Thread: The Book of Mormon Girl

The Book of Mormon Girl

Interesting...the author speaks on the Daily Show with John Stewart.

Part One: http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/th...nterview-pt--1

Part Two: http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/th...nterview-pt--2

2. Likes restrac2000 liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Glad to see a national channel discussing the "progressive" element of the LDS faith. Stewart handled the subject with a fair amount of respect and touched on some interesting elements of the faith; I talk to my friends often about the lengthy maturation of religions and how "young" the LDS faith is comparatively. Not to mention the quick reference to the painful process of assimilation.

Not sure John handled the "survivalist" element very well, he seemed to find the idea a little too funny. I think there are some folks who are a little extremist with the idea but I have grown to understand the nuances of why it is done now that I have lived in Utah for a decade (holy crap, just realized I have lived in Utah for a decade). There is an extremely thoughtful and intelligent component to being prepared to that level (unemployment, minor or major disasters, aid for neighbors, etc).

Joanna Brooks did great and seems a great unofficial spokesperson for the religion.

5. Likes Don, rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post
    Glad to see a national channel discussing the "progressive" element of the LDS faith. Stewart handled the subject with a fair amount of respect and touched on some interesting elements of the faith; I talk to my friends often about the lengthy maturation of religions and how "young" the LDS faith is comparatively. Not to mention the quick reference to the painful process of assimilation.

Not sure John handled the "survivalist" element very well, he seemed to find the idea a little too funny. I think there are some folks who are a little extremist with the idea but I have grown to understand the nuances of why it is done now that I have lived in Utah for a decade (holy crap, just realized I have lived in Utah for a decade). There is an extremely thoughtful and intelligent component to being prepared to that level (unemployment, minor or major disasters, aid for neighbors, etc).

Joanna Brooks did great and seems a great unofficial spokesperson for the religion.

Geez, Phillip...isn't there anything you can't articulate well? Hell sakes, you could make an anchor sound appealing to a drowning man. You should be a salesman...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Yeah, he's pretty damn impressive. It took me a while to get an angle on him...I once referred to him as a "robot", and although in the political realm we are on two totally different planets, once I realized it is completely unnecessary to fight with him (aside from a little ribbing every now and then, he is a sissy, after all) it's much more beneficial to give him the respect he deserves. That means actually listening to what he says. Not too many like him around. The man is talented, you have to admire that.

Thanks for the compliments, though my personal faults and struggles with internet communication are on full display on the the other thread as we speak.

I found the interview with Joanna Brooks inspiring. It seems like mormons have been stuck in the crosshairs during Romney's attempts at the presidency. They are highly misunderstood and often treated derogatively in the media. I stopped listening to Bill Maher a while ago, largely because of his treatment of the LDS faith. I have my critiques of some aspects of the faith/church structure and certain individuals but I have learned it is untenable and unproductive to hold such ideas against an entire people. Just doesn't seem proper or healthy. I think that comes from experiencing how I was treated as a southerner (similar treatment in many ways) when I moved to the west.

Hopefully we can see greater interaction within broader aspects of the American media like we just saw on the Daily Show.

Quote Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post
    I stopped listening to Bill Maher a while ago, largely because of his treatment of the LDS faith.

I used to hate Bill Maher for that. I've learned to get used to him. I saw his movie Religulous, and learned he's an equal opportunity hater of ALL religions. It's a pretty good flick, but it won't increase anybody's faith. He makes a lot of points that are most likely unexplainable to most God-fearing folks.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.