Thread: Matches

Matches

After spending the last two weekends in a row in mountain thunder storms, I'm reminded just how bad modern day stick matches are. You can't buy strike anywhere matches like I bought when I was a kid. Heck we used to strike the match on rocks, our zippers, on blue jeans on the back of my thigh, or even on tooth or thumbnail. Once lit, they burned a big flame at least untill all the red on the tip was gone.

Todays modern matchs, almost all need to be struck on the box. 7 out of 10 don't even light, but just seem to smolder off the green or blue tip of the match, Never producing an open flame I'm just feed up with them. I want to go back to my Boy Scout training of being able to light ANY fire with no more than 2 matches. I'd really hate to bet my life on surviving with the stick matchs that I can buy at Walmart.

Where are you guys finding quality matches? Has OSHA or some organization outlawed the material that was used in the old style matches or is just that they are all made in China now days and we are getting that typical cheap product?

Last Saturday riding into Red Castle

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ummm..... i just buy a couple of lighters now days. matches are so old school.

i have seen some waterproof matches which kick butt. one match burns for quite a long time. usually found at the army surplus type stores.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

I have these for emergency use. Really burn well.

http://www.amazon.com/UCO-Stormproof...rproof+matches

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide View Post
    ummm..... i just buy a couple of lighters now days. matches are so old school.
    Most butane lighters don't work very well at elevation. Get up around 10,000-11,000 foot and there just isn't enough atmospheric pressure to get a decent flame. A zippo probably would work just fine, since it's wick based and no pressure is required.

I agree and prefer matches. Here is what I do:

At the hardware store (you don't find them at the grocery or even the Home Depot, go to a local hardware or ACE store) you can still find the strike anywhere style, they will always have the white head on the tips. Then I sort through them for the defects. There are always 10-20 matches that are flawed, either they have twice the amount of sulphur on them or two are stuck together so there is double the sulphur, I'm sure they are considered flaws but I call them opportunities. The double sulphur always strikes better off the box. Dip these in candle wax/paraffin and use them for camping or lighting the firepit in the back yard. I typically will tear off a small section of the scratch strip of the box and tuck it into my match case, it isn't needed but it helps.

Works for me every time.

I like the strike anywhere best too and they're still available though harder to find.

Sort through the box as above. But I don't use wax. Had too many times they wax has run in the heat and caused problems. Stick the wooden end in the edge of a corrugated carboard box so the match stands up. Repeat leaving some space between the matches. Spray on a clear lacquer over all surfaces of the match heads. Let dry. Must be lacquer. Some other spray paints/finishes work, but not all, so lacquer is most reliable. Will be waterproof, easy to strike, not slough off in the heat or agitation. Easy to do a lot at once.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum