Thread: Health Question

Health Question

For all those outdoor active types on the forum:

Has anyone ever experienced chronic numbness in your extremities after rafting/rowing, rappelling or climbing?

It started happening this spring as acute episodes but now seems to be happening chronically and not associated with the sport. Its all in hands and fingers and mostly between my thumb and middle finger. Ignored it at first but the chronic nature of it is now disconcerting.

Gonna go see the doctor next week. Likely to get checked for diabetes since it runs in my family. Seems unlikely though since it seemed initially triggered by rowing.

Any similar experiences or thoughts? Just curious of the various issues it could be, which I assume is large.

Phillip

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Research the topic of thoracic outlet syndrome.
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

First, thanks for sharing.

Second, Eeeh (rib removal)...

No other symptoms that fit exactly. Have neck pains but that are closer to the magnum foramen and seem related to migraines.

That said I am already preparing for the possibility of another EMG (recommended for TOS). Almost punched the technician last time. Sounds like they also did an ECG then as well, which was less painful.

Quote Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post
    First, thanks for sharing.

Second, Eeeh (rib removal)...

No other symptoms that fit exactly. Have neck pains but that are closer to the magnum foramen and seem related to migraines.

That said I am already preparing for the possibility of another EMG (recommended for TOS). Almost punched the technician last time. Sounds like they also did an ECG then as well, which was less painful.
    The EKG techs are the good guys (I am one) no needles:)

Blog Entries
    My first thought was type2 diabetes. Could be nerve damage, not helped by sports that squeeze the blood out of your extremities, which then those blood vessels have a hard time repairing to nerve and blood-vessel damage.

It's a shot in the dark, but the scenario above exactly happened to a friends dad of mine.

That reminds me of a random event that is related to circulation - I did BLM firefighting in St. George between 2006-2007 and the the first fire I went one was a brutal one out on the AZ strip. And I happened to be wearing unbroken in vibram boots with EVERY shoelace tied. Bad idea. After the fire of 2 days, I lost all feeling to my big toe on my left foot. The cause was directly related to tieing my ankle lace. After that, I never tied that section again and never had a problem. It was amazing since it took about 4months for the nerve to regenerate.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Thanks for the response, jman.

Type2 is obviously high on the list. Already setting up a blood test and consultation with my doctor to attack the possibility head on.

I need to spend some time studying nerve damage. I have no idea how long they take to heal. I rowed for 19 out of 25 days when the damage started to be most noticeable. It had started in the spring but never lasted very long, but I only rowed for 3 days and then had a 2 month break.

Hoping its related to rowing and nothing major. Preparing for other options though.

Blog Entries

Health Question

Just curious on (or if it's okay to ask) any updates? A prognosis?
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Fine on blood glucose thus far.

Appointment with neurologist in a couple weeks. None in Cedar and the wait list was long in St George.

Hoping its "just" a sports injury that heals itself.

Make sure they check for Ulnar nerve compression and carpal tunnel syndrome.
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!!!

2008 V2K Classic LT
    2004 Toyota Tacoma
    Schwinn Homegrown
    CouchSurfing
    Patriot Guard Riders

Quote Originally Posted by Pelon1 View Post
    Make sure they check for Ulnar nerve compression and carpal tunnel syndrome.
    Thanks for the recommendation, I will bring it up with the doc at the end of the month.

12. Likes tanya liked this post
    I recently noticed that my right hand has been getting numb lately when I go mountain biking. Sometimes it also happens when I ride my motorcycle. I wonder if it is because I spend so much time riding motorcycles? I ride nearly every day of the week, year-round. Perhaps the twisting of the throttle is taking a toll. I also spend all day on a computer and I am right handed. So Perhaps the mouse on the computer, plus the throttle on my motorcycle combined? Carpal tunnel?

Getting old sucks...