Thread: Vid: How to add more friction on a Rappel (Z-Rig)

Blog Entries

Vid: How to add more friction on a Rappel (Z-Rig)

Had some free time (finally!) with a few friends on Saturday to do more how-to vids. We're not really sure if anyone is enjoying them too much - but we are, and besides there are not too many vids explaining how to do it.

This is just OUR way of doing it - easy, and to the point.

Enjoy:

BTW - Be sure to watch it in Hi-def and fullscreen for clarity. An iPad or Tablet works really well!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Fun. Good effort, Jman.

Tom

Nice Video Jman. I think straight forward videos like these would have helped me a lot when i first got started, and I'm sure we've got some members benefiting. Good work
    - Gavin

Blog Entries
    Thanks Tom and Gavin!

I'm sure most Bogley members know how to do the Z rap, however, there are a bunch of noobs learning and are afraid to ask for various reasons (ego, afraid of being flamed, not sure how to ask, etc.) and we think at least something's is out there in a fun, easy way to learn.

Well, we have many more on their way - ascending with prusik, ascending with handled ascended, using a petzl stop, how to equalize anchors, how to transition from a wall to free-hang *correctly* (people do it awkwardly it seems we've noticed), how to build a releasable anchor, how to tie a water and stone knot, what the purpose of a belay does (very cool demonstration we did), and many more...
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

6. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Good stuff... nice work.

Sent using Tapatalk

I like!
    Life is Good

I personally wouldn't trust anything shown to me by a man in plaid shorts....
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Nice video--might I suggest, when re-directing the rope through a leg biner, to do so "palm up".

that way if you relax your fingers the rope still rests in your palm. With palm down--if you relax your fingers...........

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Nice video--might I suggest, when re-directing the rope through a leg biner, to do so "palm up".

that way if you relax your fingers the rope still rests in your palm. With palm down--if you relax your fingers...........
    Maybe I am not understanding this but if I start rappelling "regular" style with palm down to brake and then load the leg loop biner, I guess I would have to reach over with left hand, stop myself, let go with right hand and rotate my hand from palm down to palm up? Is there a safer way? Then what when you get to the biner above the rappel device?

Not baggin on you just curious how to do this safely.
    Life is Good

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post

You know whats funny - we talked about this. True, this is the preferable way.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Maybe I am not understanding this but if I start rappelling "regular" style with palm down to brake and then load the leg loop biner, I guess I would have to reach over with left hand, stop myself, let go with right hand and rotate my hand from palm down to palm up? Is there a safer way? Then what when you get to the biner above the rappel device?

Not baggin on you just curious how to do this safely.
    Exactly--hold on with your off hand as you transition to palm up....

You can hold on between the leg biner and descending device.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    I personally wouldn't trust anything shown to me by a man in plaid shorts....
    Of course! That goes without saying...haha
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Actually, I like going to a biner on my LEFT leg loop; then the rope runs across my lap, and I can rotate my hips to control how much friction it gives. And, after clipping the leg loop biner, you don't have to hold the rope UP, which can be a problem. If you're going to the Z-Rig, both will work, but the left LL clip makes a better intermediate step between no-LL clip and the Z-Rig.

Tom

16. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Great clip.

Just a few other notes:

-With half the Z-rig (leg loop only) - you have to go through a lower-friction zonewhen going from arm up (max friction) to lock off (behind your hip). Not dangerous as long as you maintain a solid grip on the brake hand.

-Beginners should also practice this on shorter raps, as the first few times it will feel unnatural to pull up on the rope, rather the down. Note that pulling down still works, but doesn't give the benefit of the added friction. For this reason, some prefer the full Z-rig as it doesn't work "backwards".

-Mind that upper biner with the full Z-rig though if you rap into water and have set the rope length. - it isn't clipped to anything, so grab it preferably before you hit the water and definitely before you swim off the rope!

Haven't tried Tom's trick with the biner in the left leg loop and right hand. Worried about rope rubbing against my belay loop and harness. Will have to give it a try.