Thread: ACCLIMATISATION

ACCLIMATISATION

I'm new to this site and have already found tons of useful infomation regarding research for my upcoming trip to Zion and Bryce this September. I currently live in NE Penn. where we have hills not mountains or high elevations. I have hiked extensively along the AT and have lots of backpacking experience but I'm wondering about altitudes out west. Our plan is to fly to Las Vegas and drive to Zion then Bryce and backpack/day hike at both. How will my body be ready for this challenge? Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Normally it take 1-2 days to get used to going from sea level to 6000 feet. Another day or two from 6000 to 11,000. The worst that might happen is that you have a headache, sleep baldy, and have less energy while hiking than you normally do for a few days. It is almost impossible to get HACE or HAPE at anything less than 15,000 feet.

I would guess that if you do Zion 1st and then Bryce you will be just fine. That is based upon guessing you will be doing the lower stuff in Zion and the higher stuff in Bryce. But if thats the case you will be a few days into trip before you hit much elevation.

That you aware of the potential problem makes me think you will be fine. Wear sunscreen and dont push it.

Thanks for your responses. I will plan enough time to adjust. Now I just can't wait to get out there!

Jet lag may effect your energy level as well at least during the day of your arrival. A good night's sleep at Zion's 4000 ft elevation should help you in the transition to Bryce's 8000 elevation. Keep hydrated. Some folks have their own idiosyncratic ways of enhancing the acclimation process. Mine is to ingest gingko biloba starting a week before I fly out.

I've been to Zion 4 times, and Bryce twice in the last few years. First time with a friend, last time taking my Dad sightseeing this April-went to Bryce Canyon first on both of those trips. None of us had any issues with the altitude at any time. My Dad and I live in the same area of Alabama, at ~650-700ft above sea level.
    That doesn't necessarily mean that you won't or can't have a problem, as some people suffer from altitude sickness regardless of fitness level, much like some get motion sickness while others do not. If you've done much of the AT, you've probably already hiked at higher altitudes than I had ever been before going out West, though.

btw, the humidity is low, the air quality is high, and the scenery seems to go on forever compared to hiking in the East through woods with occasional viewpoints. I just canceled a trip to CO in September to give me an extra week in Utah in Oct/Nov. Good luck with your trip. You're going to love Bryce and Zion!

I'm back from an amazing 2 weeks spent hiking everyday thru Zion, Bryce, Escalante, etc. without any issues of altitude. Thanks to all for the helpful advice.

How about a trip report?

10. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Ah, trip report.....Started in Zion, beautiful dry but hot weather for a partial hike through the Narrows to Orderville and back, then up to Angel's Landing which was amazing. Got a backcountry permit and hiked into Wildcat Canyon spent the night at some primitive campsite which was the highlight of the trip....away from crowds, quiet. Then did some more of the dayhikes around Zion and headed off to Bryce. At Bryce we enjoyed the difference in scenery with the hoodoos. Hiked the Navajo Loop, Queens Gardens, Peek-a-boo Loop, some other dayhikes then got a permit and hiked Riggs Spring Loop. The trail was a bit confusing at the bottom but after spending an hour sorting out we got back on track. I hike the AT in the northeast all the time and I guess I'm used to seeing white blazes every 10 feet so that I know I'm going the right way . We didn't see any wild live animals but followed some mountain lion prints to a half-eaten carcass of a deer. Off to Escalante to hike lower Calf Creek, beautiful falls. Drove down Hole-in-the-Rock Rd. to visit Dry Fork/Peek-a-Boo/Spooky slot canyons. I've never seen anything like that...truly amazing having to squeeze through such tight spots. Camped out in the desert then headed back to the road.....long drive to Las Vegas for 2 days then fly home. We stayed in a at Mt. Charleston Lodge which was beautiful. Next day we hiked the Bristlecone Trail when I was attacked by a wild animal.....just kidding.....an unleashed dog was charging at me while the owner is yelling how "friendly" she is. She took a chunk out of my leg, 5 deep punctures. Rest of the day spent at ER. At that point I just wanted to get home but still had one day to go. I really don't like Las Vegas...the strip...but made the best of it limping around because hiking was out! So that was the low point of my trip.....oh, wait, also in Utah not being able to just sit down in a bar and enjoy an icy cold beer after a long day of hiking in the heat without ordering food. We ordered a salad.....iceberg lettuce.....hahahaha basically a glass of water to go with the beer. Ugh....In all a fabulous 2 weeks of hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by reverse_dyno View Post
    Normally it take 1-2 days to get used to going from sea level to 6000 feet. Another day or two from 6000 to 11,000. The worst that might happen is that you have a headache, sleep baldy, and have less energy while hiking than you normally do for a few days. It is almost impossible to get HACE or HAPE at anything less than 15,000 feet.
    Not true at all. I've seen folks with severe HAPE below 15k on a number of occasions. And, there's GOBS of physician diagosed data out there for especially HAPE under 15k (I got it years ago at 16K myself...).

So, its not impossible, but, very common.

Acclimatizing from sea level to 11,000 feet in 2-4 days? No way either. Worst that could happen is you could die. Which, I've also seen below 14k (Nepal in Namche from someone who flew into Lukla, a early 20's gal from Sweden. Sad deal).

Anyhoo, for the OP, not as much a deal with the relatively low altitudes of Zion (and wasn't).

Cheers.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum