Thread: GPS Software

GPS Software

The "What GPS Do You Have" thread got me thinking. Someone mentioned the ExpertGPS software, and I'm curious what others use. I'd be interested in purchasing something if it met my (rather roughly-defined) needs. I use my GPS primarily for hiking and photography (I download the GPX file, then sync it to my pics' EXIF info). I use Garmin Basecamp and Mapsource, but both seem crude and not feature-laden to me.

• Import/Export GPB, GPX, other formats
    • PC compatible
    • iPad compatible?
    • Can plan routes (not just waypoints), and upload to GPS
    • Can view route "profiles" (i.e., elevation profiles)

I'm sure there are other things I'm not thinkinig of at the moment...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I like the national geographic topo maps software. Good maps with a 3d option. Make trials and waypoints, geotag photos, and sync with all gps devices.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I realize this is an old thread but I have a related problem. My nat geo Topo! software won't work on my new laptop with windows 8 (which will soon be my only computer). I can't find help online, wondering if you have any ideas. Topo! Has been very valuable when planning backcountry trips, drawing routes with the cursor tool, and uploading to my gpsr. Will hate to lose that tool if Topo isn't compatible with new hardware. Thanks for any help or advice.

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I realize this is an old thread but I have a related problem. My nat geo Topo! software won't work on my new laptop with windows 8 (which will soon be my only computer). I can't find help online, wondering if you have any ideas. Topo! Has been very valuable when planning backcountry trips, drawing routes with the cursor tool, and uploading to my gpsr. Will hate to lose that tool if Topo isn't compatible with new hardware. Thanks for any help or advice.
    Right click the icon and select compatibility mode for Win7/XP.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
    Right click the icon and select compatibility mode for Win7/XP.
    damn, and i was going to have him just send me all his old software.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    works on my windows 8 pc from ASUS

I've been mostly using my tablet and smartphone for backcountry GPS. NOt as fast to lock on to satellites and battery life isn't great. Good screen though and easy to use. Fine for day trips or car based trips where you can recharge at night/during drives as needed.

I've had pretty good success with Backcountry Navigator (android) for this purpose.

Any other smartphone GPS users? What are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by phatch View Post
    I've been mostly using my tablet and smartphone for backcountry GPS. NOt as fast to lock on to satellites and battery life isn't great. Good screen though and easy to use. Fine for day trips or car based trips where you can recharge at night/during drives as needed.

I've had pretty good success with Backcountry Navigator (android) for this purpose.

Any other smartphone GPS users? What are you using?
    ...HTC One X for street navigation.
    For field navigation as backup, if necessary.
    Navigon software and CoPilot Live USA.
    In the field I love my PN-60w and TNA10 by DeLorme.
    Do you have a protective cover like OtterBoxes for your phone?

Gesendet von meinem HTC One X mit Tapatalk 2

I've got an extended battery in it for longer life, a bumper case and a Zagg invisible shield. It rides in a chest pack when out hiking and has had no mishaps yet.

...nice setup.
    Thx for sharing info.

Gesendet von meinem HTC One X mit Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the share. I really needed to clear my doubts.

OK, I'm resurrecting this topic as I haven't purchased anything yet. I will, however, in the next week or so.

Nat Geo doesn't make TOPO! any more. Actually, they do still sell it, but only for two states - AK and MN.

I've looked at DeLorme Topo North America v10 (front-running contender - seems full featured), Garmin TOPO US 24K - Mountain Central (uses their "Basecamp" software as back end, expensive, not available as a full US national package), and ExpertGPS (seems decent, but unpolished and overpriced for what you get, no local maps so not usable "off the grid").

Any other thoughts?

I use the Garmin Topo 24k on my GPS's :-)
    Ride On !!!!
    13 Silverado CC 6.2L
    04 YFZ 450
    05 Honda 450 trx
    01 Honda 400ex
    06 KFX 400
    03 Suzuki LT80

Quote Originally Posted by IntrepidTraveler View Post
    OK, I'm resurrecting this topic as I haven't purchased anything yet. I will, however, in the next week or so.

Nat Geo doesn't make TOPO! any more. Actually, they do still sell it, but only for two states - AK and MN.

I've looked at DeLorme Topo North America v10 (front-running contender - seems full featured), Garmin TOPO US 24K - Mountain Central (uses their "Basecamp" software as back end, expensive, not available as a full US national package), and ExpertGPS (seems decent, but unpolished and overpriced for what you get, no local maps so not usable "off the grid").

Any other thoughts?
    I use Garmin MapSource with their 24k topo series. Have never liked BaseCamp. The maps are descent, not great, but as good as anything I can find. I wish there were better options.

I've used (and still do at the moment) both MapSource and BaseCamp, and I agree with your assessment - BaseCamp is kind of lame. Both really don't have a decent feature set, although they are useful for uploading downloading to/from my GPS. I'm downloading my maps from gpsfiledepot.com, which is OK.

I'm not really looking to upload maps into my GPS, at least not now, so that nixes the advantage that the Garmin product might have. I've got the Oregon, which has a smaller screen (for my old eyes anyway) and isn't all that bright in the sun. I'm thinking of upgrading to a Montana, but I don't like the bulk.

I've got the DeLorme product on the way (should arrive today!), so will give a "range report" after I get the chance to look at it over the weekend.