Thread: Differential defined, 1930's

Differential defined, 1930's

I didn't know whether to post this in this forum or in "Four Wheelers", so here goes.

This is an excellent video from 1930's, explaining the differential gear. Skip to 1:50 for the start.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Very informative little video. They didn't mention it, but the biggest downfall of the open diff is that all the power goes to the wheel with the least amount of traction. Fine for dry pavement with equal traction, but not very effective on dirt/sand/snow/mud and especially sandstone. Thank goodness they invented the Detroit Locker.

Side note: I got a kick out of the stunt riders in the beginning, the helmet police will love it too.

I assume they didn't mention it because they were not quite used to the same off-road driving like us modern Bogley folks, so had no use for a diff lock.

Dave, have you got a tutorial on the locking of the differential?

Rob

I found one from the manufacturer.

I will add for those not familiar with it, it's basically a bullet proof devise that puts equal torque to both wheels even if one is in the air. Works basically the same as a ratchet wrench. Ran the Detroit Locker front and rear in my 78 Bronco for years in Moab and after scattering the rear end over the rocks on 2 occasions, the Detroit Locker remained undamaged. I turned around and sold it in order to upgrade the rear axle to a GM 14 bolt with another Detroit. Traction was incredible but one of the greatest things about it was that there were no air pumps or electrical garbage to worry whether it was going to work when you depended on it. It did it's job every time.

Here's the video:

BTW Rob, have you attended any of the games?

Games? As in Olympics? No, but TV coverage is very good here.

I know when I first started off-roading, I'd go around certain obstacles. Now, we're going over them. Evolution is a funny thing In the 1930's, they never would have imagined what is being done today was even remotely possible. Heck, look back twenty years and you can say the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    Heck, look back twenty years and you can say the same thing.
    I attended my first Moab Jeep Safari in '89 and my friend and I were hooked. After a year or two, my buddy who did all the 4+ trails in his full sized '73 Chev 3/4 ton truck (Lincoln locker in rear ), started to get bored and wanted to take all the outer body panels off and weld up a full roll cage...he was going to call it a buggy. We couldn't figure why anyone would want to do that...