Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Echo--Kid Friendly?

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    The rappels in Echo generally have awkward starts (esp. the last one) and may not be amendable to a side-by-side rappel, though with that small a companion, your rappel is more likely up/down.

We learn by doing things poorly. Since I have already done them poorly, it is not necessary for you to also do them poorly.

Tom
    By "up/down" do you mean like this?

Name:  tandem rappin.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  62.7 KB

That is the method he is most comfortable with and has worked great, except for one time. Hard to see, but that's an BD ATC on an Attache just out of Trevors reach.

That's a great quote--I certainly have been most grateful for a forum with wonderful folks willing to share things that work and things that didn't work so well...

2. Likes tanya liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    By "up/down" do you mean like this?

That is the method he is most comfortable with and has worked great, except for one time. Hard to see, but that's an BD ATC on an Attache just out of Trevors reach.

That's a great quote--I certainly have been most grateful for a forum with wonderful folks willing to share things that work and things that didn't work so well...
    Yup just like that.

And another thought inspired by the pic - giving them a light might be a good idea too, for both Echo and Keyhole. Can be dark in there, no reason not to manage all possible fear-creators...

Tom

5. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    Finding a wetsuit for our 5 yr old has been a challenge. I talked to a gal on the phone at ZAC and she said that the one she had would be a little big. So I've been looking on KSL for a shortie that he could wear under it to bulk it up. No dice, there are a few for sale around Utah Valley, but people don't seem to want to sell them too bad because they won't return my calls.

So, I'm thinking about maybe doing some duct tape alterations to tighten it up, not sure how it will work yet, but I'm willing to give it a try.

I'm open for better ideas if anyone has any or if anyone knows where to rent a wetsuit to fit a 38# 5 yr old, that would be great.
    If you want to drive to Kaysville I have a bunch of small shorties. I'll give you what ever you want. There just taking up space in the garage.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    If you want to drive to Kaysville I have a bunch of small shorties. I'll give you what ever you want. There just taking up space in the garage.

Mark
    Thanks Mark--PM sent.

I think you would be wasting your time with the pool toy in any of the Zion slots. The pools you have to cross are so short that you will spend more time getting the kid in and out of the donut then you would if you just piggy backed them across. This is nothing like the swimming required in something like the Black Box or Black Hole.

When my kids were little I would just have the kids climb on my back with their arms around my neck and swim all the short pools and potholes. We also used to do this all the time at the motel swimming pools and local lakes so it was nothing new to the kids. Only downside is I would not use this method if you are a poor swimmer.

There is just not that much swimming in Keyhole or Echo. Nothing over about 10' in length.

9. Likes ratagonia, Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    wouldn't be too quick to put on warm dry clothes after the last rap in echo,saturday there were two swims after that last rap.
    I agree that it is a bit much for a 5 yr old, between the good hike up, and the multiple cold water pools. the kids will love keyhole, and you don't risk being as over extended.

rick t