics when you get back from your trip
    OF COURSE I'll have pics :)
    We are staying at the North Rim Campground (booked a site this week for Tuesday night of our trip). I definitely want to check out Cape Royal and Angel's Window for sunrise, that shouldn't be too tough to get out there before sunrise and hike along the rim...) Point Imperial seems pretty awesome too. We'll have plenty of daylight to do some hiking/exploring during the day as soon as we get our tent set up. Probably won't wander too far from the main area, though I don't really have an idea of the scale.... Transcept Trail seems like an easy enough one to do for sunset as its close to where we'll be... Maybe during the day we'll hop down into the canyon a little bit and explore. Probably won't be hot since we'll be at elevation in October....??

Seems like that's the consensus, ZP or DV for sunrise (if we get our butts out there in time from Vegas!) And Badwater for sunset. Wondering if Mosaic Canyon, Mesquite Sand Dunes and Artists Palate are worth visiting during the day?
    Mosaic Canyon is OK, I found Artist's Palette to be somewhat 'meh' (but that's just me), but Mesquite Dunes are great, esp. if you can get there early enough to avoid all the photography classes and the like who will head to the highest dunes (the northernmost) and leave inevitable trails of footprints.

This was shot looking due east, since there were too many people to frame-left (the north)

Mequite Dunes, Due East by tanngrisnir3, on Flickr

7. Likes jdgibney liked this post

Re: Sunrise/Sunset Photography Suggestions For 10-12 day trip

Mosaic Canyon is OK, I found Artist's Palette to be somewhat 'meh' (but that's just me), but Mesquite Dunes are great, esp. if you can get there early enough to avoid all the photography classes and the like who will head to the highest dunes (the northernmost) and leave inevitable trails of footprints.

This was shot looking due east, since there were too many people to frame-left (the north)

Mequite Dunes, Due East by tanngrisnir3, on Flickr
    that's a really cool shot! Looks like you still have some pretty cool light, what time of day was that? I really like the detail in the shadow side of the dune in the foreground.

that's a really cool shot! Looks like you still have some pretty cool light, what time of day was that? I really like the detail in the shadow side of the dune in the foreground.
    Thanks.

That was shot at 0852 hours, and we'd been out there since roughly sunrise.

Thanks.

That was shot at 0852 hours, and we'd been out there since roughly sunrise.
    Awesome, what time of year (how early was sunset?). Thanks for taking the time to answer my many questions.

Awesome, what time of year (how early was sunset?). Thanks for taking the time to answer my many questions.
    It was on Feb 21, but I actually don't recall the time of sunset. Let me go look at some other pics from that trip and check.

It was on Feb 21, but I actually don't recall the time of sunset. Let me go look at some other pics from that trip and check.
    Oops, I meant sunrise (I keep getting those backwards!) according to sunrisesunset.com it looks like around 630am sunrise feb 21

fds

Probably won't wander too far from the main area, though I don't really have an idea of the scale.... Transcept Trail seems like an easy enough one to do for sunset as its close to where we'll be... Maybe during the day we'll hop down into the canyon a little bit and explore. Probably won't be hot since we'll be at elevation in October....??
    If you are going in Oct, then you very well could see peak fall colors there, so you can hike a couple of miles down the North Kaibab trail and see the crimson maples :). That's the only trail that is practically accessed via the north rim (the others are far away down FS dirt roads) The aspen may or may not be past prime then.

I've done R2R hikes in mid-Oct 4 times, and if there are no lingering monsoon storms, the hiking weather is ideal. The campground is nice, and has some easy walking to other areas along the rim that are good for uncrowded views.

I'm envious of your trip , although southern UT canyon season is approaching and we are doing two trips based around plein air events, so I'm really looking forward to those.

With those places you are going, a great time is guaranteed, and with some luck and planning, hopefully you'll have some great shots to go along with it .
    Sonya

Art & photography blog

Facebook Studio Page

"I lost my virginity, but I still have the box it came in"